Derb Moulay Abdelkader 116, Dabachi, Marrakech, 40000, Morocco

Booking.com Splendia.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Pretty nice Riad in Marrakech, Morrocco

Riads in the Medina of Marrakech are becoming more and more popular with Europeans tourists and they are a nice alternative to those big hotels outside the Medina. We rented a whole Riad for Xmas last year, and had the most wonderful experience, mainly thanks to Zacharia who is the majordomo and Khadiya (I think) the 24 year old cook. The riad is small, only 5 rooms, and we were a party of 8 so we had the riad to ourselves, which was of course pretty neat. The riad is one of the smallest in the Medina, and has a very intimate feel to it -- definitely recommended if your group is big enough to rent the whole place. The decoration of the rooms is a bit "kitsch" and the lighting is really dark, the jacuzzi in one of the rooms isn't worth it -- stil the rooms are all different and have a nice atmosphere. We had breakfast on the rooftop terrace and dinner in the patio on the ground floor, and lunch on the terrace or the patio depending on the mood. The food is very expensive compared to what you get in the Souk but of course it's home made, very fresh, and wonderfully well cooked -- and of course you can ask for what you want (maybe because we had the whole riad, I don't know how it works when there are other people). We had our New Year dinner which was really wonderful, excellent cuisine and the table was very nicely decorated with lots of taste (that was Zacharia). This was our 3rd trip to Marrakech but it was definitely the best. The service is really excellent, smiling and pleasant without being servile, even the young girl cleaning the rooms, and Zacharia would fit into any 5 star hotel in Europe. We also went to a hammam right outside the alley, which we didn't like so much -- it's pleasant to be scrubbed and all, but overall it was a bit too much of everything.

Unique Quality: The structure is typically Morroccan: a blank wall outside with a small entrance. Inside, a small inner courtyard, the patio, in which there is a small pool, with a lounge area. Go up very steep stairs that give out to an inside balcony. The doors to the rooms open out on the balcony. The lattice windows all open out to the balcony, none give toward the street. You can't really bathe in the pool it's too small. There is a tent-like room on the roof with white satin stuff about the bed, which gives it a somewhat weird atmosphere. The other rooms are more in the style of what we would imagine would be Morroccan, without being outstanding, they are quite nice. The owner is a Frenchman married to a Morrocan, and they have made a good job overall, even though it's probably not to everybody's taste. The absolutely outstanding part of our stay was the food and the service. We left huge tips because we thought they deserved it so much more than the owner (while probably being underpaid). Plus it's very well located in the midst of the Medina, a few minutes from the Place Djama el Fna. There is a stall right outside the alley on the left going toward Djama el Fna where they sell and serve small Tagine and chiche kebab which are quite OK for a quick snack.

Oh, we did have to insist on having Morroccan food throughout and not French. I guess it's because their guests usually want French food -- or maybe it's because they feel they can charge more for it, I don't know.

The prices for the rooms seem to be very different depending on the season. They are about average for a riad, not compared to hotels. We reserved through www.riadsmorocco.com. They have a good reputation among the people we know who have reserved through them, and we were quite satisfied with their services.

Directions: in the Medina

More about Riad des Arts

Riad Des Arts

by lucyt about Riad to the north of the square

This place is quite nice. Frankly, I've given up looking for perfect.

The breakfast were different every morning. I disliked that we could only have one cup of tea each in the morning and that it was served from a white plastic thermos flask. Not quite luxury living. But they do have a tortoise. And he lives to poo on the floor and eat peaches.
We had no cold water in our room - only hot or scalding hot - so much so I managed to burn my foot (doh!).
Great great location, although one of the little boys that hang around the front door demanding kisses tried his luck sliding his hand into my handbag. Little sod. Brilliant location.
Nice breakfasts.

WORD OF WARNING: although the websites say that the Riad des Arts accept payment by plastic they do so only very grudgingly and will charge you a levy of 5% so it's worthpaying in cash if you can.
Also on our last day we were due to be leaving too early to have breakfast and as a result had to beg and pay for a cup of tea - even though they were included in the room charge.

Head to the north of the Djemma el Fna, hook a right when you reach Terraces El Ahambra and head off into the souk. Keep going straight on. Take the third left (opposite the hamman of 1001 Nights). Follow the alley, take the first left and it's on the end on the right. Easy Peasy!

Good shop for a quick snack

by chihiro75 about Street Vendors

There's a small shop that sells chiche kebab and small individual tagines (see pix) near the Riad des Arts, which was quite OK for a snack. I think it was 5 dinars for whatever (one stick of chiche kebab, or one tagine, with bread and tomato "salsa" type salad on the side), I have no idea whether this is normal or tourist price. Nothing great and not shining clean, but fresh and safe and the people although not wreathed in smiles are OK. If you're staying in the neighborhood in a Riad, it's a nice change from either the bad and expensive terrace restaurants of Djama El Fna or the food in the Riads. Practically only local people eat there (rather uncomfortable, perched on narrow high chairs at a counter) and tourists usually seem to buy chiche kebab sandwiches. It's better to eat there though and get a tagine.

Riad des Art

by wendolina

Going to Marrakech in July and would like to find a good riad.kind of thinking to go for riad des art.Anyone stayed there before?is it any good?the website looks good but can not find much reviews on the net.help???

by lucyt

hi there: I'm due to stay there next week. I'll let you know how I get on. There is a write up on it in VT which is worth looking at.

RE: RE: Riad des Art

by wendolina

oh.that would be great!!!let me know if it is good.how did you booked the riad.through an agency or direct.i have been trying to book it direct but no one has reply my e-mail yet , when i called them. no one could speak english.Since my french is zero.it is a bit tricky.

by lucyt

Hello again. Got back last night.
Riad Des Arts is okay but that's just about as effusive as I feel about it.
It's in a great location but I'm not convinced that it represents good value for money. Our room was much much smaller than we were led to believe, there was no running cold water (just two taps of hot), the service was a little disinterested and the beds were rock hard. But apart from that it was okay.
There's nothing wrong with the place: it just didn't inspire me I guess.
I've been to better but I've also been to much much worse.
When I go next I'll be going Dar Silsila I think.

ps. Riad Des Arts charge a 4% charge is you want to play with plastic

RE: RE: Riad des Art

by michelleheath

could you tell me the better and worse riads you've stayed in Marrakech.
many thanks