Slimania Flat Apart

11, Residence Slimania, Rue Al Mostaqbal- Lot Ali ou Hmad, Marrakech, Morocco
cityzenbooking.com AMOMA.com Despegar.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Marrakesh

Goat in a treeGoat in a tree

Cafe Toubkal on the main square Djma ElfnaCafe Toubkal on the main square Djma Elfna

marrakechmarrakech

Av. Mohamed VI (Marrakech, Morocco)Av. Mohamed VI (Marrakech, Morocco)

Cigarettes + Car Hire + Toilet!

Hiya,

We're off to Marrakesh on Monday until Friday next week and were thinking of hiring a car for a day to go exploring. Do you guys have a prefered place to hire say a Clio or similar and what sort of cost would it be? Would the price be open to negotiation or a fixed price?

Where is the best place to buy Marlbro Lights in Marrekesh and how much do they cost? Are there any similar local brands that won't rip your throat apart? Are they cheaper at the airport on way home (I know I won't be able to use local currency) and what's the limit if you buy locally?

If we're exploring the old town and nature calls, where's the place to go (female)? In other places I've headed for the nearest McDonalds if there is one!

Thanks
Sue

RE: Cigarettes + Car Hire + Toilet!

by lucyt

Hello,
you can get Marli lights from two cigarette kiosks on the Djemma el Fna: look for a sign comprising three overlapping circles: like the Olympic sign but mini. This denotes a tobacconist. You can also get Gauloise and Gitanes. Gauloise do a nice light cigarette which is worth bearing in mind if you cannot get Marlies. Also, it's quite easy to get Camel.

There's a MacDonalds in Gueliz by the big roundabout - you really can't miss it. If you need a wee in the Medina pop into a cafe: there are no public loos per se that I can think of.
Again, for car hire Gueliz is the place to go. If you're staying in the old city they'll often bring the car to your riad. The best way to find out about this is to wait until you get there and ask the staff. If you're staying in a hotel in the new city, however, it'll probably serve you well to do your own research as the companies may have arrangements in place which benefit the hotel and car hire company at cost to the visitor.

Why do you feel you won't be able to use local currency? If you explain what you mean we can help you more.

by suzyjj

Thanks for the reply Lucy. We are staying in the old town.

What I meant by not being able to pay with local currency was if I bought the cigs at the airport on the way home as I understand Dhirams aren't accepted there. I wasn't sure if it would be cheaper to buy them in town or at the airport to bring home.

I guess if I got them in town I could bring more home than duty frees.

Cheers

by lucyt

Do both :)
I've only bought rolling baccy at the airport and so can't remember if cigs cheaper than on the plane.
If I recall a pack of cigs cost about 32dh in town (about £2).

RE: RE: RE: Cigarettes + Car Hire + Toilet!

by suzyjj

Thanks for the reply Lucy. We are staying in the old town.

I guess if I got them in town I could bring more home than duty frees.

Cheers

by angiebabe

at marjane my guy used to buy marlboro lights for 18 dhm a pack. once on the plane over they were cheaper than that as dutyfree - ie cheaper than the airport duty free. otherwise at gibraltar airport on the way to morocco theyre only £7 a carton. but yay the cig days are over!

by rachelcatherine

We paid about 25 dirham a packet of cigarettes. Marrakech airport has two small duty free shops which are priced in euros.

Travel Tips for Marrakesh

Fresh Juice

by 43beckos

In the centre of Jemaa El Fna Square, you will friend lots of brightly painted juice carts.

These carts supply fresh orange juice to locals and travellers alike, squeezed to order, and are amazingly cheap ( about 20p / 34 cents ), and taste great.

We were warned that the same bowl of water is ued to wash out the glasses all evening, and that this might make us ill, but we did not seem to suffer any adverse effects.

You may also be approached by a local beggar asking you to buy them juice. They will usually give you an old water bottle so they can take it away to drink later, and at these prices how can you refuse.

A Grand taxi from the airport to the medina

by sunlovey

We got a "grand taxi" from the Marrakesh airport to as close to our riad in the medina as the car could get for around 150 dirhams. Grand taxis are probably the better way to go to and from the airport depending upon how much souk shopping you intend to do, thanks to their larger size/bigger trunk space. You should tip the taxi driver.

You'll find several taxis waiting outside the airport upon your arrival. Or you can have your riad schedule one to be there waiting for you with a sign at your arrival time. Upon departure, have your riad/hotel call a grand taxi for you to meet you as our driver did.

We found that grand taxis in Marrakesh do not run on meters, instead, they ask where you want to go, then tell you a fare. Not sure if this can be negotiated, it probably can. We didn't bother as the price seemed fair enough.

Souqs

by sue_stone

One of the highlights of a visit to Marrakech is exploring the souqs (covered markets). The main market area is located in the Medina, north of Djemaa el-Fna. It consists of a maze of narrow alleyways and small squares all lined with colourful stalls and shops selling a wide variety of locally produced products.

The souqs are busy and noisy, with a constant flow of people and motorbikes. Some traders will try to coax you in to inspect their goods and may even offer you some mint tea to help seal the deal. Make sure you bring your haggling skills with you - every purchase must be negotiated and it can take some time to finally agree on a price.

Within the souqs, there are alleyways specialising in a particular type of product. Souq Sebbaghine, for example, is the dyers' market, and you will see colourful clothes being dyed and dried here.

If you are after leather goods, then head for Souq Semmarine or Souq el-Kebir, or to see leather goods being made head to Souq Serrajine.

You may well also come across Souq Attarine where you can shop for brassware, or Souq Hadadine, the blacksmiths market, where you may be lucky to see the artisans at work.

My favourite souq was probably Souq Smata, which is the slipper souq - there is shop after shop of colourful slippers! I also liked the High Tech Souq where the small shops were crammed with electrical goods - televisions were stacked from floor to ceiling.

Medina

by tini58de

The medina is the old part of Marrakesh with narrow streets and pittoresque squares and sites! Unfortunately we did not have so much time - I would love to return one day to get a better feel for this part of the town!

Magnetically Magical Marrakesh

by sunlovey

"A place so full of life and sensory overload..."

The sounds, the scents, the sights and of course the tastes, they continue to flood my thoughts and I want to be back there. My pictures and tips can do this place no justice. But I will try...

I can still hear the call to prayer resonating in my brain, at first, frightening, that first morning at 4:30ish (am) but with time, welcomed, amazing, beautiful...

We never stopped walking, the souks were an endless maze, as were the visions to behold on the square by night, -if- you could steal a peek through the throngs of Marrakeshis, we'd just wander and wander, then wander some more...

Comments