Hotel Rif

More about Meknes

street entertainmentstreet entertainment

the gatesthe gates

Meknes - MoroccoMeknes - Morocco

from the prior hall looking out sidefrom the prior hall looking out side

Travel Tips for Meknes

Tajine

by solopes

The best i Moroccan cuisine is Tajine - a typical claw device that allows the food to cook slowly, enhancing all the flavours. In some restaurants tajine is used in front of costumers, sometimes as a stove.

Heri Essoari

by Doctor38

This place is built by Mouly Ismail. It used to function as a stable for his Horses that were estimated to be 15000 as well as a storage for grains and water. This building was destroyed by an earthquake in 1755 which destroyed many buildings in the city. The first few raw were restored and should give an idea who the entire place looked like. The remaining columns that are fascinating to walk around and photograph. There are plenty of underground channels to store water. This places was a setting for Last Temptation of Christ movie.

You can visit this place daily from 9-12 and 3-6 for 10 dh%*

The Medina II, Walls, Gaits and Doors

by Doctor38

Meknas has wallls that are 25 kms long and has numerous gait, I saw Bab Almansoor, Bab Alnoor, Bab Alkhamees (Thursday gate), Bab Jadid (New gate). the city was struck by an earth quake in 1755 that devastated lots of its buildings and you can only imagine how the city will look if this did not happen.

Bab Almansoor is named after the architect who built it. This Bab was ready during the rain of Mouly Abdullah (Ismail's son). Bab Alnoor (door of light) is next to Bab Almansoor. These 2 doors are South of Place Alhadem.

Volubilis

by iaint

"background"

This is a UNESCO World Heritage Site – a Roman city from the 2nd & 3rd centuries.

It lies 30km north of Meknès, and a visit is easily combined with a trip to Moulay Idriss Zerhoun (as I did) - they are only 4.5km apart.

"the site"

Some of the ruins are remarkable well preserved and give a real sense of what the town must have been like. In particular, many mosaic floors have survived and remain just where they were laid 2,000 years ago.

I didn’t use a guide because I like to “do my own thing” rather than having to listen to every tedious detail about every single bit of the site. I had some good information in my Lonely Planet guide book, and that was enough for me.

"practicalities"

I paid 350 MAD for the sole use of the grand taxi for the whole morning. The hotel organised it.

10 Mad is the entrance fee.

"some more"

The drive out there is almost worth the trip in itself – beautiful countryside – mostly olive groves. They were being harvested at the time I was there (end December). I was blessed with a beautiful morning – very cold and crisp early on with the sun bringing warmth by 10am. Idyllic.

"finally..."

I'm not one for "must see" lists. However, I loved my morning here and at Moulay Idriss Zerhoun and would hate to think anyone might miss out on this. It only takes 3-4 hours (1 hour for the trip there and back).

As well as seeing some fascinating stuff, I had a lot of fun with my driver and my guide.

Comments