Riad Dar Mayssane

Mohammed V MausoleumMohammed V Mausoleum

Ceremonial guardsCeremonial guards

Currency Exchange Morocco Dirhams

by photoangela75

Hi there all....I hope that you can help me out...
I am going to Morocco here in 3 weeks. I checked through my bank and was suprised by the fee they charged me on the dollar to exchange from American Dollars...to Morocan Dirhams. I just read on the Morocco Embassay Website that there is no commision there in Morocco to exchange my money....is this true?

Would I get the most for my money to do my currency exchange there in Morocco as aposed to at my local bank?

Thanks soooo Much....Angela

by ricky52

This is probably true, however, the American Dollar is not as popular as it used to be, so you will need to find out what to take.

by Doctor38

Moroccan Dirham is a restricted currency. You won't be allowed to take it out of the country. I recommend taking dollars or Euro. you can use ATM machines which are availble every where.

Enjoy Rabat and Morroco

by TheLongTone

like the doctor says, it's a restricted currency. You can't buy dirhams in the UK & I would be very surprised if you could do so in the US. Plastic is they way, atms everywhere.

by angiebabe

Already been answered but likewise i am surprised that it sounds like its been done for you when its supposedly a restricted currency and unobtainable outside of Morocco - if theres no commission they just catch it by giving you a poor exchange rate so it helps to compare - banks are better than say the Western union credit union which has always been pitiful.

Exchanging cash probably does overall have a better rate than ATM rates but its the ability to travel without large wads of money around you - using the ATM to get what you need for 2-3 days at a time.

Some places such as the Tangier boat terminal of all unexpected places had excellent rates. Arriving in Marrakech its a pain to have to change money - long queues at the airport wasting time.... ive always otherwise relied on ATMs and kept sterling as a back up in case of any probs such as if you did lose your ATM card (often when the banks stop for lunchbreak their ATMs do too! and eat your card - strange but several times ive had to go in and rescue my card when staff are back or the next morning if it happened late at night - always got it back except once...)

by cabeyp

You still pay commission, but at least you obtaining Dirhams legally

Travel Tips for Rabat

Hassan Tower and Mausoleum of...

by Jrocky

Hassan Tower and Mausoleum of Mohammed V, was very interesting. The Catholic cathedral near the Hotel De La Tour Hassan where I stayed was also very interesting. I did not have much time to be a tourist as I was on a job assignment. Spent many days with Mr Brahim Sidate in Rabat and Casablanca making trips associated with the project in his automobiles. Late July, early August, 1986.
Mr Brahim Sidate, who I worked with was a very good man and host. We spent a lot of time driving between Rabat & Casablanca every day. I met a musician who played at the upstairs bar in the evening at the hotel. He spoke english very well and liked to chat with me between sets to practice his english and ask me questions. He and his girlfriend took me into the central business district of Rabat on the Sunday afternoon I had free. We had mint tea and chatted at a outside cafe there. They walked me back to the street to take back to the hotel and left me on my own. I found my way back and went on up to the Catholic cathedral not far from the hotel.

The project sight was in Casablanca, and spent quite a lot of time on the roof and upper floors of a government building installing two way radio equipment. I can remember the fountian and flowers and trees in the square near that building. The building is where the headquarters of the Gendarme Royale is located.

Souika street

by JLBG

Souika Street runs inside the medina, parallel to the Andalous's wall and to Hassan II avenue. It is the main artery of the medina. When you stroll in the medina, you will always have to walk through Souika Street.

Rice salad, tomato salad, etc...

by JLBG

In this shop, you will find everything ready for a quick lunch, all with bright colors and spices : black olives, green olives, pickles, ready to eat salads with corn, tomatoes, olives, onions and delicious mixtures of spices.

Shoes, shoes, shoes

by JLBG

Shops in the souk are always very small, often less than 15 square meters. Shoes are everywhere, hang to the walls from soil to ceiling and there is only a very small space remaining for the shop keeper ! There is no door but a board that supports more shoes. To go out, the shopkeeper has to crawl underneath !

Official price list

by JLBG

The authorities running the market give the price of the fishes, edited every day, and every shop has to apply that price. The name of the fishes is given in French and in Arab. I give here the English names. Rouget : red mullet
Soles : common sole
Loup : sea bass or sea perch
Dorades : sea breams
Colins : billet or coalfish or saithe or hake
Merlans : whiting
Bonite : Atlantic bonito
Mulet : mullet
Saurels
Raie : ray
Chien de mer : picked dog fish or smoothhound
Sardines : pilchard