Mozambique Hotels

Our Members Say

Casa Babi: Stunning location, wonderful food

Everything was perfect with this guesthouse from the moment that I made my first enquiry right through to the end of my stay. Every email that I sent was answered promptly and communication was excellent. As soon as I informed Sabrina that I was vegetarian, she began planning a menu to fit my dietary requirements.

I was met at the airport by Denis and unfortunately my dive bag did not arrive. Denis located an ATM that took Mastercard, which I had not realised is not widely accepted in Mozambique (see my tip) and then took me to a local supermarket so that I could buy essential toiletries. The next day whilst I was out diving, Sabrina went to the airport and collected my bag for me.

The guesthouse is small, it only has four rooms but it is exquisitely decorated and the intimate atmosphere made for a beautiful stay as I got to know the other guests who were staying there. Meals were magnificent, Sabrina is an excellent chef and the three course dinners that she prepared every evening were to die for.

My biggest regret was planning such a short stay in Vilanculos, I really wished that I had booked a longer stay. Without doubt, this was first class accommodation and I would recommend it unreservedly to anyone. When I return to Vilanculos in the future, I will definitely stay here again.

Exquisitely decorated rooms.
Intimate atmosphere.
First class hosts.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling, Women's Travel
  • Written October 31, 2013

Casa Babi, Vilanculos

Pemba Bush & Dive Camp: An oasis of calm in paradise

I stayed here for five nights and found it to be a beautiful place to stay. In a town that is fast changing, due to the discovery of oil in the area, the Bush Camp was a place of peace and tranquility. Located in a small valley the Bush Camp is a beautiful beach front setting. Access to the camp is off the main road and down a steep lane which is concreted in some places and not all taxi drivers are prepared to take you. If you do go by taxi make sure you negotiate the price beforehand or you will stand a good chance of being ripped off as I was. I had booked a complimentary transfer from the airport but unfortunately no-one turned up which meant my stay did not get off to the best of starts.

The Bush Camp has a variety of accommodations set in a hundred acre site. I stayed in a charming chalet which had an outside bathroom. The chalet was spacious and nicely decorated with original African art. At night I went to sleep to the sound of bush babies and in the morning I was woken up by the sounds of monkeys playing. Electricity is via a generator which runs from noon until midnight. Showers are cold water but as I was there in winter, water was heated daily on a smell brazier and you had to ladle hot water over yourself in the shower. There was access to wifi in the breakfast area whilst the generator was running which was handy.

The staff were fantastic especially Lynne who managed the camp. I was made to feel very welcome from the moment I stepped into the camp and I quickly became part of the family. The Camp offers plenty of activities for the more energetic which are all free of charge. The kayaks are in excellent condition and it is lovely to spend time kayaking in the bay. Each night, a camp fire is lit and it was really nice to sit around the fire and chat with fellow guests. The sunsets across the bay were a spectacular sight. Rudi, the owner, went out of his way to organise my diving and every day he took me to the dive centres and picked me up again once my days diving was finished. Although the camp is called Pemba Dive Centre and Bush Camp, the camp itself no longer runs it's own diving.

If you do not have your own transport then getting in and out of town in order to eat in local restaurants is more difficult. I chose to eat in the Bush Camp itself because it was easier. Food is well cooked but basic and can be considered to be on the expensive side for what it is. The evening meal was a set menu and was $20USD per person per night. As a vegetarian, I was adequately catered for. A limited breakfast was included in the price.

Would I stay there again? Yes. Would I recommend it to others? Yes

An original bush camp set in a magnificent location. Amazing staff who go out of their way to make your stay memorable.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Camping, Water Sports
  • Written October 5, 2013

Sunset at Pemba Dive & Bush Camp

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gamboozini Lodge: Unpleasant stay in Ponta do Ouro

I booked this accommodation after reading rave reviews on Trip Advisor (the first and last time I will use that site). Gamboozini Lodge advertises itself as being voted number 1 for speciality accommodation in a Ponta do Ouro but for the life of me I cannot think why. I have thought long and hard about whether I should post a negative review and I have decided to on the basis that if other reviews had been accurate I would never have stayed there.

On the positive, communication was excellent. Emails were answered promptly and all of my queries were answered. The lodge was very close to Blowing Bubbles Scuba which was based at Gala Gala Eco Camping which was my preferred dive centre. On the negative side I will list what was for me the major issues.
1. The beach is nowhere near a 5 minute walk away as advertised. I am extremely fit and it was a minimum 10 minute walk. The return walk was up a very steep hill through loose sand (all of the roads in Ponta are like this).
2. The sliding door to my room ( the luxury bungalow) was hanging off the tracks when I got there. It was put back on in a manner but only locked when I pushed very hard against it - hardly secure!
3. The room was incredibly damp. The walls had lots of damp patches, pillows were mouldy. The room stank of damp. If you are asthmatic it is definitely not the place to stay.
4. The mosquito net over the bed was filthy. It had clearly never been laundered and was covered with blood splatters where previous occupants of the room had squashed those pesky mozzies.
5. The room was never cleaned during my six day stay.
6. The bar could be incredibly noisy with music blaring out until late - not good if you are getting up early to dive.
6. The resident goat is incredibly noisy at night which keeps you awake.

I really debated leaving after my first night but having paid up front and being close to the dive centre that I wanted to use I decided to tough it out. It is very expensive when compared to other accommodation in Ponta and there is a much greater choice closer to the beach. Would I stay there again? Definitely not. Would I recommend it? Definitely not.

Staff were friendly.

• Related to: Backpacking, Camping
  • Written October 4, 2013

Entrance to Gamboozini

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

VIP Inn: OK for one night in Beira

I stayed here for one night. The hotel is a basic three star hotel and my room was clean and fairly comfortable although the bedding was blankets instead of a duvet. The rooms have air-con which proved to be quite noisy and also wifi although the connection was intermittent and would only reconnect if I stood under the booster in the corridor. On the plus side the room was equipped with a safe that was big enough to take a device the size of an iPad. There was also a mini bar and satellite TV with a few English speaking channels.

There were no restaurants nearby and the restaurant in the hotel closes early with no room service available. The menu was limited and even more so for vegetarians with the basic omelette, fries and salad the only choice. The restaurant was functional but left you feeling like you were sitting in a workplace cafeteria with its furnishings. Breakfast, which was included in the cost of the room, was extremely limited in choice although the food was fresh.

Staff were friendly and helpful but the free transfer to the airport was non-existent and I had to get a taxi.

Overall at an cost of $100USD for a night I felt it was overpriced but with little competition and having seemingly cornered the business marketI don't think that anything will improve in the short term.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Business Travel
  • Written September 7, 2013

Hotel Beira

Mango Beach Resort: Quiet Getaway in Tofo

Mango Beach is in a beautiful location right at the end of Tofo. It a quiet secluded beach resort some way from the main part of the town and only really accessible by 4x4. It is however in a beautiful location overlooking the beach.

Reservation via the internet was straightforward and emails were promptly replied to. The only issue for me as a European was the payment of a deposit prior to my arrival. Mango Beach do not accept credit cards and do not use PayPal and so this meant that I had to use a bank transfer which was quite costly.

The resort itself is basic and has a rustic charm which is something that I enjoyed. Electricity is by a generator that is only on during the evening. I booked an ensuite cabana and found it to be clean and extremely spacious although basic. There was little in the way of storage for clothes etc and nowhere to lock any valuables which I did fid disconcerting. You are expected to bring your own towels as they are not provided.

The location made it difficult to go into Tofo itself at night but Paul (the owner of Mango Beach) proved to be an excellent chef and catered for me extremely well as a vegetarian. The restaurant itself has spectacular views of the beach from one side and lovely views of the sunset from the opposite side,

As I had booked to stay five nights I had a free transfer to and from the airport in Inhambane and Paul was kind enough to take me down to Tofu each day in order to scuba dive and pick me up at the end of the days diving.

Excellent food.
Simplistic charm.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Backpacking
  • Written September 6, 2013

Ensuite Cabana

• CARSONP profile photo CARSONP
  • Reviews: 37

Olar do Ouro: Wonderful guesthouse

Peaceful and quiet. Exceptional personal service and 3 course dinners to challenge a 5 star restuarant

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches
  • Written February 7, 2011

The pool

• brazilnut30 profile photo brazilnut30
  • Reviews: 71

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Girassol: Best hotel in Nampula!

This is a Hotel which has a mini shopping area and restaurant inside the Hotel. It is is in the central part of town and has a internet cafe even though it stays full during the days and their connections is slow.

It is the tallest building in tow so you can stand at the top of the hotel and overlook the town. At the top it has a very nice restaurant that is pricy but has great food!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written May 1, 2010

• ppichler51 profile photo ppichler51
  • Reviews: 1

Pensao Gurue: Mozambican Unexplored Treasure Gurue

Hi Friends of Gurue, Mount Namuli, Namuli Apalis and the Gurue Teagardens

I'm back in Zambezia after several years working around continents helping people in Emergencies and Development Projects.

Until end of 2002 I was running the than well known Pensao Gurue in Zambezia Province. After I left a local accommodation lease brought down the place.

Starting May 2010 I hired a experienced Austrian couple trained in various Hotels in Europe to refurbish and run the Pensao.

Again we welcome Backpackers for Camping, Overlander's and 4x4 Adventurers to stay in our secure Carpark and all other Guests.

I'm available for any question!

Welcome to Gurue

Peter Pichler

skype: peter_pichler
mail: pensao.gurue@gmail.com or peter@peter-pichler.com
mobile: +258843058393

Fair prices and good attention, English and German spoken

Hiking:
The vast area of Mozambique north of the Zambezi has remained virtually unexplored since Jack Vincent`s explorations there in the 1930s. Access to the region is however reasonably good, and a 1998 expedition to Mount Namuli, Gurue re-discovered the country`s only endemic, Namuli Apalis, hitherto unseen since its 1932 discovery and found to be still thriving in the Ukalini forests of this truly spectacular massif. Other exiciting species of the northern forests include the enigmatic and elusive Dapplethroat, Thyolo Alethe and, on Mount Chiperone further south, White-winged Apalis.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written April 12, 2010

• Lebone profile photo Lebone
  • Reviews: 3

Palm caravan park & chalets palmerios: Camping in Bilene

This place is right on the lagoon. The camping amenities are very basic - electricity point and tap at each spot and a communal sink. The bathrooms are also communal but very clean. They also have a bakery on site and each morning breakfast and supper was accompanied by warm, freshly-baked bread. This makes life so much easier since you can just get sea-food from the market, cook on open fire and add fresh bread and a great meal awaits. There's also a restaurant, although I only had drinks there.
The village market is very close by and you can get amazing seafood and fresh veggies. If you wake up early enough, you will find the village women just after catching crabs & prawns from the sea, you can buy from them - most restaurants in the village get their seafood from these ladies.
They also have Chalets on site.

Amazing beach, bakery on site, very clean bathrooms, very cheap, village market very close by

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Water Sports, Camping, Budget Travel
  • Written February 24, 2009

Zongoene Lodge Mozambique: Mozambique's on it budget side

Hotel Description:
It is for Budgeted travels .Where the Limpopo bends and winds to meet the sea there stands a light house. And nestled between the dunes and the trees an unspoiled paradise waits for you.

Room Features:
-The Lodge accommodates a total of 62 guests in two bedroom family units (accommodating four).
-Pool chalets (accommodating two).
-All have en-suite bathrooms
-All have sliding doors
-With wooden balconies
-Provides self catering Dunes camp (14guest can be accommodated in 5 en-suite, fully serviced)
-Private Swimming Pool
-Limpopo flood plains
-Self Catering (Big House accommodates 4 to 6 people)
-2 en-suite rooms (kitchenette, with kitchen helper, dining area and large veranda)
-Pool (located at the main lodge)

Hotel Facilities and Amenities:
-Fish the tidal estuary, the surf, the reefs, or the deep blue sea from our customized ski boats.
-Scuba Dive the local sites or enjoy the delights of the Bilene Reef.
-Discover deserted beaches, massive sand dunes, coastal forest and African villages on 4 wheel motor bikes, or even bare foot!
-Explore the dunes and forest on our 2 hour 4x4 trails, challenging your driving abilities.
-Spot many unusual birds in the delicate eco-systems.
-Enjoy leisurely breakfast or sunset River Cruises along the Limpopo
-Drift down the estuary in your own canoe.
-Enjoy an eagle’s eye view from a micro light. (Seasonal)
-Whale and Dolphin watching.
Extra Features:
-Conference Centre (Capacity of 60 people) Perfect for team building activities.

• Related to: Mountain Climbing, Whale Watching, Beaches

(courtesy of www.thesafaricompany.co)

Hotel Tivoli Maputo Mozambique: A Taste of Mozambique's Hospitality

Hotel Description:
It is a 3 star Hotel.Hotel Tivoli now offers the budget conscious leisure or business.
With an unsurpassed quality of hospitality. Located at the center of Maputo. Even though the hotel is located at the centre an ambience of serenity and complete comfort is at hand. A Hotel that has developed Hospitality to the highest quality.

Hotel Facilities and Amenities:
-5 fully air-conditioned meeting rooms (capacity of 15 to 220 people)
-Comprehensive audio visual backup
-Provides Dinner Dances
- Provides Social Function

• Related to: Backpacking, Business Travel, Singles
Tip Photo

(courtesy of yahoo images)

Pestana Rovuma Hotel Maputo Mozambique: Mozambique's on the Business side

Hotel Description: It is a 4 star Hotel.It is located in the centre of Maputo. It is considered a unique location Business or Holiday stays. Close to the main decision making canters in Mozambique. Also have modern equipment and the best infrastructure in Maputo for organizing conferences, meetings and dinners. Also offers a brand new Business Centre and with number of rooms with internet connection.

- Total 200 rooms

-Telephone
-Mini bar (on request)
-Private bathroom
-Hair Dryer
-Safe Deposit Box (for hire)
-Some rooms also have a balcony

General Information:
-Non-smoking rooms available
-Electricity at 220 volts
-Laundry Service
-24 hour Room Service
-100 room have internet connection capability

Hotel Facilities and Amenities:

-Monomutapa Restaurant (capacity of 98 persons)
Breakfast served from 6:30 to 10:00 and at the weekend from 7:00 to 10:30. Lunch from 12:30 to 14:00 and dinner from 19:00 to 22:30.
-Bula Bula Coffee Shop (Capacity of 80 persons)
Open daily from 7:00 to 23:00

-Diving
-Safaris
-Golf
-Tennis & squash
-Equitation and Flying and ski diving lessons.

• Related to: Safari, Golf, Business Travel

(courtesy of wildlifeafrica.co)

Polana Hotel Maputo Mozambique: Mozambique at its Finest

Hotel Description:
It is a 5 star hotel.It is a hotel close to Embassies, Presidency of the Republic, Ministries and main restaurants and the airport Mavalane International. A colonial building overlooking the Bay of Maputo.

-A total of 164 rooms
-23 Suites
-All with private bathroom, air-conditioning, Satellite TV(14 channels), IDD telephone, modem and computer facilities, free access to the Internet, mini bar, coffee & tea making facilities, safe and hairdryer.
-Can also provide a mobile office equipped with a Pentium Processor, Internet, Mail and Fax Access, Color Printer, Scanner and Color Photocopier.

Room Types available and Facilities:

Polana Mar - Standard Room (refurbished)- The majority are sea facing, twin rooms with verandah. The location of the Polana Mar building is across from the swimming pool. The rooms are quiet and comfortable.
Facilities: Separate bath and shower cubicle, toilet. Television, air-conditioning, hair dryer, coffee/tea making facility, IDD telephone, 24hrs free internet connection modem port, safe, mini-bar.

Polana Main Hotel - Studio Room- L-shaped double rooms, although not possible to convert these rooms to twin or triple rooms. All these rooms are town facing.
Facilities: Bath/shower, toilet. Television, air-conditioning, hair dryer, coffee/tea making facility, IDD telephone, 24hrs free internet connection modem port, mini-bar.

Polana Main Hotel – (Standard Room) -Our Standard rooms, with extra space for small sitting area. Standard rooms have different views, sea facing, rose garden or town facing.
Facilities: Bath/shower, toilet. Television, air-conditioning, hair dryer, coffee/tea making facility, IDD telephone, 24hrs free internet connection modem port, safe, mini-bar.

Polana Main Hotel – (Executive Room) -All our Executive rooms have a lounge area, i.e. sofa, coffee table, within the room. Some of the Executive rooms have an unfolding sofa to be able to accommodate children up to 8 years old.

Polana Main Hotel – (Ambassador Suites)- Beautiful spacious rooms with an open plan marble lounge area. the majority of the rooms are situated on the ground floor. the rooms have either the sea or the rose garden view.

Polana Main Hotel – (Executive Suite)- Majority of the suites are sea facing and have a lovely large verandah, the Executive suites have a separate lounge and bedroom. Some of the executive suites have two bathrooms and two entrances to ensure privacy.

Polana Main Hotel – (Presidential Suite)- The suite is sea facing situated in the center of the hotel on the first floor. The Presidential has got a dining room area for max. 10 people , with an adjacent kitchenette.
Facilities: A guest toilet, a spacious lounge area with telephone/fax facilities, TV and VCR machine, an electronic safe. The bathroom has a Jacuzzi and comes with a separate shower and toilet. The verandah has the capacity for a cocktail to a maximum of 25 people. The Presidential suite has a communicating door to an Executive suite for e.g. children, security, valet etc.

Terrace restaurant
Polana Cocktail bar
Aquarius Bar
Seven meeting and Conference rooms (capacity of 300)
Hotel Gardens

Overhead Projector
Data show Projector

• Related to: Business Travel, Casino and Gambling
Tip Photo

(courtesy of Fihliwe of Flickr.com)

• marcusgermany profile photo marcusgermany
  • Reviews: 2

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Manica Lodge: nice hotel in manica

I´ve stayed in manica lodge in jan. 2004 for a weekend. you will sleep in small huts- like traditional stile houses. this houses have a bathroom with shower and toilet- everything nice and clean.

the Manica Lodge have also a nice restaurant with a nice view to the Manica city and the mountains around.

around manica you can find paintings on stones from ancient bushmen. you should ask in the manica lodge for local people to guide you.

• Related to: Family Travel, Mountain Climbing, Arts and Culture
  • Written June 2, 2008
Tip Photo

The restaurant of the manica lodge

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3546

FATIMAS NEST: BEER, BRAAI AND BEACHES

Fatimas Nest is run by the same nice people who run Fatimas Backpackers in Maputo. It is a nice compound of mixed building that has a commanding view of the whole beach. You can have a great sleep in one of their hammocks overlooking the ocean, sit in their nice outside bar or go for a stroll day or night along the beach. They have accommodation options for everyone: Pre-erected Maru-tents, Private Bungalows, Bungalows dorms built on the sand dunes, and a fully equipped campsite with a lapa and a braai area. All their accommodation options come with mosquito nets. They also have a good restaurant or shared cooking and refrigerator facilities. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

PHOTOS KINDLY PROVIDED BY FATIMA HERSELF (PICTURED)!

• The best views of the beach
• Internet café nearby
• Buffet diner
• Free pickups from town
• Great outdoor and indoor bars
• Excursions/tours
• 24 hour security/car parking
• Swings and hammocks right on top of the sand dunes

• Opinion of Price: least expensive