Damaraland Hotels

• MelanieBee profile photo MelanieBee
  • Reviews: 127

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Palmwag Lodge & Camping: Oasis

We stayed 2 nights at Palmwag Lodge campsite. It's a bit noisy as the 9 campsites are all next to each other, seperated only by a fence. The camosite's ablution facilities leave quite a bit to be desired but it's a welcome stop, as the drive here from Spitzkoppe was a looong one, with 2 flat tyres and also getting stuck in the soft sand when crossing a river. Boy, were we glad to see the swimming pool!!

The desert elephants are often seen in and around the campsite, and you need to be careful when walking around at night.

There is a very nice restaurant and bar in the lodge and also a petrol station and a small shop where you can pick up some supplies. This place really is almost in the middle of nowhere!

From here, you can go on bush walks, bush drives and there is also the option of an excursion to see a Himba tribe about an hour's drive away. There is also a Rhino tracking project nearby. We chose to spend the day at the poolside and relax after all the driving!

A word of warning, though... the lodge is inside a nature reserve (Concession). You may take fresh meat into the reserve, but you may not take it out! When we arrived we saw a family having a braai right next to the gate. We naively commented on what an inappropriate place it was to have a picnic, but our guide soon put us right!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written July 4, 2009

• Cabana_Boy profile photo Cabana_Boy
  • Reviews: 610

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mowani Mountain Camp....: Mowani Mountain Camp....

It had been a long, dusty drive from Terrace Baai. Originally, I had planned to be make it to clear over to the Southern entrance to Etosha and I can’t remember if it was the call of nature or my just wanting to slow things down a bit. After all, plans should change and I was out of mobile phone range.

With no one to interrupt my otherwise perfect day’s drive from the coast into the desert of Damaraland, I pulled out my little map to spot a potential site to bed down for the afternoon / evening. With my throat parched from the Namibian dust that seems to creep into everything, I find a little dot on the map called “Mowani Mountain Camp.” And it’s a good thing my little map lists luxury tented camps.

The warm afternoon sun was beating down on my Jeep as I pulled into grassy plains leading up to the boulder strewn mounts where the camp commands a panoramic view over plains and desert. After securing a tent for the night, I took a cold mid-afternoon shower, donned on my cargo shorts and cracked open a bottle of Guard Peak Merlot to watch the sun finish its track across the empty African landscape. And what was supposed to be a quick, one night stop turned into an unplanned two night stay and trip into the Damaraland to spot the rare desert elephants of Namibia.

Silence……absolute silence…

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Safari, Luxury Travel, Desert
  • Written September 22, 2007
Tip Photo

The view from my tent at Mowani Mountain Camp....

• Gili_S profile photo Gili_S
  • Reviews: 4603

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Xaragu Camp

Xaragu Campsite is private and different from the Official Ones.
It is small camp and was only few guests, you have like your own private shower and the location itself in beautiful.
*It might be difficult to get to it as the road is full of rocks and you might damage your car if you drive sedan model.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written December 19, 2006

• SanguiniA profile photo SanguiniA
  • Reviews: 558

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Xaragu Campsite: Tasteful Campsite in the middle of nowhere

Now this is a sweet campsite in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by rolling hills, you will be rewarded with nice views if you climb up :-) There is ample space for camping, with small tents for the cars too. There is also a nice restaurant and pool.

The decor of the showers was really sweet, someone made an effort for this place to look nice. Oh, another unique thing is the resident ostrich that took a particular liking to our car ....

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Camping
  • Written August 10, 2006
Tip Photo

Xaragu campsite as seen from the surrounding hills

• Myndo profile photo Myndo
  • Reviews: 956

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aba Huab Camp: Camping with elefants

Campground with good, but simple facilities. (warm water comes from fire-heated boilers)

You can search your place yourself.

I would recommend one close to the dry river-bed.

Because, if you are lucky, you can see wild desert-elefants that come wandering through. They have a waterhole closeby where they can be watched.

It is quite a view: you taking dinner and some elefants wandering slowly by only 50m from you!
Also there are some giraffae in the area, so drive cautious!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average