Namibia Hotels

Our Members Say

THURINGER HOF HOTEL: NOTHING GREAT - NAMIBIA

This hotel is part of the Protea Hotel chain which has some beautiful lodges near game parks that offer breathtaking beauty. This hotel is the ugly sister. It’s a nice 3+ star hotel right on the main street of Independence Avenue. All their rooms offer air-conditioning, en-suite bathroom, satellite TV, radio, telephone and facilities to make coffee/tea. That’s about it. No swimming pool. You could stay around the corner for $20 less at a Bed & Breakfast set in its own gardens with a swimming pool. This is more of an easy business hotel to use. Breakfast is included in the room rates. Their website is very useful.

Food and drink:
Cigar bar, Butchers Grill restaurant (www.butchersgrill.com), outdoor beergarden, outdoor lounge area, room service
Services:
Laundry service, safety deposit box, car rental/transport can be arranged.
Conference Facilities:
Several modern conference rooms and theatre
Copy/Fax/Internet

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written August 9, 2012

THURINGER HOF HOTEL

Namibian Elephant & Giraffe Trust Research Centre

I came across this humble, but nice little hostel by chance. It wasn’t until I notice a very faded sign saying “Namibian Elephant and Giraffe Trust Research Centre” that I realise there was a bit more to the story. In terms of hostel accommodation, it’s cheap, clean, quiet and friendly. I was greeted at the gate by a large lazy dog that was very happy to see someone else who might feed him. An older lady appeared, let us is, and showed us around. The rooms were basic, had good beds and low prices. In addition to the rooms there was a large dinning area, kitchen to cook in and a toilet/shower block. Plenty of hot water and clean enough. I was bale to get food to cook from a nearby store and cook up a nice meal.

The hostel buildings are in a massive gated enclosure patrolled by the large dog. Although, if you feed him, he doesn’t do his walks. The place is absolutely silent. No music, loud talking, nothing. I enjoyed a good night’s sleep – which is what you need if you are driving Namibia. For the cost, quiet and relaxing atmosphere, I highly recommend it. I had already tried other locations and found they were above my budget. This place was below my budget and I enjoyed my 1 night stay. I could park me vehicle inside the locked gate and close to my bedroom. Nothing is a problem here.

The interesting thing is that this is the home of a foundation headed up by a man called Keith Leggett. He and his organization try and protect large wild animals in Namibia. So the little money you pay even helps protect Namibian wildlife.

• Written August 5, 2012

Namibian Elephant & Giraffe Trust Research Centre

MUKUSI CABINS: CHEAP CABINS - CAPRIVI STRIP

This place is an absolute crossroads of the world. Located next to a petrol garage, you can go off to the left for Zambia or off to the right for Botswana and Zimbabwe. They offer a range of cabin types with most having shared toilet/shower facilities. It keeps the price down. They have a good restaurant and bar with reasonable prices. They also have parking and 24 hour security so there are no issues. The cabins are basic, but offer comfortable beds and are set in thick gardens. Overall it is quiet and you can have a good rest here. The only problem I did find is someone smoked in my room before I stayed there. You won’t get better cheaper around here. If you are on the road this is the place before the borders.

Please note the website is for a Tour Agent who will charge you a non-refundable deposit. The hotel has no website. You can email or telephone the hotel and make a reservation without a deposit!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Motorcycle, Road Trip
  • Written July 13, 2012

MUKUSI CABINS

• magor65 profile photo magor65
  • Reviews: 819

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Himba camp: Shower under the blue sky

Another campground which I liked very much was a camp near a Himba village in Kunene region. Set picturesquely among rocks it was more compact than the one at Spitzkoppe. Although as usual there was no grass, at least the trees gave some shadow.

I liked a shower under the sky. It's true that it was very simple, not to say primitive, but clean and so well composed into the background. It was fun to take a shower under the blue sky, among the rocks. Of course it was great because the weather was hot; I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it if it had been cold.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Camping
  • Written August 27, 2010

a shower under a cloud

• magor65 profile photo magor65
  • Reviews: 819

Spitzkoppe Community Campsite: Bush camp at Spitzkoppe

If you are a budget traveller you must be prepared to be satisfied with cheap accommodation. In Namibia it usually is a tent in a campsite. Although before my trip to Africa the last time I had slept in a tent was about thirty years ago, I didn't hesitate. Generally, the camp sites were O.K, although after several weeks I was fed up with the dust - a piece of grass to pitch your tent on is just a dream in this arid country.

What's surprising, the camp sites which I remember as the nicest were those with hardly any facilities.

The bush camp at Spitzkoppe consists of several secluded sites among the rocks. The views are stunning at every time of the day, but also at night when you sit under the enormous sky studded with stars. The place is so unique that you don't mind the lack of ablution blocks. Each site has a toilet, but it's just a long drop one.
At the entrance to the camp there's a funny little Manager's house and a bar.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Camping
  • Written August 27, 2010

a long drop toilet

Swakop Lodge: Swakopmund

I stayed at Swakop Lodge mid-overland adventure. So after 10 days of camping in the middle of no where, any hotel/hostel with a bed would look good!

The beds in this place were comfy, it was debatable whether or not the sheets were clean when I got there (they felt a little gritty, like there was sand in the bed) and the duvet and pillows were lumpy. This says to me they have been cleaned, but still not ideal. I stayed in a 6 person dorm. There were also 15 person dorms and double rooms available.

There is a night club upstairs that charges locals N$10 cover, but as a guest you can get in for free. Since the nightclub was upstairs there was pounding music all night long, and drunk people wandering around the hotel. One night we heard shattering glass, of the glass in one of the hall doors breaking.

As a younger traveler this place might not be so bad but for me (a mid-30's traveler) I would have preferred a quiter, maybe more expensive location.

• Written June 22, 2010

Sesriem Campsite: Close to Dune 45

Sesriem Campsite is the only campsite located inside of the Namib-Naukluft Park (location of Dune 45 and Deadvlei). The gates of the park open at 5:30 am and staying here ensures that you can arrive at Dune 45 in time for sunrise.

The facilites at the camp are pretty good. There is running water and hot showers. There is a small shop next to the reception that sells cold drinks, snacks and ice cream and a bakery next to that that sells delicious apple streudel and blueberry muffins.

This campsite provided the BEST sunset of the trip (see my Namibia home page) and I will never forget my stay here!

Price - N$300 per campsite + N$150 per person

pool, bakery, snack shop and the BEST sunsets of my trip!

• Related to: Desert, Camping
  • Written June 17, 2010

Spitzkoppe Rest Camp: Camping at Spitzkoppe

Spitzkoppe Rest Camp is located at the base of Spitzkoppe, Namibia's second highest mountain. Each campsite is nestled in a rock canyon and offers the campers complete isolation. The views are magnificent, as are the sunrises and sunsets which reflect off the red of the rocks. It is possible to hike and rock climb in the area and there are a number of "attractions" including multiple rock art paintings that are about 4000 years old.

Facilities are minimal, long drop toilets and no running water but the setting more than makes up for it.

This is a community run camp and all the proceeds go to the adjoining village of Groot Spitzkoppe.

Price - N$35 per person

• Related to: Desert, Road Trip, Camping
  • Written June 17, 2010

• GitaP profile photo GitaP
  • Reviews: 45

Namib Desert Lodge: Most Economical Lodgings

Namib Desert Lodge
Laying at the foot of the oldest fossilised dune, 60km north of Sesriem. It has about 60 odd ensuite very comfortable rooms set in gardens. Comparatively cheap in contrast to other close hotels, its a explore the landscape surrounding the lodge, including the mountains and the dunes. The food is terrific and served in a large restaurant. The highlight was sundowners on the dune - providing magical vistas over the surrounding mountains.

Great views and fabulous helpful staff

• Related to: Road Trip, Eco-Tourism, Desert
  • Written May 1, 2010

• maitegarris profile photo maitegarris
  • Reviews: 1

Okaukuejo Resort: Okaukuejo

Impresionante, poder ver los animales tan cerca es algo que no te puedes perder. A pocos metros puedes estar sentado en un banco viendo atardecer y anochecer viendo como elefantes, rinocerontes , leones..etc vienen a un charco a saciar su sed.
El resort es precioso y sus instalaciones super cómodas.

piscinas, vistas impresionantes.

• Written March 28, 2010

• cafank profile photo cafank
  • Reviews: 286

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Municipal Restcamp Swakopmund: Swakopmund - a Wonderful "Restcamp"

Not sure what to call this accomodation - a Restcamp - but a hotel, motel, guesthouse - type accomodation.

Really enjoyed my stay here (4 nights). We were in an A Frame cabin with accomodation for 6 people. Kitchen had basic facilities but no cutlery - paper plates we bought and that was fine, there is a barbecue outside eaach house. The bathroom was clean and tidy. A small sitting area. Great for sharing.

There are lots of different types of 'houses'- 2 bed, three bed etc, some luxury with TV. There is a restaurant on site and breakfast can be delivered - but it's nicer to go into town!

Loved the location, quiet, and a short walk into town.

A nice place for a 4 day rest - if you can call it resting in Swakopmund where there is so much to do!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Women's Travel, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written February 18, 2010

Swakopmund Rest Camp

• Gili_S profile photo Gili_S
  • Reviews: 4605
Onkoshi Camp in Etosha National Park: Newest and modern camp site

The Onkoshi Camp in Etosha National Park is the newest in Etosha and surely look fantastic.
This is the most modern and exclusive campground and if you really want to have a special time while in the nature, this is the place to stay.
It is located near north east part of the park.

***** Please note, this is not part of the self-drive area in the park so you will be picked up from the gate or Namutoni camp and be transported to this camp.

• Written January 23, 2010

Taleni Etosha Village: as close to Etosha as one can get

WONDERFUL!
Cool, tastey and much appreciated welcome drinks on arrival. Very friendly, helpful staff who showed us around the "site"
Incredibly child friendly.

Superbly laid out - very aesthetically pleasing with brilliantly thought out luxury tents, complete with shower, toilet, heater, lights, electricity point, fridge... Very clean and very comfortable. One of the best places we stayed at in our entire Namibian adventure.

The only downfall - we visited in Namibian winter. Gloriously hot days but the night and early morning were FREEZING and there was only so much the heater was going to do. Going outside in the night or first thing in the morning to use the toilet was for the brave hearted only... or until you could really hold on no longer!

The outdoor shower was soooooo lovely. I loved this place.

We paid N$915.65 for a family room, self catering - there are restaurants within the village.

The only downside... I paid for the room in advance (credit card). When we checked out after one night my husband went to the reception to settle our bill (we had had dinner and breakfast there). The receptionist told him the room had not been paid for, my husband accepted this and handed over the creidt card... the credit card machine for some reason would not work on ANY of my husbands cards (he assumed because this is Africa and everything can be "temperamental) and so he parted with cash. Laster when he told me I was very angry and phone Taleni Village - they were very upset and investigated but with no receipt and no proof there was nothing we or they could do.... the receptionist had clearly made himself a nice bit of cash... VERY annoying but our lack up 4am communication about money/payment... and we paid the price!
I would go back here though.

beautiful... ideal
wonderful location

• Related to: National/State Park, Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written January 1, 2010

Okaukeujo Resort: inside Etosha & with a floodlit waterhole

It was NOT at all easy to get booked into this resort and EVERY website and agency had a different price... not to mention they ALL wanted to offer me premium rooms which, looking at the price maed me say OUCH!

Obviously it is most convenient to stay inside the park - you only have the entry (paymentand form completions) once and with a lovely waterhole for night viewing you really get the maximum out of your visit.

The room was clean and comfortable. We had a family room and whilst on the map of the resort it looked to be as far from the waterhole as they could put us, it really was just a stones throw. There is a swimming pool which I sniggered at - like I was going to sit by a pool when there were lions and elephnats and kudu to look at... but being very tired on day 3 o Etosha with 2 restless children in the back of the car, the pool actually was a nice restbite for a while and certainly made the kids happy again.

The waterhole here is great and the viewing area is big enough to accommodate plenty of people so there is no mass panic to be the first person there. It was a most active waterhole and somebody told me it is the best waterhole of all of the resorts. As this was my only experience I cannot say if that is true but certainly I would go back to this one and most definitely I would recommend it!

Opinion - for the night waterhole experience I think you would have to go a long way to beat it.
But I was happy with one night at the waterhole - I was treated to so much there.
I stayed at other accommodation just outside the gate which (after one waterhole experience) I preferred and would return to (and was cheaper on the old wallet too!)

For a family room here, including breakfast I paid N$1916.67 (July 2009). I shopped around and did not book direct. This was a good price.

My only complaint - as you can park right outside the sleeping cabins, there was a lot of noisy coming and going. Why people have to TALK AT THE TOPS OF THEIR VOICES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WILL NEVER KNOW but, this particular group of travellers left their Land Rover lights on so I felt rather vindicated as we snuck off quietly!

inside the park and with a glorious floodlit waterhole.

• Related to: National/State Park, Road Trip, Spa and Resort
  • Written January 1, 2010

Ojitotongwe Cheetah Reserve: Grrrrrrrrrrr meow

Arriving at the "farmhouse" where there is a sign ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK ... and quite right too... they have a couple of "domesticated" cheetahs prowling about their personal land... not to mention (when we were there in July 2009) a cheetah cub full of teeth, claws and mischief!

We followed Mr CheetahMan in our car to our cabin - lovely - away from anybody else and... right besides an enormous enclosed area which had a mummy cheetah and all her cubs - and they happened to like it down by us.
Our accommodation was not why we were staying here - we were here for cheetahs. It was however clean but it was basic and perhaps our timing was out of keeping with a possible solar system(?) but at no point did we discover any water that was so much as luk warm... and we were here in winter so the idea of showering in the freezing night or morning, in cold water was far from appealing! The pros of this place certainly outweighed this one con!

There is a bar... and a very well stocked bar at that too.

The dinner was absolutely scrummy. Some of the best foodwe had in our entrie time in Africa.

Mrs CheetahLady was so friendly and so child friendly with free gifts for the boys (one of whom was having his 8th birthday) - a nice touch.

Outside our accommodation was an UBER FIRE and we sat out until very late, under the beautiful Namibian (night) moon. Was a very special night.

N$600 per adult & N$300 per child including breakfast.

Master CheetahMan (Mr CheetahMan's son - one of two) came to collect us in the back of his pick up truck and together with 3 French campers and an enormous bucket (which we would later discover contained donkey legs) took us up to the house where we had the delight of meeting the "domestic" cheetahs. Amazing. Simply amazing and awesome (and very pampered pussy cats) BUT nowhere near as amazing as going out and having a dinner rendezvous with the wild cheetahs they had rescued.... enter the donkey legs.
Really the wild cheetahs were really the most incredible encounter. I was absolutely entraced by them and could have cried when our chetah time was all over.
If you can then DO IT! You will NOT regret it. Amazing creatures and an amazing place.

• Related to: Farm Stay, Road Trip