Hotel Pension Uhland

More about Windhoek

Quiver treesQuiver trees

Rent a car in WindhoekRent a car in Windhoek

Pictures from WindhoekPictures from Windhoek

African necklase, bracelets and pendantsAfrican necklase, bracelets and pendants

best way to phone?

by christine.j

Hello, I have yet another question concerning my daughter's trip to Namibia. What's the best way to phone home to Germany from Namibia? Does anybody know, if a cell phone(text message) works? However, I suppose it would be very expensive. Can you buy a phone card to use at a public phone? Or are there internet cafés to send e-mails?
I suppose that's a typical "mother's question" but I would like to get in touch with her from time to time.
Thanks for any reply.
Christine

by christine.j

Hello Gerald, thank you very much for reassuring me. We checked with the cell phone supplier here in Germany and her cell phone should work. Thanks again, Christine

by christine.j

Hello Gerald, my daughter just turned 24 , so I know I shouldn't worry, but some things never stop. She'll be on her own, volunteering in an orphanage. We assumed she could take a taxi from the airport to the youth hostel, but the lady from the orphanage said that's too dangerous for a young woman on her own.She said, no buses, no taxis . So my daughter has to pick up a rental car directly after a long flight and drive - for the first time on the left side - to the youth hostel. Once she's there she's going to phone me and it's this phone call I'll be waiting for! So I really appriciate your help. Thanks again, Christine

by glennkasner

What we did on a recent trip to Malaysia was to get a pay as you go kit upon arrival. We then corresponded via SMS to friends & family in South Africa.
Using your own sim card could let you in for a shock when the bill arrives as all your calls will be billed as international calls (incoming calls from home as well)

By getting a "local" sim card & starter pack you couls sms your number to those who needed to have it (not the boss) and you have more control over who can reach you as well. Loca calls for calling restaurants, taxis etc are then done at local rates

by minstrel74

Christine,

I was 25 when I visited Namibia and my mother worried quite a bit. I thought phoning back home to the U.S. would be too expensive, so I ended up sending e-mails. There are a a few excellent internet cafes in Windhoek, so I wrote home nearly every day. We communicated more on my trip than we did when I was at home! Anyway, just wanted to point out that e-mail is eminently feasible from Namibia. Don't know about the smaller towns, but Windhoek and Swakopmund for sure.

Keep in mind that there is a very extensive network of travelers and western aid workers (many in their 20's)in Namibia at all times of the year. Your daughter will have plenty of company just about anywhere she goes, so making trustworthy friends and communicating with the outside world is a breeze.

Let us know if we can provide any other information.

Sean

by Soili

Hello,
I have just learnt from a Namibian visitor that there are two types of mobile phones used in Namibia. The other one is for internal use only, but another one is for calls abroad as well.
I should think there are netcafes in Namibia, and I have seen at lest one working email address provider - iafrica.com.na.I should think the larger hotels and guesthouses provide use of internet, too, for a pay.
She will be fine, don't worry....but as an experienced auntie, I think I know what you're going through on your mind.The advice about the cars is a good one - let her drive the car..
The roads are in excellent condition in Namibia; please,note that it's dark there after 6.30pm. No driving then, maybe.
regards,
Soili

Travel Tips for Windhoek

So Dry...

by THLIN

It's really funny for me, because I never ENJOY natural hair drier. It's do dray that you don't even need any hair drier after washing your hair. This rule is not for man only, but also good for lady with long hair. So, next time no worry for your wet hair. But it may be a little bit annoying if your hair is easily damaged. XD

Street names in Windhoek

by georeiser

Many of the streets in Windhoek have German names. And some streets have names after head of states in foreign countries, like Oluf Palme street, Robert Mugabe Avenue and Fidel Castro street. Most of the names of from countries with a socialist governance.

4 changes that is enough 1 hunt 1 in wash i dinner

by katherinehoward

hunting gun case is one piece of luggage so you have one piece for clothing walking and hunting thats it convient for airport shoe removal with velcro doctors letterhead of prescriptions bring in to country of choice wifes of hunters get a copy of gun permits in your name also for emerg purposes if something happens to husband or you bring too many of same caliber you cannot take out of country then what?

PERFECT for a sundowner

by Edla about The Wine Bar

During the week it's a great place to pop by quickly ater work, just to unwind and watch the sun set. During the weekend it's a great place to hang out and have lovely conversations with friends with soothing jazz sounds in the background.

Did I say that it's perfect for watching the sun set? Well, it's perfect for watching the sun set...given the fact that Namibian sun sets are the most beautiful :) They don't really serve food but have all kinds of stuff that compliment wine drinking, like cheese platters with crackers or sea food platters etc. They also have the most delicious chocolate cake, which is of course my favourite :)

Oh, by the way. You can also book out an entire section for a private dinner or whatever.

The White Lady.

by euzkadi

At the State Museum located at the Old Fort there´s a replica of the famous White Lady. This painting is the most known of some 45.000 figures painted in prehistoric times, and is at least 1,800 years old. The original site of the painting is at the Tsisab Gorge in Twytelfontein.

Comments