Sossusvlei Desert Camp

D826 road, P.O. Box 6900, Sossusvlei, Namibia
Desert Camp
Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Namib-Naukluft Park

Deadvlei through impaired lensesDeadvlei through impaired lenses

Sundowner in Namib dessetSundowner in Namib desset

Tsauchab river valleyTsauchab river valley

From Deadvlei levelFrom Deadvlei level

Travel Tips for Namib-Naukluft Park

THE GROUP MEAL

by DAO

This could have been a real disaster. I gave 3 people a ride here from Windhoek and had absolutely no supplies except 2 litres of 8 year old Scottish Whiskey. And bottles of water. They have a small shop here with VERY limited supplies and no restaurant at the Sesriem Campsite. I bought the few tins of luncheon meat that they had and some beans we never ate. Luckily my fellow travellers had things like bread, tomatoes, salad, cheese, you name it. Even peanut butter! At the end of 8+ hours of driving across some of the worse ‘roads’ in the world – it was an absolutely 3 star culinary delight. One of the best meals I have ever enjoyed in my life.

I still ended up with 2 tins of pilchards no one wanted. I left them at another site for whoever was brave enough to eat them!

Undeniable Beauty

by SanguiniA

This place just goes to prove that deserts are not flat and monotonous, they are beautiful and varied terrains with so much interesting details hidden if you just bother to look. Definitely the best things here are the dune desert area in Sussusvlei and the haunting Deadvlei - some of the most lovely landscapes I have ever seen. Definitely the sunrise over the dunes. The atmosphere and the feeling of peace and unison with nature is something that I cannot describe in words, or in photos. You just have to experience it :-)

Photography

by nigelw6443

Iwas equipped with a 35-55mm and 80-300mm. I also had skylight filters on both although I think a good option would be a polarizer filter. The filters are not only good for cutting out UV rays and improving the colours but they also protect your lens. The dust gets everywhere!

A cleaning kit is essential! I was cleaning my camera every day but still dust gets in!

Keeping your camera ina plastic bag when not in use is not a bad idea either.

I took spare batteries, which turned out to be a god send as mine died just after Ganab.
You don't have many opportunities to buy these unless you are going through a large town, but the prices are a bit more than at home.

Film is another essential. I took 20 rolls varying from 100-200 and 400. I found that when in the desert 100 worked well the faster film I saved for the safari.

Weaver bird nests

by Myndo

You can litterally find them anywhere, it just has to be above the ground.
Trees and Quivertrees and Telefone poles (a nest with cable, isn´t that nice?)

The Telefone poles you can find crossing this wide country like the net of civilisation. Mostly they follow the roads.

The nests can get real huge, too. I have seen trees crashed under them. It seems to happen with the telefone poles as well..

In the picture I have painted a sheep, looking up to all that grass and thinking: "all the good food is up there.."

DO NOT GO OFF THE BEATEN PATH

by DAO

Don’t even think about it. You will die of thirst. Stark isn’t it. The National Park is huge and going off on your own means no one will ever find your bleached bones. No one will know you are missing or look for you. Throughout the majority of the Sand Dune Sea there is no source water or shade. So stay on the path or ‘road’.

Comments