Outjo Hotels

Our Members Say

• Reviews: 3557
BAMBATSI HOLIDAY RANCH: DON'T TRUST THEM !

Located somewhere between Outjo and Khorixas is this place I believe is completely overpriced. They really cheesed me off. I was driving towards the end of a long day and saw their sign showing some stars and looking inviting. I went through the gate and drove for miles and miles on a bad path that nearly damaged my car. Then I came up to a place that did not look that great. In fact it looked worn and dirty. I was met by an unsmiling lady who told me she had one unit left and showed my a dark and very univiting room that looked like it needed to be repainted completely. She then quoted me a sky high price. I couldn’t afford it and she would not negotiate. She got zero dollars and I got going. Back to the road.

The worst part is that there is no idication on the sign several miles from the road what the prices are or a phone number. I arrived in the late afternoon - and you cannot drive in Namibia at night. Hitting an elephant or other large animal in the dark with a car is fatal. I wasted at least 30 minutes getting from the gate to see the place and then back on my travels. It is 5kn one way on a path through rocks, streams, dirt, mud and steep hills. This is a deliberate trap to get you to stay and agree the price in my opinion. Sorry - after driving 10 hours I do not appreciate the attitude I was given. She would not have filled the room. I was willing to go towards her price - but nothing. They mention camping on their website - it was not offered to me. They show a sign with a phone number on it on the website - I think the photo has been edited. You can see the sign I saw below.

Not recommended by me.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Motorcycle, Luxury Travel, Road Trip
  • Written August 5, 2012

BAMBATSI HOLIDAY RANCH

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Namibian Elephant & Giraffe Trust Research Centre

I came across this humble, but nice little hostel by chance. It wasn’t until I notice a very faded sign saying “Namibian Elephant and Giraffe Trust Research Centre” that I realise there was a bit more to the story. In terms of hostel accommodation, it’s cheap, clean, quiet and friendly. I was greeted at the gate by a large lazy dog that was very happy to see someone else who might feed him. An older lady appeared, let us is, and showed us around. The rooms were basic, had good beds and low prices. In addition to the rooms there was a large dinning area, kitchen to cook in and a toilet/shower block. Plenty of hot water and clean enough. I was bale to get food to cook from a nearby store and cook up a nice meal.

The hostel buildings are in a massive gated enclosure patrolled by the large dog. Although, if you feed him, he doesn’t do his walks. The place is absolutely silent. No music, loud talking, nothing. I enjoyed a good night’s sleep – which is what you need if you are driving Namibia. For the cost, quiet and relaxing atmosphere, I highly recommend it. I had already tried other locations and found they were above my budget. This place was below my budget and I enjoyed my 1 night stay. I could park me vehicle inside the locked gate and close to my bedroom. Nothing is a problem here.

The interesting thing is that this is the home of a foundation headed up by a man called Keith Leggett. He and his organization try and protect large wild animals in Namibia. So the little money you pay even helps protect Namibian wildlife.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written August 5, 2012

Namibian Elephant & Giraffe Trust Research Centre

OUTJO BACKPACKERS - CLOSED

OUTJO BACKPACKERS - CLOSED

This backpackers is listed in multiple guidebooks, but was sold to a wholesale business. The Café-Backerei in front is still open. There is a backpackers in Outjo which is nice. Just email me if you would like details

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written January 19, 2009

• Myndo profile photo Myndo
  • Reviews: 956

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Afri Cat Fondation: Big Cats and Luxurious Accomodations- AfriCat

Ok, this was the "luxury" highlight of our trip, so don?t expect it to be cheap.

Afri Cat at Okonjima is not only a lodge. They want to conserve and rehabilitate Africas big cats such as leopard, cheetah and lion. So if you have missed them somehow until now, here's the opportunity not only to see them, but also to learn something about them.

The rooms are very comfortable, and there are a lot of activities, so don't arrive too late (around 3 p.m. is ok).

The food is very good, too (5 stars), so is the service.

In the evening you are going on a jeep drive to look after some leopards. It can be a challenge finding them, but sometimes they find you earlier !
Our driver was quite surprised how close the first male was.

In the morning have some coffee right in front of some big, sleepy lions.

After that go help feeding the cheetahs. No, they aren't shy. Some of them even jump on the jeep (the open jeep) you are in :-)

Don't expect that this is a "just touch the animals, it?s ok". farm as some others are.
The first thing you do here is sign a paper, with what you confirm, that you understand that these are wild animals and the proprietors of the lodge are not responsible if you behave stupid and get hurt (!).

The farm is also quite big, so sometimes you have to drive some to see the leopards, but it is worth.
Also you will get a lot of information about the fondation.
You are already sponsoring it by staying here, but any help is apreciated.

Don't miss "Mister pig" the house - warthog! I have never seen such a big and lazy exemplar.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

• Reviews: 956

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bambatsi Holiday Ranch: Dinner with a view - at Bambatsi

Located opposite of the Ugab Terraces -
unfortunately you can not see the from there, but never mind, the view is spectacular enough.

Bambatsi is one of the oldest Guest Farms of Namibia.

You stay in rustical Bungalows (see picture) with all stile- and luxury.
Warm water is beeing made with fire under the boilers outside of the bungalow.

Afternoon- round drive on the farm is included (if the owner doesn´t have to buy some food in the over-next town, which is about 200km away).

Dinner on the terrace while the sun goes down and the stars come up.

• Opinion of Price: about average