LAICO Umubano Hotel

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Rated 15% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Hit and miss

I've stayed at the Umabano over a period of several months so feel well qualified to comment on it. For me, it was a convenient location. The rooms were comfortable if a bit tired (the bathooms especially), the pool was good and the food I thought adequate.

The guy who said this is the worst hotel he ever stayed in obviously had a bad experience or has been very lucky not to stay in some of the hotels that I've stayed in! But if you asked me to sum it up, the word would be 'inconsistent'. The staff, whilst generally (though not always) pleasant, are pretty poorly organised. The waiting service in the restaurant during my last stay seemed pretty unattentive in an unbothered kind of way. And the internet connection is fine when it works - but it seems to be down more often than not.

So, I'd say, could be better, in need of some TLC and a quantum leap up in customer service.

Unique Quality: Pool is nice, view is OK - but really just about average.

• Kigali's Worst Overpriced Hotel

1. This hotel is impossible to book - it took several emails to the hotel.
    2. Despite this the hotel lost our reservation and then tried to charge us $180 per night.
    3. The airport pickup person left us in the van for 45 minutes while she chatted with her friends, apparently forgetting why she was at the airport in the first place.
    4. The staff was rude and incompetent.
    5. The rooms were dirty and disgusting - I was bitten by bedbugs the entire night.
    6. The restaurant was mediocre at best, and definitely overpriced.
    7. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The place is horrible!

Unique Quality: The nicest thing I experienced about this hotel was leaving.

Directions: The middle of nowhere.

• husain's Profile Photo

Novotel Kigali Umubano

A comfortable place to return to at the end of a day which was always full of loads of very powerful- sad- emotional stories. It was almost like you kind of needed to step away from some of it at the end of the day, to reflect and ponder.

Unique Quality: A good buffet breakfast, a busy pool, tennis courts (though the lights could have been a shade brighter), and internet access (albeit on the slower side)
    The internet access system is a bit complicated for first timers at the hotel, you need to buy coupons at reception in fixed denominations, if i remember right, and then login with your given passwords.

Comments