Kigali Hotels

Our Members Say

CAMPING FOR A GOOD CAUSE: ONE LOVE

One Love Club is the only place you can camp in Kigali. They have showers and toilets - but you must have your own tent. They also offer basic rooms with en-suit bathrooms, balconies and some cooking facilities. One Love Club is set in some very nice gardens and they have a bar and Rwandan/European restaurant as well. You stay supports an NGO called the Mulindi Japan One Love Project helping disabled people in Rwanda. So it’s for a good cause. They offer 24-hour security, car parking and you can even stay for a month at a time.

(The big signs outside say One Love Heritage Gallery & Library)

You can make donations on their website!

EVERY PENNY YOU SPEND WITH THEM GOES TO CHARITY! YOU CAN:
* Eat in the restaurant
* Camp or stay in the guesthouse
* Book a tour (including Gorilla Trekking) or rent a car
* Book flight in the region/worldwide
* Book other hotels

• Related to: Backpacking, Disabilities, Budget Travel
  • Written April 24, 2012

ONE LOVE !

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BEAUSEJOUR: NOT WORTH THE MONEY !

The only reason I stayed here was the fact that they answered an email. I paid $45 for a dingy room around the back of this place. From the outside this is an amazing hotel to look at. It is set in dramatic gardens that are absolutely beautiful. Then they lead me through the gardens to an old building and put me in what I would guess was their worst room. For $45 I can get a modern hotel room in England with a better bed, modern bathroom and satellite TV! I did get a mosquito net and a candle with matches. The bathroom was basic. I think they are used to European Tourists who think this is a bargain. It is not! I stayed at a better hotel in the heart of Kigali for $16 less a night.

This hotel has a run-down look to it and the money is certainly not spent on modernisation. I was charged $45 for a single. Some of their prices were in the $80-90 range. I have no idea what you are paying for. Stay somewhere else. For $90 you could get a seriously nice hotel in Kigali.

SUPER-AMAZING GARDENS

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Singles, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written December 20, 2009

A ROOM

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL ISIMBI: JUST RIGHT

This is my home in Kigali. I stayed with them 3 times and enjoyed a good night’s sleep every time. They are centrally located, have good rooms, a nice restaurant, a bar with sports on the TV, good security and plenty of hot water. The staff are very polite, the food good and the beer cold. It’s not stylish at all, but clean and efficient. I stayed in Room 32 which is on the back side of the hotel in the upper corner. It overlooks a residential area with a small balcony and it’s absolutely quiet at night. I also stayed in a strange double room, number 45, which had the best bed I have slept on in East Africa. It’s an internal room that actually has 2 large bedrooms. It is also quiet, but costs a few dollars more and needs better curtains.

Rooms are about $29 a night, but it is slightly cheaper to pay in Rwandan Francs. I only had a reservation on my last stay, but would recommend you telephone them just to make sure. They speak English.

The staff are very professional and friendly. The night reception and security guard are excellent. The one time someone actually tried to hassle me in Kigali they made the mistake of doing so in front of the hotel. The security guard made them disappear instantly.

You are walking distance to the 24-hour Nakumatt shopping center, busses to all across Rwanda and Burundi, Restaurants, grocery stores plenty of Forex Bureaus. This is also a short walk over to the real Hotel Rwanda (Hôtel des Mille Collines).

They do accept Visa and Mastercard.

• Opinion of Price: about average