Hotel Astoria

Booking.com eDreams

More about Dakar

Pink LakePink Lake

Tamara and DanielTamara and Daniel

Pollywogs on paradePollywogs on parade

Always a ParadeAlways a Parade

Dakar in November: Prices, hotels

by Oranier

Hello,

I am planning to visit Dakar in November this year. I woudl like to know the following:
How expensive is it (I will do backpacking and am on a shoestring budget)?
Any recomendation for a cheap but not too bad hotel near Gare Routiere (bus staion) or train station?

by venoquine

Hi Senegal is vey expensive.There are many hotels in Dakar but the very cheap ones are not good at all.Around the main bus station called "LES POMPIERS", in the centre of the town you will find small hotels.

by juliogg

Just got back last week from Dakar. Yes it is expensive. Beer in street cafes was 3 or 4 Dlls. Haggle the taxi. You can also haggle all street stuf to half of asking price. Visit high end shop of African artifacts called "Antenna" in Downtown a few blocks from Palace. The owner is a young French guy who can give you tips. It is a must see shop.

by mjorden

Hello, My name is Mark and I am currently in Dakar until Nov or Dec of this year. I am doing some business for the local police units here and have had to look around at all of the local hotels to find housing for five to tem international workers flying in to help me with my work. I spent the first week here at the Le Meridian at about $180 USD a night at the Corp discount rate. The hotel is nice and the pool is wonderful but you are stranded on the north end if the city where there is nothing to do within walking distance and the hotel prices were out of control, 12USD for a cup of coffee. I made the rounds of about 7 hotels in one day and found the Hotel Farid, 51 RUE Vincens Dakar the best deal in town. It is about 70 USD a day for a very clean room with fresh sheets daily and a wonderful kitchen. I have been walking the city every morning and evening and find it very safe and fun. Near the Embassy Row is a wonderful cafe "Cafe ROMA" where I have coffee and toast daily. It is about a five min walk to the train station or bus station. Feel free to e-mail me any other questions Mark.h.jorden@gmail.com

Travel Tips for Dakar

Must protect against malaria

by heights13

Everyone should take the necessary steps to prevent malaria. I however did not. I used repellent with Deet however, I received an insect bite on my last day. I had to have unnecessary blood work done when I returned home to confirm I did not contract anything. Save yourself the worry and prepare in advance if at all possible.

Goree Island

by MikeAtSea

A must see when visiting Dakar is a trip to Goree Island. Goree Island is less than four kilometres away from Dakar. It is located in the middle of the natural harbour formed by the south coast of the Cap- Vert Peninsula. It thus represents a safe anchorage. This explains why the island was, since the 15th century and for centuries, a high stake for different European countries which successively used it as stops and slave markets.
In Dutch, the island is called “Goede Reede”. In Wolof, it becomes “Beer”. Now, the island is commonly known as Goree. By the end of the 18th century, Goree was a prosperous crossroad where tradesmen, soldiers as well as officials lived in sumptuous scenery. Yet, it was also then a gateway to hell for thousands of African slaves.

Chaotic, Charming and Colourful - Bustling Dakar

by MikeAtSea

Dakar, like many cities in the developing world, is strongly influenced by its colonial history. The Cap Vert peninsula had no urban tradition before colonial settlement and was mainly populated by small fishing villages. This tradition remains in Yoff, Ngor and Soumbedioune in the Médina, but European settlements displaced much of the original population and rapid urbanization in the 19th and 20th centuries continues to put pressure on these older villages.
The Plateau, historically the French area of the city, still has a very European character. Visitors to the Plateau remark that many parts of the urban landscape are indistinguishable from a street in a French city. This is where the city's major banks and businesses are located. European style cafés and shops are also found throughout the area. Historical buildings such as the Chamber of Commerce, the Presidential Mansion and the railroad station are also located here. These center on Place de L'independance, a grassy square near the center of the city.
This is a bustling, charming and sometimes chaotic city of typical West African character.

Dakar

by Winksc

Dakar What a city.
From the moment we entered the suburbs it was clear that this is the comercial capital. People are rushing everywhere trying to make a living, in complete contrast to the country people. I absaloutley loved this. The minute the traffic slows down people run fom the roadside with goods for sale. anything can be bought in your car: sweets, hygene products, newspapers, electronics. Actually it was the first place I saw brand new clothes for sale since arriving in Senegal. Just being driven round in this way made it a thing of beauty for me. with 3 million people It is by far the biggest city in the region I suppose its rivals are Casablaca north and Abidjan south, both a long way away. This surely ranks it among Africas greatest cities.

agungsidayu's new Dakar Page

by agungsidayu

Although Dakar is not bigger than Jakarta, but I love this City and of course this Country Senegal, not only because most of them are Muslims, but also because most of them are very terangga peoples
For just a week I have been here, but I and my Friend M.Natsir met and communicated with several classes of peoples, from high classes to grass roots
I was at Terangga Hotel and I satisfied with their services. Thank you for all Police Officers at the Air port, especially officer amado Faal, and las but not least I thank you very much for your great attention Ambassador Thiam ( Senegal Ammbassador for Japan in Tokio)
I plan to visit Dakar again next year

Comments