Hotel Sokhamon

More about Dakar

Pink LakePink Lake

Juan Pablo and CatalinaJuan Pablo and Catalina

Taking a DiveTaking a Dive

Jill take a breakJill take a break

Traveling through airport at Dakar

by joedarmc

I will be traveling from US to Bomako, Mali via Dakar, Senegal. What is the process for travelers in transit after landing at Dakar? Will I be able to check by luggage in US to Bamako or will I have to retrieve luggage in Dakar and recheck? Please advise.

Re: Traveling through airport at Dakar

by juliogg

I suggest you try and pick up luggage in Dakar and walk your bags to the check in counter for Bamako. I was there this last July and our bags were NOT loaded on to flight to BMK. We had to wait MANY days for our bags to catch up to us. I then had to go pick them up at airport. Spent few days with very little. (only our carry on stuff)

Re: Traveling through airport at Dakar

by sphynxxs

Will you switch planes or is it just an ongoing connection? Some airlines fly to Bamako via Dakar and vice versa, remaining passengers and their luggage staying on board. If you have to board another plane I agree you might be on the save side if you retrieve your luggage and recheck it

Travel Tips for Dakar

Lac Rose

by bambino36

This salty lake, just outside Dakar, worths a visit just for the fact that the Paris-Dakar Rally ends there.
The lake is the place to workers whose job is taking out the salt of it. Interesting to see the salt quantity they can take out from there...

A Visit to Lac Rose

by kaloz

"The Pink Lake"

I signed up for a tour to Lac Rose, the Pink Lake, which is a good drive from the port. We enjoyed a comfortable ride on tour busses to the lake and then switched to hard benched trucks for our tour. I had never seen a pink lake, and indeed the water has a reddish tinge that did not show up too well in photos, so for theis picture I beefed up the red, still not what you see in postcards. The locals were out on skiffs harvesting salt from the lake which they put into piles and the bag. It is a very interesting sight to see, I just wish that we would have been allowed to detruck and spend more time exploring and getting better photos.

"The Village"

At the far side of the lake we stopped at a village, which is cool, but was really more so that we could be hit up for donations every time we raised the camera, and the craft tent to part us of more money. I am sure that these villagers must be some of the richest people around from the toursist visits.

"Camel"

Over the rise we were on the ocean which was very cool with the waves breaking. Along the way we encountered this man on a camel, but again we made no stops. A very rushed tour. Even though we had a comfortable ride to this tour, it may have been better to secure different transportation and spend time the way we would have liked, not been hearded like cattle.

extremely disappointing

by LFChachere

Dakar is the filthiest city I have ever seen. Tons of traffic with apparently no emission standards, the air quality is horrible, and their is dirt & dust everywhere. There are few amenities in this city. I very seldom eat in hotel restaurants when I travel, but on this visit I ate every meal in the hotel restaurant, simply because it was so unpleasant walking around the city, and there only seemed to be one decent option outside the hotel that seemed sanitary.

The locals are all very friendly, but people actively seem to target tourists, and it is hard to discern which of the friendly strangers who approach you are con artists. Actually I was a bit shocked to hear that tourism, along with agriculture, are the two main industries in this country. The government does not seem to care to make this place appealing, or to at least clean up the airport of all the people who are trying to rip you off when you first arrive. Even getting into a cab was a difficult task, as several persons who were competing for our business were physically trying to block us from getting into competitor's cabs.

I would not personally recommend a visit to this country. There are so many other fascinating places in the world which do not involve so much aggravation. Even as just a winter getaway resort, the hotel rates/value are too high to justify this as a place to just sit around a pool every day.

Dakar

by johnsakura

TRAVEL LINKS TO MOROCCO
this is a selection of links i made to travel in morocco. this is senegal but since this is africa you might want to consider also travel to morocco! enjoy!

excursions maroc