Pullman Dakar Teranga Ex Sofitel

Great Value!

Costs Less than similar hotels

See Travelers Recommended Hotels

Not for tourists

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 19, 2006

I would highly recommend avoiding this hotel. There are regular con-artists who loiter immediately outside the hotel property, that harass anybody who tries to leave on foot who is not dressed in a business suit. They will continue following you, and my travel companion was pickpocketed by one of these guys co-horts.

Also, we ended up missing a flight out of the country, partly because we received misinformation from the staff about how much time we needed to make a 7AM flight, and partly because the shuttle to take us to the airport left 15 minutes late.

The level of service was generally poor in many other aspects, there were many other problems, and even if this were hotel were 1/3 the price, I would still feel extremely cheated. Staying here felt like being in a prison with a swimming pool. This was pretty much the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my life.

Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo

Sofitel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 27, 2006

This hotel is ideally located at the end of the point of Dakar.
There is an excellent view on the baye of Dakar and it is very closed to the center of the town and the main shopping places.
Rooms are very good, at this high standart of all Sofitels.

Unique Quality: Hotel is on a hill. There is a wooden way overcrossing the road (La Corniche) to descend to the swimming pool, alongside the sea. Laying down at the pool side gives you a view on the garden and the pool on one side, and on the other side a view on the blue ocean.
Breakfast can be taken on the terrasse. The fresh air coming from the ocean

Directions: Corniche, pointe Sud

adhitya's Profile Photo

Staying Quite Lavish

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 15, 2005

When in Dakar, be sure to stay in this hotel because:
1. Excellent service
2. Nice view of the atlantic ocean
3. Right in the heart of city

Please see a couple of pics.

Unique Quality: The swimming pool area is separated by public street. to get there they installed a bridge which is very nice. The swimming pool area is divided by 4 sections.
1. Swimming pool
2. Restaurant
3. A man made bay of which yacht can berth
4. the beach

be careful though because sometimes tides are strong.

africateach's Profile Photo

Dakar's Most Expensive Hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 22, 2004

I stayed at the hotel for 6 days. I had no idea of what to expect, but stayed there because that was where the conference was to be.

From the outside, it looks very impressive. Nice sculpture, architecture and style. Inside was a nice area for waiting and such. The rooms were spacious enough to be able to stretch out and the views were nice from the window (if you are facing the ocean). It is in a very nice area! There are many little cafes around and the prices are not that bad. There are even little hamburger/shwarma shops within walking distance. The area around is where the beautiful comission buildings are.

Ok... now for the bad stuff! Making the reservation was near impossible. I called and was denied a reservation because the man actually told me to make it "on-line." So, that took forever to do! Then we arrived, we were told that the breakfast was to be 9000 CFA a day! Roughly about 20dollars US! The elevators were under construction and sometimes you had to stand in the elevator for about 20 min. before the doors would close!!! (Took the stairs most days) There were cracks on the sides and it kind of made me feel uneasy! Once, I was sitting in the waiting/bar area, waiting for the conference to start, and one hotel personnel came to me and told me I couldn't sit there because I did not buy a drink!!! I was furious because I felt insulted!!! After that I had had enough! Then I was on my way checking out and they tried to charge me with 6 days of food that I did not eat!!! Also, they threw in a charge of 600 CFA per day tax that I was never told about!!! Just for being in the hotel!!! After yelling and complaining, they took off the food bill, but left on the tax!

Unique Quality: Pool had a great view and very comfortable atmosphere. Receiving drinks and food was no problem if you didn't mind paying top dollar!

Few people at the desk were able to suggest good places to go out to. Bus picked up and took to airport.

Directions: Main business area

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Dakar Travel Forum

Need advice about Dakar, Senegal? Visit the Travel Forum for Dakar and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dakar hotel reviews

Île de Gorée – Castle
Île de Gorée – Church of St. Charles Borromée
Île de Gorée – House of Slaves
Things to Do
Île de Gorée (Goree Island)
Taxis
Getting your visa
Flying to Dakar
Transportation
watch out for funny souvenirs
Things to Do
the local way of transportation
Monument de la Renaissance africaine
Marché Kermel
Chambre de Commerce
Mosque of Divinity in Ouakam
Cathédrale Notre Dame
Things to Do
The guards of the president
Palais Presidentiel - the Palace of the president
a tiny mosque
by cruise to Dakar
Transportation
On the market in the port of Dakar
on the market in Dakar
The Dakar Railway Station
take a guided bustour
Gorée - the slave island
Off The Beaten Path
Lac rose - the pink lake
Things to Do
Participate in local life...
Things to Do
Excellent cheap restaurant in the city center
French groceries