Mahé Hotels

• Arnold42 profile photo Arnold42
  • Reviews: 3

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sunrise Hotel: Worst Hotel of the Seychelles

I arrived in the late afternoon and was given a room in one of the houses on the premises. One night is 35 Euro. The room had two beds, which consisted of a wooden plank with some linen. Air condition was funcioning. But in the bathroom the shower only worked with very, very hot water - with an outside temperature of 33 degrees celsius!! The bathroom was very dirty, and streets of ants were crawling all over the place. Everywhere on the walls were signs of green decay. The furniture was dirty, too. The flushing of the toilet did not work. The towels provided were dirty, too. At night I heard the noises of cockroaches under my bed, thank god they did not bite me. All in all this was the most horrible hotel experience I ever had in my life, and I saw many bad hotel rooms....

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written May 1, 2011

• cjg1 profile photo cjg1
  • Reviews: 5415

Coral Strand Hotel: Budget Accomodations on Beau Vallon Beach

The Coral Strand Hotel is a large hotel located right on Beau Vallon Beach. The hotel has a lovely pool bar and several restaurants including a great Indian place called Mahek. My wife and I enjoyed an Indian meal at Mahek and well as drinks and snacks at the pool bar.

We have had friends who stayed here and say it is a bit run down but you can't beat the beach location. It is true the beach here is quite lovely and has good sand quality with few rocks.

• Written March 13, 2011

• cjg1 profile photo cjg1
  • Reviews: 5415

Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa: Incredible Stay in Paradise

The Hilton Seychelles was an amazing property with mostly good service.

Pre-arrival: Received emails from the GM and also head of reservations to offer addons and ask if we had any questions. We did use this opportunity to arrange a hotel transfer from the airport to the hotel. Yes this is expensive at 50 euros but I found the ease and assuredness worthwhile and would probably do it again.

Upon arrival at the airport we were met by the driver outside customs with our name and another’s name on boards with the Hilton logo. We took us to the curb and went back to find the other client. I am unsure how the other client got to the hotel but the driver took my wife and I alone. I figured the driver would all of us in the truck (small SUV) as the other traveler seemed to be alone. But this was not the case. Our driver was quite nice and told us quite a bit about the islands on the way to the hotel. The ride was about 30 to 45 minutes.

When we arrived at the hotel at approximately 830 am we were checked in at the remote hut up by the front gate. Check in was quite easy and we were told our bags would be held there until the room was ready. At this time we were given a mimosa and a cold towel. We were then walked down the hill and up to Hilltop Restaurant for breakfast. Being diamonds we had breakfast at Hilltop included in the rate as an award stay. Breakfast was your typical hotel included buffet.

After breakfast we had to wait about an hour to get into our room. We wandered the grounds taking in the wonderful sights. I must say right here and now. The Seychelles are beyond beautiful and this hotel is the same. The views, the lush vegetation, the signed plants and trees. It all adds up to the single most beautiful place I’ve ever been and this is why you should come here.

When the room was finally ready we were walked back up the hill and then to our room. We were lucky in that we had Hillside 226. This is the top villa (hillsides are top and bottom in a building while oceanview are solo) in the furthest north building. This allowed an immaculate amount of privacy and although is a hike up the hill enough to kill any buzz from the bar, I would recommend this room if you don’t have an ocean view. The views here are out over the water and you have great views of Silhouette and North islands. I can understand wanting the views from the south side of the property to see the bay and land on the other side, but this worked very well for us.

The room itself was amazing. It opens front of you from the door with the bedroom/lounge on the right and the bathroom on the left. Two large open rooms in total. It also has a very large deck with enough room for two loungers, a table and two chairs and a chase lounger as well. It is not possible, at least in this room, for anyone to see into your balcony. The same can not be said for the downstairs villas as we had views into at least half of their deck. The large king canopy bed was up on a slightly raised platform. Fear not, there is a blue light in the riser that will lightly enlighten the step in the night. Of course this did not stop all trips in the night. The TV is about a 32 inch flat panel tv that is set to spin slightly from bed view to couch view. We did watch a bit of tv during our down/relaxing hours.

The bathroom was the star of the show here though, inside anyway. There are two doors from the main room into the bathroom; one behind the TV near the computer desk, and another near the bathtub. As you enter the main door you will have your double sink vanity with a large mirror behind and a closeup mirror on the side. The toilet is behind a separate door to the left. Further to the right is your shower area that is just a wide open area of the room with a shower head up the wall. The floor is set to drain in this area and there is a half-height wall opposite to separate the shower from the tub. The tub is a large two person Jacuzzi tub that is set on center to the main doors going to the balcony on the bathroom side. You can open the two middle doors and fold them back to give you unobstructed views out over the water. Of course at any time that the balcony doors are open, the A/C will be disabled.

The hotel has a weekly schedule of events both posted in the main lobby and also available in your room. I highly recommend you check out of the excursions given by the hotel if you are here for a holiday instead of work. They are all quite affordable and not the outrageously priced excursions you may expect from other places. We used these to go check out the night market in Beau Vallon, the Tea Plantation, and the Botanical Gardens in Victoria.

Food here at the hotel is insanely priced. Dinner at Hilltop is nearly 1400 Rupees for two and that is before the 22% tax and tip added to everything. This stay was for my birthday which occurred midway through our stay. Absolutely everyone seemed to know it was my birthday from the front gate guards to all the service personnel. Everywhere I went that day I was wished a happy birthday. I rave about how I am treated in the Conrad Hong Kong on my birthday but this hotel rates just as highly. I truly appreciate the effort, the towel dogs, the cake, the kind words. It all made my trip one of my very best ever.

Check out was quick and easy. We had to leave the hotel at 6am and brought our own bags down to the remote hut for check out. I have no issue with this as more often than not I’m more comfortable taking care of my own bags than having others do it. No real reason, just not used to letting others handle it. We were able to pay the rest of our rupees down on the bill in cash, which was listed as a credit card payment on our statement but seemed to be no issue.

To me this was the best Birthday stay I have had to date.

This stay was for my Birthday which occurred midway through our stay. Absolutely everyone seemed to know it was my birthday from the front gate guards to all the service personnel. Everywhere I went that day I was wished a happy birthday. I rave about how I am treated in the Conrad Hong Kong on my birthday but this hotel rates just as highly. I truly appreciate the effort, the towel dogs, the cake, the kind words. It all made my trip one of my very best ever.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort
  • Written March 1, 2011

Canopy Bed

• Mara_2 profile photo Mara_2
  • Reviews: 65

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Chalet d'Anse Forbanse: A really confortable place!

It is a self-catering. There are 10 houses, each of them having two unites composed by a living room, an equipped kitchen, an A/C sleeping room, a bathroom with shower and a large veranda with a sea-view. It is really perfect place to stay since the houses are not crowded one near ther other and the place is really very well maintained and very clean (they clean your appartment daily).
In front of every house there's a nice lawn that stretches until the beach (only a few meters away)! The beack is also very nice, with soft white sand, fringed with tall palmes and lush mangrivias, and the coral barrier is very near the shore.

• Written July 18, 2007

• EricEastwick profile photo EricEastwick
  • Reviews: 12

Plantation Club Resort: Plantation Club Resort

The room had 2 single beds a small seperate sunken living room with a couch and chair
and Cable TV
Nice bathroom with shampoos and lotions, and good towels
Good swimming pool, with a seperate kiddy area plus steps on one side dropping off to
a deeper other side rather than lengthwise, with towels at the pool
Good pool bar but no service at your chair you had to go into the bar itself to get served
No diet coke due to a sugar shortage on the island
Food at the pool bar was mixed great fish and pizzas but the spare ribs was inedible
The kids around me seemed to enjoy the mini burgers
Did'nt try the A la carte resturant but the buffet restuarant was resonable for breakfast
with a seperate omlette chef
The evening meals had good fish and meat choices including Lamb, Pork, Roast Beef, Snapper
tuna etc
The hotel also had a dive center and its own fishing charter and even a helipad where you could get helicopter rides around the island
There was also three travel agents on site to book excursions and a car rental desk
There was also a Casino which I did'nt get into, a fitness and massage center and a shop
open till 10pm
There is also a tortoise pen with 4 large tortoise.
Buses ran back to the airport and into Victoria from right outside the driveway (which is about
half a mile long)for just 3 rupees Approx 50 cents US
Check out is 10am which is early as most flights seem to leave late evening or the middle
of the night . I got a late check out but the electronic key turned off dead on 10am so had
to get housekeeping to let me back in.
the beach was really nice, however the tide comes right up to the grassline at high tide.
Snorkelling when the tide was coming in was good, seeing about 20 species of fish including
Cuttlefish.Coral is dead from bleaching from El Nino and Tsunami but lots of fish to see.
Cientele was mostly French and Italian , some Swedes Germans and Croatians a few
Brits and South Africans
Staff were all friendly and whole place was very relaxing

A good family hotel for all ages

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Fishing, Casino and Gambling
  • Written March 15, 2007

Pool at the Plantation Club

• Blanula profile photo Blanula
  • Reviews: 66

Sunset Beach Hotel, Mahe: Romantic destination

I have visited this hotel twice (2003/2004) and both times we had a very enjoyable stay.

This is a small hotel with just 27 rooms or junior suites.
The accommodation is clean, the food is very good, the beach is private.
I have already recommend this hotel to our friends.

If you like quiet holiday, this is the place to go.

If you stay in one of the junior suites, you will have a wonderful view of the sunset. It is so romantic!

Their swimming pool is a nice shape and always cleen.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Fishing
  • Written November 24, 2004

Swimming pool at Sunset Beach

• kyoub profile photo kyoub
  • Reviews: 2221

Eden Holiday Resort: Overlooking L' lslette

We found this little gem that was just opening over on the west coast. It was off the beaten path but very nice.
It sits up on a small hill and from the balcony we had a view out over L'Islette and the sea.
The large boulders had been left in place and the resort built around them so that made some interesting paths and views.
For instance, out side our kitchen window was this big boulder. Our cottage had a nice bedroom, livingroom and kitchen. Bath with shower only.
We liked it very much and the owner was very nice. Because it was their opening we got a special rate for cottage plus auto.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written August 18, 2004

Great view

• Muya profile photo Muya
  • Reviews: 590

Berjaya Mah? Beach Resort: A nice place to stay

The Berjaya Mah? Beach Resort is a 3 star hotel is situated in Port Glaud and offers a great view on the ocean and Therese Island. We read a lot of negative comments about Berjaya, some say it looks like a blockhaus, others that it is too old and ugly. People seem to avoid it, as there were only 15 guests at the time we were staying there. Well, when we saw it ourselves we were positively surprised. Of course it was build in 1975 and it is one of the highest in the islands (173 ocean view rooms). After the construction of this hotel, the governement decided to to authorise only two or three-floor hotels that are more integrated in the landscape, in order to protect the environment and avoid the construction of mass tourism hotels, which is a great thing.

I would really recommend this hotel, for many reasons : the view we had from the room, the kindness of the staff. We often found flowers scattered on the bed in the evening... The food was really delicious too. Imagine taking your breakfast on the open terrace while hearing waves crashing at the feet of the hotel...The Berjaya is surrounded by a peaceful tropical garden and has a tortoise pen as well. It offers sport facilities such as tennis or squash and watersport on Therese island in front of it. I can't give my opinion on this because we were too busy visiting the island and did not stay at the hotel during the day.
The hotel proposes free buses to Victoria, Beauvallon and Port Launay in the morning. And there is a bus stop down the alley for normal buses to Victoria, Port Launay, etc.
From 214 to 236 dollars for a room with double bed, and 195 dollars for a standard single room.

• Written July 20, 2004

Berjaya in the distance

• JohnnySpangles profile photo JohnnySpangles
  • Reviews: 165

CORAL STRAND HOTEL: GOOD HOTEL ON A GOOD BEACH

Air conditioned rooms, good poolside, two metres from the beach, open air balcony for breakfast, good food.

Nice bar.