Providence, Seychelles

Costs 36% less but rated 13% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Mahé

a flying fox over "Sans Souci" in Mahea flying fox over "Sans Souci" in Mahe

Ile Hodoul in the port of VictoriaIle Hodoul in the port of Victoria

On final approachOn final approach

The Clock TowerThe Clock Tower

One day tour...How should we do it?

by bobnfran

Hi to all!
We will be arriving in Mahe by cruiseship for just one day on Sunday December 5 from about 9:00m to 5:00pm. We would like a "private" English-speaking tour guide w/car for the day for transport from and to our ship and to sightsee, enjoy lunch and soak up the atmosphere. Do you know of a guide or can you direct us to one? Do we need a guide? What are some must-see things to do and see in our very short time?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks much,
Bob and Fran

Re: One day tour...How should we do it?

by iwys

The first thing is, you probably can do it in a day and, don't worry, guides will be queueing up to meet you. I stayed there for 12 days, but spent most of the time lazing on the beach. You should, of course, see the capital of the Seychelles, Victoria, but it's nothing special. I'd suggest lunch at the Pirates Arms - visit my VT site for the live webcam there. The new market on Rue du Bazar is the place to buy souvenirs.

You should drive along the mountainous road, via La Misere, across the middle of the island and see the tea plantation en route.

In the south-east, Anse aux Pins and the Craft Village- another place to buy expensive souvenirs- are worth visiting.

The north-west of the island is the developed tourist strip.

It's a very expensive place, but it is beautiful.

Re: Re: One day tour...How should we do it?

by reynarddasilva

I'm not sure it can be incorporated in the time scale, but a visit to Praslin, Mahe's sister island is of interest. a smaller version of Mahe, but with the Coco de Mer trees in the centre of the island.

Re: One day tour...How should we do it?

by Saagar

Check my Seychelles page - I detail an excellent driver/guide there with contact numbers in my transportation tips pages. I can give my very best recommendations. We hired him initially through a travel agency for a day's sightseeing, and kept hiring him and his car privately for every outing and transit we did on Mahe. Totally reliable. His asking price will be realistic.
Enjoy Mahe!
Saagar

RE: One day tour...How should we do it?

by SexyWacko

GO with "MasonsTravel" The staff is very friendly if possible request a man named ...Jensy...He is the best...we got the chance to have two tours with him ...He is very nice and gives you alot of extra information ...and knows pretty much everything.

Travel Tips for Mahé

If you go in june

by Muya

Be careful, the season is supposed to be the best one, with less rain. When we were there it was quite cloudy. We had some really nice days, but really cloudy in the morning, and a quite changing weather. As it is winter time for the locals and it’s not high season, some places are closed, and it is difficult to find a fresh fruit juice, even if it is written on the menu.

Drink Coco d'Amour liquor

by Muya

Sugar cane alcohol, coconut cream, sugar and a dash of coco de mer cream, this is the recipe of the famous Coco d'Amour liquor. It is said to be aphrodisiac. A drink to enjoy with the man of your dreams :-)
It is used in many cocktails in the Seychelles, but, but pure with ice cubes, it's really good too :-)
You can find this delicious liquor in many shops, in its cocofesse-shaped bottle for 130 rupees (less at the airport)

Make sure to bring any medication for all possibil

by EricEastwick

There is one small pharmacy in Victoria and supplies are limited
I had a cold and needed some anti histamine tablets and was perscribed some
but only found vicks to help my nose to breath in the hotel gift shop
But did not see any cough drops or sore throat medicine.
when I was leaving Praslin, one of the other guests children had cut their leg on a bike chain
So I gave them my Bactine and Neosporin to use I brought deep woods off with me but did not use it at all
The flies are the worst sitting around and got a few bites

Port Glaud

by kyoub

The road to the west coat of the island ends at Port Glaud ( pronounced Por-Glow).
From there you can turn left to drive down the coast or turn right where there is the resort where we stayed, a couple of restaurants, a marine national park , and the road ends at a youth service camp.

Climb to the peak

by kyoub

Trois Freres Peak, forms the mountain backdrop for Victoria, and lies in Morne Seychellois National Park.
Although the climb to the peak is only about 2km each way, it is a very steep uphill climb.
There are some very nice views from the peak, if it isn't wrapped in clouds.

Comments