Cote d'Or, Seychelles

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Acajou

5 star Bargain on Praslin

by dickiebird about AcaJou Hotel, Praslin

I chose AcaJou because it was listed as the most reasonably priced in my travel book, I had no expectation - all I wanted was a nice beach, a clean bed and maybe a pool. What I got at $200 was the best service, beautiful accommodation, beach that is from the Corona ad, comfiest pool loungers as well as dinner and breakfast, served by such great staff and cooked by talented chef. I am inspired to recommend this hotel to anyone who thinks they cannot afford a hotel on this Island. When I did a google search for a hotel, I received so many that were $1000 plus - I really didn't think it was a possibility, now I know. It is on Cote D'or beach, and has a beach bar. Firstly, when we arrived at 9am, we were greeted and introduced to the resident manager, complimentary cocktails were served (together with fruit and umbrella), while we were enjoying our cocktails, they were getting our room ready, and by 9:15 we were shown our room. Most hotels would not accommodate in this way. As we were inspecting the hotel grounds (beautiful), we were met by the different staff members who were all so proud of their hotel, the pool / beach manager introduced himself, our hands and offered us tips on sunscreen and sandflies.

4 course set dinner was served by attentive staff, it was truly the best experience I have had at a restuarant or hotel.

the catamaran from Praslin to La Diquethe catamaran from Praslin to La Dique

a flesh-eating snail in the Seychellesa flesh-eating snail in the Seychelles

The Zak-fruitThe Zak-fruit

Anse Volbert VillageAnse Volbert Village

Self Catering in Praslin

by roxane&jose

We are going for a self catering option an are also wondering what groceries cost in Praslin? Can anybody tell us about the stores there?

RE: Self Catering in Praslin

by dickiebird

Not sure if this is too late, but just in case you are still planning your trip.

I would not recommend self-catering in Praslin because of the lack of grocery shops, there are a few stores that sell groceries but it is such a chore to find decent products. Seychelles does not have reliable products coming in and one can go weeks without finding cheese or onions or potatoes, etc. There are no salad goodies to talk of either. I have been here 5 months and only now I'm starting to figure out decent menus.

La Digue, on the other hand, is known to the locals as their own "Dubai", there is a store there called "Gregoires' which stocks a wide variety of imported and local goods as well as a bakery/ Many Mahe residents catch two ferries to go shopping on La Digue. A dream vacation would be a self-catering on La Digue, just because of the grocery shopping and the ease of transport (bicycles).

If you're bent on Praslin, may I suggest a reasonable hotel - AcaJou - go for the half board, their dinners are outstanding. See my tips under hotels.

Bon Voyage

Travel Tips for Praslin

a day in paradise

by globetrott

Take a look at this great vegetation, it looks great in the first moment but the climate is also very hot and the worst is the humidity, that makes you a totally wet shirt within quite a short time even without sweating so much. That heat is also not really good for your camera and other electronic devices, so you better keep them inside a bag, when not used.
-----------------------------------------
There are several banks in Praslin and I saw a total of 3 ATM-machines alone in Anse Volbert Village, there are internetcafes and supermarkets and nobody begging in the streets. Everybody is smiling and friendly to the tourists, it is in fact some sort of paradise !

Eden?

by kyoub

"Praslin-the forgotten Eden"

Praslin(pronounced Prah-lan) is the second largest island in the Seychelles and it can be reached from Mahe by ferry in 2 1/2 hrs or by plane in 15 minutes.
For some crazy reason we chose to take the ferry.
Praslin has glorious white sand beaches, and fantastic marine life. Praslin is best known for being the only place in the world where the coco de mer palm, grows wild.

"Praslin for sightseeing"

Many tourists base theirselves on Praslin and spend their whole vacation there. It is where the boats leave from going to La Digue, snorkeling, and diving tours.
There are many beautiful beaches here, the Vallee de Mai, and some very nice resorts.
We spent 2 nights here, went to LaDigue, and then stayed another night here on the way back.

"Praslin for romance"

There are many little coves where your footprints will be the only ones on the beach that you see. Have a litle picnic, go for and swim, relax, your in the Seychelles, a thousand miles away from anything else.

Comments