Centurion - Under construction
" MY HOME TOWN "
Since joining VT a few months ago, I've been asked repeatedly about my home town, Centurion. It is not clearly shown on most maps, and there is currently no VT page dedicated to it.
Centurion is a small city with a population of around 275 000. Although I wouldn't place it at the top of any list of recommended South African tourist attractions, it is a great place to stay, and deserving of some mention on VT. So here goes, this is my attempt to put Centurion on the map (so to speak) !
" LOCATION "
Centurion is located in the northeastern part of South Africa in the Gauteng (meaning "Place of gold") province. It is not shown on most maps because:
(1) It is located between the larger cities of Pretoria (to the north) and Johannesburg (to the south). Only these cities are usually shown on most maps.
(2) Although Centurion was recognised as an independent municipality until the year 2000, it now forms part of the greater Pretoria (or more correctly Tshwane, as it is known these days) metropolitan area.
" CENTURION'S GROWTH "
Centurion is one of the fastest growing urban areas in South Africa. This is mainly due to:
(1) Location, location, location. Since it is located between Pretoria and Johannesburg, it is a convenient place to stay for those who work in Johannesburg, but prefer not to stay there. Three major highways, linking Centurion with Pretoria, Johannesburg and Kempton Park (home to the O.R. Tambo International Airport - formerly known as the Johannesburg International Airport), are easily accessible.
(2) Climate. Centurion boasts warm summers, mild winters, lots of sunshine, summer rainfall and little wind.
(3) Excellent infrastructure. Good schools, a worldclass hospital, excellent shopping ammenities, several golf courses, and a famous cricket stadium.