Africa Centre Backpacker Guest Lodge Johannesburg

Africa Centre Backpacker Guest Lodge
Expedia.com Travelocity HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Orchid's Profile Photo

Welcoming after a long flight

We were happy with our overnight stay here. Met at the Oliver Tambo airport as promised and were soon at the conveniently located hostel/hotel. Our triple room was comfortable, all that was needed. Staff cheery and friendly.

A meal at the restaurant was very filling if undistinguished.

We did not need to use any of the facilities/tours as we were leaving the next day for Zimbabwe.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a pool, though we did not use it. The free transfer from the airport was nice to have.

More about Johannesburg

Our daughter's first visit - aged 6 weeks!Our daughter's first visit - aged 6 weeks!

Light sculpture for HowloweenLight sculpture for Howloween

The Lion ParkThe Lion Park

Johannesburg airportJohannesburg airport

shosholoza meyl train booking for world cup 2010

by twozeds

hi...my friend is travelling to S.Africa for world cup 2010 between Joburg and cape town...he has asked me to try to book online a train ticket for him and his wife with shosholoza meyl...i learned that there is a lead time of 90 days before you can book which should be around now March with the matches being in June....still confused alot tho wether its possible to book online or not some forums say yes some say no...ive tried the shosholoza meyl web site at http://www.shosholozameyl.co.za/html-site/index-html.html but cant seem to get any joy....everytime you try to book and pay online it says the page unavailable...can anyone shed any light on this matter please as time is getting nearer for my friend and his wife.....many thanks in advance ...darren

Re: shosholoza meyl train booking for world cup 2010

by lynnehamman

Hi

The website is obviously not working-

This website, however, gives a phone number that you can try for more information:

Re: shosholoza meyl train booking for world cup 2010

by lynnehamman

Hi

here is another website that could be looked at- it seems to be quite popular...

Travel Tips for Johannesburg

Johannesburg Tip

by antz

I have to relate a really funny story, which someone reminded me of the other day....

Living in Scotland, rain country of the world!, I have never been in an outside pool, you know, one belonging to a house. So it was a real novelty for me to swim outside in the beautiful sunshine. I forgot to take my swimsuit with me...so I figured I would just wear a pair of shorts and my strapless bra. My friend and I decided to dive in at the same time and so we both dived...she came up first and when I emerged, she burst out laughing. You can imagine what she was laughing at..when I had dived in, my bra top had fallen down and so there was me baring all for those around!!

Mighty Johannesburg

by Jenniflower

Johannesburg is a middle-income, emerging market with an abundant supply of natural resources; well developed financial, legal, communications, energy, and transport sectors; and a stock exchange that ranks among the 10 largest in the world.

Her infrastructure is modern and efficient.

My friend Walt is a painter (we met at Art school), and he gets commissions all the time for Johannesburg landscapes.

Generally corporate commissions, this is proving popular!

His style is quite impressionistic, with not too much detail in these paintings - he generally paints with ALOT of details.

Rhino & Lion Nature reserve

by Gard

From Sterkfontein we drove to Rhino & Lion Nature reserve. At the entrance we paid to get into the Rhino and Lion reserve and to get a tour of a place called Wondercave.

After the visit to the cave we drove around in our car in the nature reserve. The dirt roads were bumpy and most cars were in for a challenge. But we did manage to get pretty close to lions, wild dogs, a cheetah, a couple of rhinos etc. It is pretty amazing to get this close to the animals in your own car. I wonder if there are any "accidents" in parks like this. After all there are a few daring tourists out there and there were no supervision :-) There is also one area in the park where you can find tigers, lions, crocodiles and hippos in more confined areas. They also have a place where you can take a closer look at vultures.

National Carriers

by cybernation

There are three national carriers namely Intercape, Greyhound and Translux. All three operate routes throughout South Africa's majar cities.

These couches provide a comfortable and clean bus service with a host in each bus.

Traditional

by junecorlett about The Whiteboy Shebeen

Well positioned down the road from the Sandton CBD and attached to the City Lodge Hotel, Grayston Drive, Sandton.
The decor of The Whiteboy Shebeen is unrefined with stark iron roofing and bright orange and blue exterior, combined with a more sophisticated decor, which is both comfortable and tasteful.
Downstairs, the house in which the restaurant is situated, one finds a fun Tapas Bar which is open from noon until late. The Tapas bar serves Spanish treats such as calamari, and marog-topped oysters.
The main dining area is in the upstairs part of the house and this offers a selection od South African cuisine and a variety of other dishes from all over the world.
There are a variety of local ingredients such as "chakalaka" "pap" and typical South African dishes.
The menu changes regularly and you will not be disappointed. I always choose the Duck!!

Comments