Ashanti Hotel

The Lion ParkThe Lion Park

JohannesburgJohannesburg

car rental joburg

by mystic54

I with my wife visitors to joburg, staying
in sandton city for two weeks.Can some one recommend good budget car rental company for day travel in joburg. What may be the rates for a standard car with driver on 8 hrs travel daily within joburg area? Thanks.

by lynnehamman

Avis or Budget Rentals are good- and cost is not too great.

Contact Avis, Johannesburg for quotes:

Avis: www.avis.co.za

for better terms, try:
www.traveljigsaw.co.za
www.autoeurope.com

in cape town, use www.anywaycarhire.co.za
Enjoy!

by DAO

I have always used Aroundaboutcars in my trips to Johannesburg.

You can find their details here:

They have always beaten the lowest quote I can find elsewhere and I have always been given a new car. Great service as well.

Have a great time,

DAO

Travel Tips for Johannesburg

Randburg Waterfront

by worm_star

Loads of things to do for all ages- you can shop, or play pool, or dine in or just take a stroll and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere. There is one activity i thought exciting- swinging across the lake with your hands attached to a cable 6 feet above the water level. Hahahahah!.. Incredible! The culture, the language, the people, the most incredible places.. EVERYTHING!!

Unlike Cape Town, I find the...

by Krystynn

Unlike Cape Town, I find the people here (Jo'burg) pretty rude, curt and brash.

Also, if you're claiming VAT (they will give you cash on the spot at the airport - either in US$ or Rand. Of course I'd take the US$ anytime!), do remember to check in at the airport way, way earlier than the required time. I mean, these folks at the VAT counter work at snail pace and are EXTREMELY rude. I was unfortunate enough to be served by a VERY rude young South African white woman who kept on raising her voice at me. At one point, I was so peeved that I tried to steal a look at her name on the tag that she was wearing... And the smart gal actually had her name covered with a STICKER! Can you believe her?! No wonder she was behaving the way she was behaving. Finally, I responded in a calm manner that she had to understand that I was a tourist and this is my FIRST time claiming VAT in South Africa.

You see, some of the establishments (namely, the famous Kookai boutique in Sun City) didn't have a VAT number on their receipts and for that, not only could I NOT claim the refund, that VAT Officer scolded me for it - as if I were the culprit!

The next time when I go back to South Africa, I'm VERY sure I'll skip Johannesburg. I'd just concentrate on Cape Town or Sun City... or some new places I haven't visited....

Hot Air Ballooning

by jonah1

There generally are Hot Air Balloon excursions available over most of South Africa and I hope to be able to do many more. This being my first was a fantastic experience. We went ballooning about 45 minutes out of Johannesburg and when up high we were even able to see Hartbeespoortdam. I imagine doing this over the Kruger National Park or even the Winelands to be equally fantastic. If you can do this while visiting SA - I would reccomend it highly (though pricey!!)

Two very reliable drivers with vehicles in Joburg

by sebblit7

Johannesburg can be a scary place for first timers, sure if you're staying in a five star hotel you can probably arrange a hotel transfer from the airport, and you can probably rely on some boring package deal trips in and around Joburg, but if you want to save cash and make friends at the same time speak to Jay or Oupa. Over the years they've proven to be very reliable. So if you want a friendly face to meet you at the airport, or to show you around Soweto, or drive you to the Kruger Park, these are your guys. I use them for colleagues, family and friends and they've never let me down. I'm pretty sure they'll beat any quotes you get on transport, just negotiate. Jay Cel +2783 576 4071 or Oupa Cel +2782 852 2365. Or VTmail me and I'll get in touch with them for you.

GREAT Delivery!

by Greatwalk0 about Mr. Delivery

Ever wish that you could have McDonald's delivered to your house? Be honest with yourself. Never???

Mr. Delivery provides delivery services on behalf of numerous restaurants that don't otherwise deliver throughout Johannesburg. You can order different appetizers, entrees or desserts from various restaurants; all for one reasonable delivery fee. Mr. Delivery also adds a "processing fee" of 5% of the total cost.

The two times I have used Mr. Delivery (it's great when the thought of eating one more dinner from the hotel restaurant is getting you down) I have been very happy. Delivery is fast and the food is good! Overall, I think this is a great service and would strongly recommend it!

Check your hotel room for menus! Soooooo many various dishes to choose from. Impossible to choose just one!

Comments