What about the Garden Court Holiday Inn.
Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport Hotel, Johannesburg, South Africa
3km from the East Rand's major business areas.
There are several hotels very close to JNB--there is a Southern Sun directly in front of the airport terminal, plus a number of other places within a five-minute drive. See http://johannesburg.airporthotelguide.com/airporthotels.html
Ideal hotel for overnight accommodation at Johannesburg International Airport. Friendly service, inexpensive / good value for money airport hotel compared with many others, very convenient and geared to be exactly what it is, an airport hotel offering comfort, reasonable facilities. If you are booking the hotel at Johannesburg Airport look for last minute discounts to save money.
Unique Quality: Excellent location for Airport
The hotel is comfortable and has no significant problems. However, for the most part I don't think this would be a good choice for tourism.
1. It is not the cheapest place to stay near the airport, according to several sources I discovered after my stay.
2. It is not convenient to much of anything - the only restaurants are those inside the hotel, and buildings on the same street within convenient walking distance are either industrial or commercial.
3. It is far enough from the airport that you have to take the airport shuttle van or a taxi - at 25 rand or 100 rand respectively, while there is another hotel right on the aiport property.
4. Public transport, other than taxi, is best over at the airport. See #3, above.
5. No phone books in the rooms - you are supposed to contact the hotel help desk to make any contact with anyone.
However, hotel staff was very polite and helpful, and the well-equipped help desk was more than willing to help me find tour operators and other people interested in getting me out to see the city.
Unique Quality: 1. It is close to the airport.
2. The hotel has two restaurants - a Spur and another more along the lines of a pub/bar. ("McGinty's Pub") Oddly enough, the Pub closes two hours before the "family restaurant" does, and thus I found myself eating at Spur both times I needed to eat at the hotel.
3. Breakfast was included with the room.
4. The hotel lobby has a luggage storage room. This allowed me to keep my luggage there after checking out so that I could go on a tour during the day, return to the hotel and collect the luggage, and go to the airport for an evening flight.
BE AWARE THAT:
As the VirtualTourst name implies, this hotel was at one time operated as part of Holiday Inn. However, apparently just before I arrived at the hotel, this hotel and some other Garden Court Hotels had been rebranded to another operator. Therefore, a transition is taking place. Some items may be quite different than what I experienced, and those that visited before me and after me will have different experiences too, as the new management philosophy takes over. To add to the confusion, a different hotel at the airport is operated as part of Holiday Inn, but Holiday Inn no longer appears to be a part of this particular hotel, even though some information (including VirtualTourst default names) still refer to it as being part of Holiday Inn.
Directions: Getting to the hotel airport van requires going through a major tangle of corridors. Try to get directions from a local inside the airport.
Good staff and housekeeping are excellent. It all goes haywire when you want to make a phonecall. They can't seem to figure out the switchboard.
I checked in at 1am and left the next morning. I saw the swimming pool at breakfast. I didn't even know it was there, or I would have used it!
Rooms are slightly above basic and they should charge less for a place with this many rooms. There was no list of facilities. Again, if there had been, I would have used the pool. Also no minibar. Bathroom basic as well.
Holiday Inn seem to think they are good money for value, I would disagree. Nice hotel, but just nice
Unique Quality: This is VERY near the airport and you get more than other hotels charging almost the same. This means that many hotels nearby are a rip-off. For a few extra dollars, you do get peace and quiet.
Breakfast was fantastic, but I wouldn't pay for it. I got it free because of a problem with the room. They do eggs, bacon and omlettes anyway you want them though.
Sorry, no pictures. I was too tired!
Square West St., Sandown, Johannesburg
Cnr 5th and Maude Street, Sandton 2146, Johannesburg
67 Jan Smuts Avenue, Westcliff, Johannesburg
Montecasino Blvd, Fourways, Private Bag X125, Bryanston, Johannesburg
Latest Johannesburg hotel reviews