Gold Reef City Casino and Hotel

Ormonde, 2091, Shaft 14, Johannesburg, 2159, South Africa

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Consider staying overnight at Gold Reef City

A couple of years ago, I stayed a couple of nights at the Protea Hotel in Gold Reef City whilst attending a workshop, and was very pleasantly surprised by the experience.

In addition to the more conventional hotel accommodation at the Casino, a number of the buildings in the Gold Reef City theme park have been converted into 'period' accommodation, furnished in the style of the late 19th century. Once the theme park has closed and the hoardes of day visitors have dissipated, it's pleasantly atmospheric to wander around the park and imagine yourself back in (a sanitised version of) Johannesburg as it would have been in the gold rush of the 1880s and '90s.

If you stay over, you can take full advantage of the delights of the casino, as well as dining at one of the many restuarants and perhaps attending one of the enoyable shows at the Lyric Theatre, all without any concern for having to drive back to your hotel. Well worth considering as an option if casinos are your sort of thing.

Also bear in mind that the tremendous Apartheid Museum is just over the road from Gold Reef City, so staying a night here would also be a very practical way of visiting an attraction that is a little out of the way if you're staying in the Sandton or Rosebank areas.

More about Gold Reef City Casino and Hotel

GOLD REEF CITY CASINO HOTEL.

by PEE-WEE about GOLD REEF CITY HOTEL.

Gold Reef City ha been described as the most extraordinary and unique casino and theme park complex in the world.

Being situated within the main casino building at Gold Reef City there is always plenty to do when staying at Gold Reef City Hotel.

Apart from the main Casino with blackjack, roulette, and a selection of 'machines' ,there is also a salon prive and several excellent restaurants including the Three Ships Restaurant.

The Apartheid Museum

by MikeAtSea

This museum follows the dark past of South Africa. The Museum, with its large blown-up photographs, metal cages and numerous monitors recording continuous replays of apartheid scenes set in a double volume ceiling, concrete and red brick walls and grey concrete floor, is next to the Gold Reef City Casino, five kilometres south of the city centre.

Great Music , Great Food

by cokes about Back of the Moon

Home of Africa's great steaks, jazz and entertainment. It is the most elegant place to dine and dance to smooth jazz and contemporary sounds.

Back O' The Moon was a famous shebeen in old Sophiatown in the 1950's. Today
with a rebirth of a modern day Back O' The Moon in Gold Reef City Casino, this
unique entertainment restaurant provides an elegant ambience for the discerning diner.

This Restaurant is owned by the Famous Felicia Mabuza and when I happen to have supper there one night with my family she was also there.

All I can say is that she is Great Lady and so is her Restaurant , she was mixing with everyone and dancing with some of the people there. Prawns butterflied and grilled in lemon butter with a hint of garlic, served with peri-peri

Upmarket and Glitzy

by Moirads about Back 'o the Moon

Owned by television celebrity, Felicia Mabuza-Suttle, this restaurant is one of the fine dining experiences of the Gold Reef City Casino. It is a large venue on various levels, and it has the distinction of having live music and a small dance floor.

I have eaten there twice, both fairly recently, the first time for my birthday in January and the second time some two months later as part of a corporate function where we enjoyed a set menu.

The décor is sophisticated, as are the prices, and I particularly liked the various brass and woodwinds (brass) mounted as wall adornments. It augurs well for the music (R40 per person cover charge) which was pleasantly muted at the top back of the restaurant (we were walk-ins) on my first visit, and loud and proud in the centre in front of the stage and dance floor where I sat the second time. The website suggests that there is a “sense of déjà vu to Sophiatown of old, to rub shoulders with the legendary jazz musos of the ‘50s”. The jazz is great but the ambience is too upmarket for Sophiatown of old. This is a place to take important clients, not one’s regular night after night haunt.

Both times the service was friendly and efficient. Really efficient. The waiter, noticing what particular brand of “soda” (cold drink) I was drinking, brought a tin of it to the table at the same time as he replenished the order of my companion, so that when I said “Oh, I’ll also have another one” he merely turned around and took my drink, ready with a glass full of ice, and placed it in front of me. That’s impressive foresight and service. He was accordingly tipped in addition to the 10% gratuity charged on corporate bills.

The food, styled “international”, is excellent. On the first occasion we had blue cheese salad (R43) followed by ostrich (R100) for me and lamb cutlets (R110) for my companion. Wine by the glass was perfectly acceptable and we were offered a choice of two or three varietals in both red and white. For the second visit the alcohol flowed freely, as is the tendency with corporate functions where no restrictions are placed on the orders. As I was the designated driver I stuck to soft drinks and one glass of red with my dinner. The choice for the set menu included a Greek salad (R43) and a prawn cocktail (they came whole, shelled with just the tip of the tail to break off in a salad with a pink sauce), followed by a choice between steak (R100/110), sole (R95/125) and vegetable curry. My partner had sole and I had a tender, perfectly cooked medium rare steak. Both dishes were beautifully presented and tasted excellent. I was not given vegetables (R18 as a side) with my steak which vaguely annoyed me. They looked fantastic, colourful and crisp, and my companion confirmed that they tasted as good as they looked. Dessert for my birthday was the Cherries Jubilee, (R38) black cherries and icecream. For my second visit I ordered Crème Brulee (R38). I have occasionally had crème brulee which is as good but only once did I have a better one. This crème brulee was smooth and creamy and the caramelised sugar on top was melted but not scorched. My companion had icecream and chocolate sauce (R38). Prices have been lifted off the website and I’m not entirely sure which options were presented to us.

Don Pedros (for those who were not designated drivers) and coffee for the rest of us ended a very, very pleasant evening.

Neither time did I pick up the bill, but it is not a cheap place to eat and the cover charge adds to the cost. There is a R150 minimum for food plus the R40 cover charge. But for special occasions and generous budgets this place comes highly recommended. I don't do favourite dishes - they're so limiting!

One of the Zoo's Halloween decorationsOne of the Zoo's Halloween decorations

Old Apartheid-era SignOld Apartheid-era Sign

The Lion ParkThe Lion Park

Road to the airport, JohannesburgRoad to the airport, Johannesburg

Taxi from airport

by aussielfc2006

Hi, am flying into J'burg for the World Cup, and was wondering what is the best way to get from the airport to Randburg at night is?

by Gerald_D

First thing to do is to ask the management of the accommodation establishment for their recommendation and estimate of cost. They might have a relationship with a reliable operator.

Otherwise, pre-book a shuttle service and have the driver greet you with a sign.

Or, walk to the "taxi" desk on arrival and get their advise (don't accept offers from the touts hanging around the airport)

Randburg is quite far from the airport, right across town, and 30 minutes if the traffic peak is over (45km on ring roads)

by changaiz

hi there!

hav u made som gud plans for the world cup? lets share our plans we might learn from each oder :) add me up on msn changaiz.haider@live.com

by MichaelDovey

Hi..If I can help with any info you might require on Johannesburg or Pretoria, just drop me an e-mail and I will try and assist. You will have an amazing time here..that is a guarantee

World Cup fever is now really starting to take off

Regards

Mike

by CatherineReichardt

Hi
We live in Randburg and use a very reliable service provider to transfer us to and from the airport (which we often need to do for both business and pleasure). His name is Rob Eve and his e-mail is robeve@flytaxi.co.za
Over the years, we have experimented with several service providers, but have settled on Rob as we find him reliable, well priced and flexible.
Regards
Cathy

Travel Tips for Johannesburg

Kapitan's

by travelmad478 about Kapitan's

Kapitan's is in downtown Johannesburg, right in the central business district. Take the stairs up to the second floor, leave your pretensions of fine dining behind, and dig into a huge meal of Indian-inspired delights. This restaurant is a historical monument--it was frequented by Nelson Mandela and other ANC members decades ago, and its wildly abundant decor looks like it hasn't changed a bit in the last 30 years. The owner and his wife have traveled all over the globe--probably more than any VT member!--and can tell you fantastic stories about the history of the restaurant and its patrons.

Comments