Mercure Johannesburg Midrand

Old Pretoria Road, Box 7853, Halfway house, Johannesburg, Gauteng, 1685, South Africa
Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 56% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Johannesburg

George Harrison first discovered gold here in 1876George Harrison first discovered gold here in 1876

Kiddies' cave at MaropengKiddies' cave at Maropeng

To South Africa!To South Africa!

MeerkatsMeerkats

(Direct) bus J'burg - Lesotho?

Hi everybody!
I'm hoping to get from J'burg to Maseru by direct bus about mid-October, but cannot find any solid info on that.
I read about a company 'VAAL' but no schedules and their web site is inactive.
Other info suggests to go to Bloemfontain and change there, but again no info for the ride to Maseru, perhaps need to overnight?
Could be not very safe to wander around in Bloemfonat in afternoon, looking for mini bus- shared taxi etc?
If anybody has sth more concrete on these, especially if possible for a direct bus and even better, to book via internet, would be more than great!
Many thanks
Nik

by Gerald_D

I suggest you direct your question to Semonkong or Malealea lodges . . . . I am sure that they are often asked this question and will have an up to date reply ready.

and

by Gerald_D

By the way, one of the Malealea owners lives in Bloemfontein and runs the bookings and logistics from there. So, don't be surprised if you get a "foreign" address for them.

by nikoskaps

thanks Gerald, it's a good idea!
I'll try to find out sth through them
have a good time!

by bongski

There is a connection from park station in johannesburg, but its an informal one. I have had some lesotho visitors who had asked me to bring them to the park station to take the jnb-maseru connection via a minibus-taxi. They dont have a strict schedule, but i usually bring them to the park station before 8 am and usually by 10 am they are on their way already. The mini bus taxi rank are at the back of the park station, but we usually enter through the park station.

bong

Thanks Bongski!
In fact, the answers from Lesotho establishments, as Gerald suggested, say sth similar, there is such a service, but not really scheduled.
Else, could go by normal bus service to Bloemfontein, and do the same thing with shared minibuses etc from there to Lesotho, which complicates things a little, maybe have to spend another night etc.
I guess, I have to stand somewhere untill a minibus is full (it's the african way, after all!!)
Great travels to all!
N.

Travel Tips for Johannesburg

Storms Approaching at Dusk....

by DaveRowley

Not a sight to visit, but a sight to be lucky enough to see....
Christmas Eve 2004 and as I approached the hostel a storm approached.
Having been to Australia before Johannesburg and Durban the day after, the storm proved to be as spectacular as seen in either mentioned places.

I even felt the need to stand out in it.... crazy but true :-) I'm afraid I only stayed over one night on my way from Oz to Durban.. but the Hostel I stayed at was gorgeous...
excellent hospitality from the Manager, lovely grounds, excellent views of the City, a swimming pool and more

African Dress

by cokes

Hey guys , I just wanna show you the various traditional wear. I was walking in the parking lot of a park and I just had to take a photo of this lady.

There is various tribes amongst the black people of South Africa and I don`t know which tribe this lady belongs to.

Anyway just wanted to give you an idea of the traditional dress wear

Parks and Gardens

by jonah1

Johannesburg is reputed to have more trees than any other city in the world (10 million trees, twice the human population). Surprising huh!!! Joburg has quite a few parks and gardens that are worth a visit if you feel like relaxing. My advice would be to go to Zoo Lake (great Moyo restaurant there), also Emmerentia Dam - Shakespears garden is lovely and very interesting over Sundays (A lot of Ethiopean and Nigerian wedding processions passing through). The Wilds and the Roodepoort Botanical gardens are also great spots to relax!!

I have to admit...I only...

by antz

I have to admit...I only really went out once...and I got soooo drunk I can't remember where I went...but it was pretty good anyway. However, I can remember the place we went to for munchies, simply cos it was soooo bad - it was called BIMBO'S and I was sick for hours afterward...and no, it wasn't just the drink!!

An African Experience

by HeidiR about Moyo in Melrose Arch

For an unique experience I would recommend Moyos in Melrose Arch.
First a lady will come and wash your hands saying
"wishey washey, wishey washey, wishey washey, wishey washy@
then dries them
"dry, dry, dry, dry"
Next they will rbing you some hot wine, if you like it you pay for it if you dont like it it goes back.
Then African musicians will play you some music.
Next differnt types of bread will come along with various different african dips.
Finally your food will come (you choose from an extensive range of African food) WEll we only had 1 dish each and it was a very extensive menu.

Comments