Ngala Lodge

Roast DuckRoast Duck

Senior CitizenSenior Citizen

Airport to Gold Reef City/Apartheid Museum

by dmcw754

We have an overnight layover in Johannesburg in June. We fly in at 5pm. What is safest/inexpensive way to get to Gold Reef City. We're considering staying there so we can look around the next morning. Our flight out is at 7pm that night. How early would we need to leave to get to the airport?
Thanks

by lynnehamman

Gold Reef city is about 40km from Johannesburg. You can hie a car, or a tour can be arranged for the next morning. The tours last about 4 hours,and can be arranged at the airport.
So if you went on a morning tour, this would give you ample time to catch your flight at 7pm. Another option is hire a car- drive there, stay at Protea Hotel overnight.

by dmcw754

Thanks for your quick response. We were thinking about staying at Gold Reef City to give us more time there. How do you go about hiring a car? is it safe/how expensive? I've e-mailed the hotel at GRC but they havent responded. I had hoped they might have a shuttle, but doing more research I realized they don't. If we have to catch a 7pm flight, we figure we need to be at the airport by 5pm. I've read on the board that traffic is slow, how early would we need to leave GRC area?

by lynnehamman

It is very easy to hire a car from the airport.We have done that on our visit to Kruger National Park. You could consider contacting Protea Hotel at Gold Reef City- its quite possible that they will arrange a shuttle or car to fetch you from the airport.In any cae- its not a very far way to travel, should you self-drive. The roads are fine. Use USUAL caution )eg lock doors, no stopping etc when driving after dark.

by lynnehamman

You would probably need to leave GRC by lunchtime.

by dmcw754

We're not sure we want to drive ourselves around. I thought you meant hire a car and driver, my mistake. I've been trying to figure out how to arrange safe transportation before our trip starts. From a safe tranportation company that would take us directly to hotel at Gold Reef City and pick us up to go back to airport, reliable, not too expensive, and pre arranged. I'm just not finding the links I need, or maybe its not available. When the hotel e-mails me back maybe that will answer my question. Its a weekend, maybe they dont answer e-mail over weekends. Reading about taxi's made me nervous so I thought maybe there are other options. Thanks for your help.

by lynnehamman

Have a try at this website- you would have to contact them.

by dmcw754

Thanks! I just e-mailed them.

by Gerald_D

Have just called Protea Hotel Gold Reef City (+27 11 248 5700). They do airport transfers at R300 per car (max 4 people).

Weekend traffic is light - an hour to the airport max. (30 minutes in light traffic)

Gerald
Thanks for that info. They still havent e-mailed me back. At least that gives us options. I'm getting ready to book the hotel, sounds like we can get there and back safely with one of the options.

Travel Tips for Johannesburg

Jacaranda trees

by georeiser

Jacaranda is a big tree with blue flowers. Jacarandas prefer a warm coastal climate that is frost-free. And is naturally found in the southern part of Africa, Australia and Brazil. The streets of Johannesburg has a lot of them.

Ellis Park

by soccertourist

Ellis Park and rugby are synonymous. The only time when rugby was not played at Ellis Park also called Coca-Cola Park was during 1980 and 1981 when the new stadium was under construction.

In addition to this Stadium will be one of the stadiums hosting the 2010 Soccer World Cup Matches. So if you cant visit it at the time of world cup try visiting it some time else..

In case you want to buy tickets to any of the rugby or Soccer events here try visiting their website at www.ellispark.co.za or if you want to buy world cup tickets then visit www.WorldFootballTravel.com Your fan gear

Italian Style

by Alpha_Ghana about Monte Cassino

Monte Cassino is not a simple shop, it is a real town made like the famous Italian village. But you are not outside, you are in a large building and the roof is like the sky. Lighting is done to make it like in Italy, you can have a sunrise, a sunset, the hot sun of the afternoon or a romantic stars sky.
There are a lot of different restaurants for all tastes, and some shops.
I enjoyed the stone and cristal shop, where you can buy samples of all what you can find in the ground of Southern Africa. Stones, perfumed tobacco, wine, Biltong Prices are higher than in the streets, but if you are not from Johannesburg, it is better to go to such an area because of security.

Blue Train

by cokes

Well this is a luxury train which travels between Pretoria and Cape Town but you can board it in Johannesburg. This train travels through the scenic parts of South Africa which is a excellent way of travelling knowing that its luxurious.

We went to this great italian...

by antz

We went to this great italian restaurant while I was there...I don't know what its real name was..the people I was staying with called it Luci's as that was the name of the owner. This will be of no help at all as I can't even remember where it was....

Anyway, the owner was this mad wee old man and had me laughing just about the whole time I was there...totally taking the rip out of the fact that I am scottish....just a nice memory, that is all!

Comments