Corner Corlett Drive and Rudd Road, Illovo, Johannesburg, 2116, South Africa

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 38% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Greatwalk0's Profile Photo

mmmmeeeehhhh!

Protea Wanderers could truly be a four-star hotel if it wanted to be. That would require the staff being more courteous and outgoing, sprucing up the rooms a bit and adding a more comprehensive gym and fitness center (currently located in the underground parking garage!).

I don't want to give them a treatment that is too harsh, but I have felt slightly disappointed throughout the last week I've stayed here (unfortunately, I have another week to go!). Nothing is terrible, but there is so much that could us just a little work to make it great. For example, each evening I return to my room, the hallway has smelled something foul. Not sure if this is a result of a sick guest, but it's really been a racid smell -- day after day. Additionally, the furniture in my room should be replaced. It was probably very nice 10 years ago, but now, covered in knicks and scratches, it's time has come. Lastly, the customer service at the front desk leaves something to be desired. Staff seem unenthusiastic and disinterested. I'm not expecting hotel staff to click their heals everytime I have a question for them, but a smile would be nice.

There have been a couple things I've been happy with. The breakfast buffet is excellent (though not included in most room rates), including a very tasty omelet bar and a variety of other South African and international breakfast delights. I have also been generally satisfied with the wireless internet in my room, which has allowed me to keep in touch over my computer. Melrose, where the hotel is located, also seems like a safe and fairly convenient neighborhood.

All in all, the Wanderers is so-so. When returning to Jozi, I'll be looking elsewhere for accommodation, but it won't be the end of the world if I have to stay here again.

Unique Quality: Nothing's been updated since F.W. De Klerk was in power.

• chrisandeddy's Profile Photo

First Class Accommodation in Johannesburg

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Protea Wanderers Hotel in September, 2009 and were very impressed with the staff, the service, the rooms and the meals.

All staff were very friendly and helpful and our room was beyond our expectations; very spacious with quality decor.

We had our meals at the hotel and the food and menu choices were excellent. You can choose to have your meal in the main dining room or on the terrace by the pool, or if you prefer, you can choose from the light meals/snacks menu in the bar area.

We had 3 nights of luxury at a very reasonable price (AUD $118 per night which included a sumptuous buffet breakfast) through one of the online accommodation sites and would highly recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: The location, as the name implies is in the Wanderers area, secure in the grounds of the Wanderers Club and close to the cricket ground.

We were advised by the reception staff that it would be safe for us to take the 10-15 minute walk to the local shopping centre, but not to venture any further on foot. We were also told not to leave the grounds at night. This was fine by us as the hotel is very comfortable and in the evening it was enjoyable to have a drink in the bar.

The hotel was an excellent choice for our stop over before heading off on our safari adventure.

More about Protea Hotel Wanderers

Hotel: Sandton City, The Don...

by Bella_JNB

Hotel: Sandton City, The Don Suites, Wanders or Illovo, Cullinan Morningside, Protea Hotel Wanderers and Holiday Inn Garden Court Eastgate.
Bed & breakfast: Rutland guest house, Little Tuscany and Gallo Manor Sandton.
Protea hotel; ZAR500-00
The Don Suites: ZAR320.00
Rutland guest house: ZAR300.00 Hotel: Sandton City and Protea Wanders - both have a fantastic pool, there near to malls and have gyms nearby. The Protea hotel is situated on the Wanders Golf court, has tennis facilities, snooker etc. Price is +- ZAR500.00 rack rate.
Bed & breakfast: Rutland guest house has brilliant personalized service at ZAR300.00 per night and walking distance from shopping malls.

hotels in Joh 30-60$ range

by canadianglobetrotter

Hello,

can anyone Please refer me to hotels in Johannesburg in the 30-60$ range (single), with airport pickup, near shopping and entertainment?
This is a bit last minute as I am arriving on 4 july (for 3 nights).

Your assistance would be much appreciated as I cant find nothing and I am getting a bit worried, so close to departure date!

Re: hotels in Joh 30-60$ range

by junecorlett

Try the Protea Hotel, Wanderers, it is in the Sandton area, the hotel should have airport pick-up available. It should be in your price range.

www.proteahotels.co.za