67 Jan Smuts Avenue, Westcliff, Johannesburg, Gauteng, 2193, South Africa

The Westcliff
Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Wonderful place for high tea!

Being a local, I have never stayed here (and probably couldn't afford to!) - having visited business colleagues who have stayed there, I personally find it somewhat pretentious, but if you're into ostentation and unashamed luxury, this will probably fit the bill

However, I can enthusiastically praise the tea on the terrace! It is High Tea in the traditional English sense - ie. sweet and savoury - and you won't have to eat again that day! The cakes, pastries and savouries are beautifully prepared, the tea is served with solid silver tea pots and sugar bowls, and the view is glorious (particularly if you are there in October/November when the jacarandas are in bloom and the surrounding suburbs are submerged in a misty carpet of purple). The cost is reasonable (even for locals!) given the quality and quantity of what's on offer. If you're in the area, be sure to visit the excellent Johannesburg Zoo, which is just across the road.

Update (6 July 2013): Note that the Westcliff closed yesterday for extensive renovations and will reopen again sometime in 2014. It has apparently also changed ownership, and is rumoured to be reopening as the Four Seasons Johannesburg.

Unique Quality: The view from the terrace is to die for!

• OK but not great

An OK stay - nice hotel but needs work to bring it up to a 5 star standard.

Beware and put all your possessions in the safe. Even locked bags are not safe and will be broken into by staff. When asking the hotel to investigate they do not really care.

• Not sure what the fuss is about

I stayed at the Westciff Hotel recently for 7 nights and I must say, I wasn't impressed. My first room had faulty air conditioning, a shower head that dripped and a broken patio awning. I complained and was moved to a better room that still had faulty air conditioning. I found the rooms average. I was shocked that a 5 star hotel would still have VCR's in the room and not DVD players. The Video hire list was incorrect and caused much confusion. I must say, staff were very pleasant and the food just okay. But in general, for the price, I was disappointed. The view is stunning and had it not been for a personal apology from the Manager (so many things went wrong during my stay), I would've gladly checked out after my 2nd night. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to someone looking for 5 star accommodation. It needs some work.

Unique Quality: The view was great and the staff ever pleasant. Well done!!

Directions: Northern Suburbs

• jonah1's Profile Photo

Colonial Joburg

The Westcliff has provided a temporary home to quite a few celebs and wealthy over the last few years. Certainly a good Hotel with greats service, food and Excellent view from the Pool deck. Definitely more for the discerning traveller but but well worth looking into if money is not an issue

Unique Quality: Great view over Joburg's Northern suburbs, excellent food and service

Directions: Westcliff Northern JHB, close to JHB Zoo

• cokes's Profile Photo

One of the Best Hotels in JNB

All of The Westcliff's has spacious bedrooms and are individually furnished and provided with fully-appointed, luxurious en-suite bathrooms. The rooms offer total privacy and most have sunny, private balconies with spectacular views.

Bard Pitt stayed here recently in his visit to JNB , If he was living here then you must know that this is one of the best Hotels in JNB. Well Lots of world leaders all book and stay here.

Unique Quality: The Westcliff – part of the exclusive collection of Orient-Express Hotels - is one of Johannesburg’s most luxurious hotels. Located in the peaceful residential suburb of Westcliff, the hotel is built on a hillside in the style of a Mediterranean village, with spectacular views over the city’s Zoological Gardens.

The Westcliff has been developed to exacting standards intended to meet, if not exceed, the demands of top-level local and international business and leisure travelers. In an effort to make guests feel at home “away from home”, and to facilitate their stay in the City of Gold, The Westcliff has a range of tailor-made services designed to do just that.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Hotels galore, 5*****+

STOP PRESS: Four Seasons will be running the Hotel, major renovations, so the old colonial atmosphere will no longer be there - sight - SIGH - that's called progress and Global marketing ;-(((

I had lunch there in 2007, but it was not the occasion to use a camera.
    But everytime i drive along Jan Smuts Avenue, the heart throbs.
    It is the sister Hotel of Mount Nelson in Cape Town, whilst without the same year behind it,
    it never the less command a grand position with views of the Zoo, Zoo Lake, Rosebank Saxonwold and the Witwaterand/ridge.As one will see during the sundowner hours

It is Genteel compared to the busier Sandton, FourWays and Rosebank hotels

Unique Quality: No public transport at the front door, but close to JoBurg downtown Wits University, Hospital Auckland Park, RAU-U of JoBurg, War Museum.

I during my student Days spent 4 months in a Foresttown digs alonside the war museum/Zoo, also parents had friends who lived on Westcliff Drive, the another two years in Parktown north, with the bus passing by daily.

Tripadvisor commetns *L* worht reading

Directions: on top of the hill west of Jan Smuts Ave and opposite Zoo,
    North of City Centre and Braamfontein, south of Rosebank and Sandton

More about The Westcliff Hotel

Nice hotel, ok service, great pool.

by TripAdvisor Member USA/Dutchgaycouple

We stayed here in April 2007 and it was our second visit. The hotel is beautiful and the pool great. The service in the bar is incredibly slow and was the first time we stayed as well. Be warned, especially as the bar staff also serves the more informal restaurant adjacent to the bar and around the pool.

Ask for rooms near the pool/restaurant or else you face an long walk uphill or wait for a golf cart. There is one very upscale restaurant and you can also eat in the bar. Both require reservations in advance and I recommend booking before you arrive. There were people who could not get tables and had to leave the hotel or order room service.

The hotel can get quite frantic and the front desk staff sometimes seems completely overwhelmed. Too many guests (many going to or just coming from safaris) asking difficult questions and not enough staff.

Staff was though very helpful and booked for us a trip to Soweto as we checked-in and it left 30 minutes later.

Absolutely wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member welcome65

We just got back from a 3 week trip to Africa where we stayed at all Orient -Express hotels. We spent 3 nights at the Westcliff and I could not have been any more impressed. The service was excellent- every one was so friendly and helpful. The rooms were very spacious and had every luxury. The bathrooms are gorgeous- all marble, 2 separate sinks, shower and huge bath!
The hotel itself is beautiful- set on a cliff ( hence the name), it was originally designed as private condominiums . The pool is a negative edge pool and the view from the restaurant or pool is absolutely breathtaking. All in all I would recommend this hotel as one of the best places I have ever stayed. Thank you Orient-Express!

Loved the Pool!

by TripAdvisor Member KiwiInPimlico

I stayed at The Westcliff for three nights recently on a business trip to Johannesburg - it is definately not a business hotel, but the location was the decider. I agree with the other review that mentions the front-desk staff - they weren't terribly efficient. Plus, I contacted the hotel before arriving to confirm an early check-in, but waited over an hour in the bar before I could get into my room - after an 11 hour flight, I was not that happy!
I enjoyed my stay - my room was a good size, had a great view and was spotlessly clean. Apart from the front-desk staff, all other staff that I came into contact with were friendly, very helpful and really make the hotel. I enjoyed a meal in the restaurant one night during my stay, the food and the service were lovely, but it is quite formal!

Safari Ending

by TripAdvisor Member BornTraveler

I began and ended my safari tour at the hotel, and I am glad I did. Instead of rushing to fly back home, I opted to stay at this hotel and I certainly do not regret it. It is a five-star hotel in very manner imaginable.

If there is any complaint, it is that it is situated away from entertainment and activity hubs of Johannesburg. They do, however, provide a complementary shuttle.

The other complaint I have is that the restaurant should be avoided if you are interested in fine dining. I had a four-course meal and every course was sub-standard. While the presentation was nice, everything was overcooked and without much flavor.

Lovely place, but not for business travel

by TripAdvisor Member emiana

Beautiful hotel, spacious, clean rooms and excellent service. But, slow internet and chaotic business centre. I return to the Westcliff, and recommend it, but not for business travel.

Comments