Bluechilli Backpackers

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Pretoria

Voortrekker Monument looms over the treesVoortrekker Monument looms over the trees

Freedom ParkFreedom Park

Sacred Heart RC ChurchSacred Heart RC Church

Union Buildings and the statue of General BothaUnion Buildings and the statue of General Botha

Work and live in Pretoria.

by MJohanna

Hi,
I'm offered a one-year contract (more if everything goes fine) in Pretoria. I would like to know more about the city in general, I already had a look at the forum and found lots of interesting comments about life there and security issues. Where to live (I'm 26)? Which area is nice (I read about hatfield for example)? Is it easy to travel within the country? Is it possible/safe to live there without a car? Would it be recommended to learn Afrikaans? Are there courses of Afrikaans? ... Well I'd love to read any comments you'd find I should be aware of before my departure.

Another question:
My boyfriend, who's Spanish, might come too if he finds a job there. Up to now, the people I contacted told me it's going to be really hard to find something. But I thought somebody here could have an idea (know a good website, or a compagny, ...). He has a licence (BA) in forest engineering. And do you know if it is possible to get a work permit in SA if one enters the country with a tourist visa?

Thanks for your help and comments!

by PierreZA

Hi there, I live in Centurion, part of Pretoria. It is important to know where you will be working, as public transport is not always that great. Hatfield was previously great, but you still need to be careful, although many students hang out there.
My home language is Afrikaans, although Pretoria is very Afrikaans-speaking, language for work and buiseness is English.
From where are you?, it might help me to understand your needs a bit better.
If you want to put more specific questions I would help anytime

by MJohanna

Hi Pierre,
Thanks for answering.
I come from Belgium so I already have some notions of Dutch, I would find it very interesting to learn Afrikaans. Do you know whether it is possible to study it?
I'm going to work at the National Departement of Health, is that far from hatfield? Would you recommend me another place where to live?
I guess I'll get to know everything little by little once there...
Do you recommend me buying a car? How much would that cost (second hand)?
Well I'll stop here with my questions!
Bye bye

by PierreZA

Sorry, was not on-line for time now, I would reccomend you to look for a car once you are here, there are some good 2nd - hand dealers, rather try well-known dealers eg Toyota, VW etc
I will try and find where the best place for u is to learn Afrikaans. If you understand Flemish, it should be no problem at all!
When will you be in SA?
Tot siens
Pierre

Travel Tips for Pretoria

Pretoria Tip

by antz

Ok, yet another funny story to relate to yous guys. While I was in Pretoria, I really wanted to go see the Parliament buildings (being a politics student an' all). My friends brother drove us there in a Combi. While at the Parliament, I was trying to film the place from the Combi. I couldn't really get a good view, so my friend and her brother tried to persuade me to stand on the dashboard (I am only small after all!) Of course, I am the only person who could manage to fall out of a stationary vehicle!!

Bushveld

by Deefstes

From Pretoria northwards lies what is know as the Bushveld. The Bushveld refers to a specific type of habitat characterised by thorn trees, broadleaved trees and savanna.

Here is a picture of a lovely broadleaf variety of some sorts situated in the middle of a wide savanna. It's not really a typical bushveld picture but I kind of like it anyway.

The Union Building

by xinxin

The Union Building has a half-round shape.It does indeed look majestic...

The building's name comes from the time of the South African Union, which was only changed in 1961 to the current name, the Republic of South Africa.

Voortrekker Monument - inside

by mvtouring

The main entrance of the building leads into the domed Hall of Heroes. This massive space, flanked by four huge arched windows made from yellow Belgian glass, contains the unique marble Historical Frieze which is an intrinsic part of the design of the monument. It is the biggest marble frieze in the world. The frieze consists of 27 bas-relief panels depicting the history of the Great Trek, but incorporating references to every day life, work methods and religious beliefs of the Voortrekkers. The set of panels illustrate key historical scenes starting from the first voortrekkers of 1835, up to the signing of the Sand River Convention in 1852. In the centre of the floor of the Hall of Heroes is a large circular opening through which the Cenotaph in the Cenotaph Hall can be viewed.

Witwatersrand Botanical Gardens

by Deefstes

The Wits Botanical Gardens in western Johannesburg is a real jewel in this concrete jungle. At the top of the waterfall there is actually a Black Eagle (the world's largest eagle) nest where a pair breeds every year.

Comments