Marine Square

More about Hermanus

HermanusHermanus

Magnificent Grotto BeachMagnificent Grotto Beach

18 4TH STREET HOUSE18 4TH STREET HOUSE

I loved the look of this guest houseI loved the look of this guest house

Hermanus in May

by oRi_5

Hi,

My husband and me are planning a trip to South Africa next May. Part of our planned itinerary includes a 1 night stay in Hermanus. I've read that whales are generally there in June. So I was wondering if there is anything else to do in Hermanus if there are no whales. Would it be better if we just skip Hermanus? We haven't booked our lodging as yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

by Gerald_D

Would you be interested in shark "cage diving"?

We are seeing whales earlier than before, and next year May could just be your lucky time. But if you combine whale and shark watching as a focus, then Hermanus is worthwhile for one night. Otherwise, I find not much else to do in Hermanus, which has become a bit of a tourist trap. The less glamourous destination is Gansbaai, less touristy and lower prices, but the center of the shark watching activity. Gansbaai today is where Hermanus was 30 years ago, before the rich people went and spoiled Hermanus.

by nora_south_africa

You may just be lucky to see whales in May, whales have definitely been coming earlier than usual the last few years.Last year I saw whales from May until Dec,( although I am not in Hermanus).

by cleocat

I think we had our differences about Hermanus before Gerald. I absolutely adore Hermanus and would definitely stay for at least a night (I personally would stay for a week but that is me). Get accommodation with a sea view. Walker Bay is stunning.

Travel Tips for Hermanus

Arniston (Waenhuiskrans)

by cleocat

Arniston is quiet, beautiful little fishing village
just over a 100 km from Hermanus.

Arniston is also know as Waenhuiskrans.
The name came from the massive Waenhuiskrans ( Wagon House Cave) – so named because it is large enough to turn a wagon with a full team of oxen. The cave is only accessible at low tide for an hour or two.

The name Arniston came from a a British transport ship HMS Arniston that sank round about 1815. About a 100 people stay there permanently. It is a very popular holiday area and a lot of the houses are holiday houses. Out of season it is very quiet.

Take a walk to the cave, even if you cannot enter it is worthwhile seeing.

Whales Rendez-vous

by Assenczo

Hermanus is a sprawling resort town for Cape Town folks and other day trippers. It is skirting the coast for miles including Hermanus bay itself. The main draw is whale watching. These gentle giants have chosen the vicinity for procreation purposes and one can see large and small sea mammals playing and feeding in the “warm” waters. Sometimes if patience and time allows you might be blessed with the chance to see them within 50m from shore listening to the blows and other noises they produce. Conveniently enough, there are cafes along the coastline which happens to be elevated some 30m above the water giving the excellent view of the bay that one needs in order to see action way further in the sea.
Paid parking is available in the streets. You are gently approached by “officials” with the latest equipment producing tickets and receipts for whatever duration of time you wish to stay. The price per hour is negligible.

Comments