Mobys Backpackers

HERMANUS BEACHHERMANUS BEACH

Travel Tips for Hermanus

Sharks!

by littlebush

I only went to Hermanus to go Shark Diving. There are several operators running these trips. I booked mine through the hostel I stayed at - Mobys. However I'd advise against this and book direct, the best operator by far is Brian Macfarlene. On my trip, although we had 3 sharks(or maybe the same one 3 times!) of 3 1/2 metres come to take the bait, the company would not let us go into the cage! it was great to see the sharks but wouldve been better to be under the water. See below for morew info. The town is a pleasnt place to walk around. It has many shops to spend an afternoon.

The Old Harbour museum:-

by mvtouring

This small museum contains several exhibitions depicting the history of fishing and whaling in the area. They have this huge skeleton there of a Southern Right Whale. The have many examples of different fish against the wall and then also some marine tanks where sea urchans and the like are kept.
Tickets R7.00 per adult and R2.00 per child

The drive to Hermanus

by Tanyaste

"The Drive"

The drive to Hermanus was a pleasant slow amble, we just took in the scenary and views, with lots of photographic stops on the way.

The coatal route was amazing, and it is the coastline that I loved the most. Every corner and dip brought into view more fantastic scenes.

We arrived in Hermanus at Midday and checked into our B&B Burgandy Augberge. A pretty little B&B with french provincial influence. I have made more comments on the accomodation pages.

It was a windy day when we arrived, and the obvious thing was to head out to the cliff tops and observe the whales. We were not dissapointed, we decided to walk along the cliff top to the new harbour, in total with all our stops on the way took about 2 hours return walk. We viewd about 8-10 whales in total, lots of fin waving and jumping, my pictures of the whales are not brillliant but the video image is good.

"Hermanus cont"

We did not do anything else in Hermanus except whale watch, to be perfectly honest we did not feel the need to do anything else. I know you can get boats out and get closer, but we were so close to then anyways, just sitting on the Rocks, it seemed a bit of an invasion on thier privacy to get to close

It was VERY quiet when we were in Hermanus, during the day thier were a few people whale watching but by the evening the place was dead. ( 1st sept) I am under the impression that suring the whale festival it gets jammed packed, and although the whale viewing may be better, I bet they wont be as peaceful.

Comments