Thornybush Game Lodge

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Guernsey Road, Hoedspruit, 1380, South Africa

More about Hoedspruit

Vultures are bloody heavy!Vultures are bloody heavy!

African wilderness - a bird's eye viewAfrican wilderness - a bird's eye view

Family of CheetahsFamily of Cheetahs

Travel from Hoedspruit to JNB by car

by Sebastian_arg

Hi everybody!!

I hope you can help me with this question (we are leaving to SA next sunday!!!)

I will be staying at Hoedspruit (near Kruger Park) a couple of days, and then I was going to fly to JNB early in the morning to connect to Seychelles late on the night.

Air Seychelles changed my schedule so I will not be able to fly from Hoedspruit to JNB, because I will not have enough time to make the connection to Seychelles.

So, I see two alternatives:
1) Leave the day before, and stay a night in JNB (I'd leave this as last resource)
2) Drive early in the morning from Hoedspruit to JNB (we must be at JNB airport at about 11:30 AM).

What would you recommend?

Thanks a lot!!!!
Sebastian.

by Gerald_D

I would leave in the morning for the 5hour, 435km drive

by Gerald_D

Sunrise will be about 6am (it is at 5:48 in Hoedspruit today).

First half of the journey extremely scenic, and the sun mostly behind and to your left (perfect for photos, but no time for that....)

Second half gets a bit boring in the corn fields and coal mining area, but the road is great.

Very easy to find the airport from your direction of travel.

by Gili_S

The start from Hoedspruit is not very fast but after getting to the main road, I think it is no. 4 you are straight forward for JNB. But I think if I would be driving that day I would be very stressful to catch up, and then you have to find your way into the airport, parking place? Is it rental car? Ete.
If it was me? I would fly a day earlier, relax in one of the near airport hotels, for example, I stayed at the Tambo Town Lodge, they pick you from the airport and will bring you back (10 minutes drive).
This way you save the long drive and wouldn't get any cold sweat to catch up your flight.

by dmcourtspahr

Hi Sebastian!
I would agree with Gili and stay overnight at a B&B or hotel near the airport. The drive from Hoedspruit may go off without a hitch but then again, if something unforseen does happen (road works, car accident that ties up traffic, etc) you may run the risk of missing your flight. You will still need to allow time for parking the car, getting checked in, customs, etc. Just too many stressful what ifs to take a chance on missing your flight. A good nights sleep & relaxed breakfast would be my option.

by LouisSA

There are road works in the pas and it will slow you down. make it a 7hour trip or drive via Polekwane it is about a 80km detoer.

Comments