Hans Merensky Hotel & Estate

Club road, Phalaborwa, 1390, South Africa

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Kruger National Park

Our home for the weekendOur home for the weekend

Southern Yellow-billed HornbillSouthern Yellow-billed Hornbill

Lazy lionLazy lion

Mozambique Spitting CobraMozambique Spitting Cobra

Car Rental in Hazyview

by travel_talk

Hi,

Does anyone know if car hire is available in Hazyview? I looked at the websites of the big companies like Avis, Hertz, Budget & National. But none of them have an office in Hazyview.

I would definitely need a car to drive in the KNP and also go see some popular sights nearby like God's window and the Canyon. Will I need to ask a car rental company at Nelspruit airport to deliver the car at my hotel in Hazyview? I'm not sure if they'll do it.

Please help. Thanks everyone.

Re: Car Rental in Hazyview

by lynnehamman

Why not just hire a car at Nelspruit airport and drive yourself? The roads are fine. Beware when driving at night. Speed is a factor to consider.

Re: Car Rental in Hazyview

by Gerald_D

Hazyview is a small town only 45 minutes from the Kruger Mpumalanga Airport (www.kmiairport.co.za/), which is Nelspruit's new airport. It is too close to the airport to warrant a separate branch for the car hire companies, and you would need to contact them for delivery arrangements. (They might deliver for "free" if you offer to run the driver back to the airport - you pay fuel both ways and the formal paperwork is done at the airport).

Travel Tips for Kruger National Park

Making Reservations for Kruger

by DamatDave

Camping in Kruger is great fun, and it doesn't take much. I did it literally with just a tent and sleeping bag. A little preparation before hand would have made things a bit smoother for me once in the park. True to my form, I made no reservations whatsoever, and just rolled into a restcamp and asked for a permit. I was lucky since there was a sympathetic worker on hand and he sold me four nights worth for that camp. He then told me to just camp in whatever restcamp I wanted to. So long as I had the right number of nights paid for upon exiting I would be fine. I don’t know if that trick would work today, but the moral of the story is make reservations early, and by early I mean 9 months or so. The Afrikaners like to camp, and Kruger is one of the cheapest places to do so. So it fills up quick! Fondest Memory? Getting chased by a pissed off cow elephant and successfully getting out of her way.

Queen of the Beasts!

by Bwana_Brown

On our final morning in Kruger, we had left Mopani Camp by 7 AM as we had a relatively long drive to the south, hoping to reach the Nelspruit area before dark. About a half-hour later, we noticed vultures circling and decided to slow down a bit just in case some action had taken place overnight. Three minutes later, we spotted some White-Backed Vultures in a tree so we figured that we might be onto something. Less than a minute later, we came to a stop as we spotted a lioness sitting at the side of the road. After observing us for a while, she walked out onto the highway, then paused to look at us, before she continued across the highway as you see in the photo. It took her a full minute to make the crossing from when we first spotted her. No trouble telling who was in charge! Notice that I am correctly on the LEFT side of the road as the rules dictate!

Cameras and binoculars

by MattTB

You really need a 300mm zoom lens to capture some great pictures! I took a 120mm handheld, but the zoom was'nt good enough to get the great shots I wanted. Luckily Neil 'The Bearded Heron' let me use his 300mm SLR camera and I got great pics like the one attached! Bring a quicker film speed for low light experiences, ie at dusk/dawn!

Bring binoculrs too for birds and animals deep in the bush! Again my guide Neil had all thses at hand!

Health and disease awareness

by Jenniflower

When travelling in any rural area, always be aware of what you are eating and drinking, and what little dangers there might be. Rather be safe than sorry!

Besides malaria, there are other diseases such as dengue and sleeping sickness carried by insects. These are not that common though, and you need only take the usual precautions of wearing long sleeves and trousers, not shorts, and using Tabard and repellents.

South African water is very tasty and perfectly drinkable when out of a tap. Do not drink water out of a river though. This could prove fatal. Avoid swimming in stagnant water too, as there could be ecoli present.

AIDS is rife in South Africa, sadly, so the use of condoms is a MUST.

Animal-Spotting Etiquette

by diver-x

When driving around Kruger Park on your own, it's pretty easy to spot animals. When all else fails, you'll see people pulled over on the side of the road with their heads & cameras turned to one side or another and you'll easily see what they are looking at. Since there are so many others trying to see what you also want to see, here are some helpful hints for polite animal viewing:

If you're going to spend more than a couple of minutes gazing at some animals, turn off your engine.

If you see a lion walking along the side of the road, do not slam on your brakes, scream, pull up right beside it and back your car up the road to match the lion's trajectory. This will only chase away the lion (I kid you not, we saw this happen!), and annoy others who were trying to get a look.

Always stop smoothly and keep a reasonable distance from the animals. Do not pull up alongside the animals on the roadside unless you really mean to pass by and move on. Don't make any sudden noises.

Do not open your car door when viewing animals up close. They will immediately feel threatened and will run away or attack.

Comments