Royal Malewane

South Africa

More about Kruger National Park

Animal footprints on the concrete floor - brillianAnimal footprints on the concrete floor - brillian

Weaver's nestsWeaver's nests

Agama lizardAgama lizard

One of my favourite zebra photosOne of my favourite zebra photos

by mattbp

Hi

We are flying into Nelspruit and hope to hire a car and a tent, or buy one in Nelspruit before heading into Kruger for 3 nights to drive around the Park. Any advice on best campsites to go to?

After we have to head to Durban. Would it be better to fly from Nelspruit to Durban or drive out of Kruger to Durban?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Matt

Re: Camping in Kruger in April, arriving from Nelspruit before heading to Durban any tips?

by lynnehamman

HI Matt

Have a look at this website for the many choices of camp.

WE stayed at Ngwenya camp- but I am not sure if they have a camping area.
By the way, there are some camps that have tents already. Very cheap (from R150 per night) and they have facilities for cooking and showers

Flying or driving to Durban out of Nelspruit depends on how much time you have, because its a good few hours drive to Durban (the scenery is awesome, but roads can be a bit hairy)

If you would like more info on Kruger, I have a page. Click on my name for my HOMEPAGE- There is a LINK for Kruger Park

Happy travels

by CatherineReichardt

Hi Matt
Can't comment on camp sites - havign spent a lot of my early career in a tent, I have to be paid to camp these days! - but would definitely trust Lynne's judgement.
Whether you fly or drive from Kruger to Durban depends primarily on how much time you've got. There is a direct flight from Nelspruit to Durban (South African Airways, 1 hour 20mins duration). However, as this is not a particularly popular route, so flights won't be very frequent and are likely to be comparatively expensive due to lack of competition on the route. As a starting point, consult www.flysaa.com for an idea of flight frequency and price.
If you drive, then you can either drive through Swaziland, or skirt its weatern border. This is an interesting drive, but as these are not highways, it's going to be slow going,(and, of course if you drive through Swaziland, you have the pleasure of two additional border crossings). I would say that you would have to drive pretty intensely to complete this journey in a day.
The beauty of the driving option is that you see what's en route, and it is very scenic along most of the route. I am a particular fan of northern KwaZulu Natal, so one of the great benefits of this route is the opportunity to stop off at Hluhluwe-Umfolozi game park (which will give you a very different - but equally rewarding - game viewing experience to Kruger) and then take a break in magical Eshowe or the Zulu War battlefields, depending on your interests. Have a look at my Hluhluwe and Eshowe pages to find out more if this sounds of interest.
Really there's no wrong answer: it's really a matter of what fits with your timing and priorities.
Happy plotting!
Regards
Cathy

Travel Tips for Kruger National Park

when to go

by wernermark

We just got back from Jo'berg / Victoria Falls / Kruger / Capetown, and late September worked for us. It was still cool in Kruger, and still dry so the animals congregated at water as advertized. Kruger was spectacular -- animals virtually on the road all over the place.
Cape Town was unseasonably cool (or so the locals told us), but it was nice and sunny 5 days out of our 6. The rainy day we used for wine tasting.
Victoria Falls was low-water, so not as spectacular, but then again I understand that in high water the mist obscures the view anyway. Perhaps some day we'll make it back to Vic Falls in the high water season and see the difference. We enjoyed the low-water Vic Falls very much and I'd recommend a September trip as a good all-around compromise.

SPEED LIMIT

by Braveheart.southafrr

the speed limit must be adhere to they even have speed traps on the roads in the park most often just before closing time of the gate then the people are scared that they dont make it in time and get caught with a hefty fine .......................

Be prepared to wait.

by K.Knight

While in Africa you should expect to wait in line for some considerable amount of time! At border crossings it is nothing to wait 3 or 4 hours for a stamp in your passport.
Here we are waiting for our tickets to enter the Kruger National Park, which only took 40 minutes because there were no groups in front of us!

Conservation

by nichole_521

There are daily conservation fees for the park and South African citizens and International citizens pay different prices. We found it to be cheaper (not much) to buy the WILD card. This will also allow us to get into other South African National Parks for free during our stay in the country. You can buy the WILD card at the Nelspruit airport, at the gate or online.

When in Africa...

by kzngirl

Biltong – As a South African, I have spent most of my childhood gnawing on sticks of biltong. These are strips or sticks of dried meat, usually spiced in a variety of ways: chilli/BBQ/spicy/plain etc.

Biltong can be made from most game. There are different types of biltong: wet and fatty tends to be softer meat with more fat than usual while dry is usually tough and chewy. I discovered the best biltong I have ever tasted on my last trip to Kruger Park: Elephant biltong.

It was the most tender, tasty biltong I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying…full in flavour and easy to chew. I highly recommend you try some of the varieties on offer.

Many of the shops in the park now sell biltong from a variety of game – everything from buffalo, to elephant to impala.

Be daring and try something new!

Comments