Kruger National Park, South Africa

More about Kruger National Park

CheetahCheetah

Lilac breasted RollerLilac breasted Roller

LeopardLeopard

A closer look at the fruit batsA closer look at the fruit bats

Kruger activities

by schmechi

Unfortunately I was not able to get an accomodation inside Kruger. So is there any possibility to make the night game drive and/or the bush braai staying outside the park? I'll stay in Komatipoort near Crocodile Bridge gates if this matters...

Btw: Is Kruger crowded these days? Is it possible to get an entrance ticket as early as possible? Or will I still get in around 9:00-10:00 a.m.?

Re: Kruger activities

by lynnehamman

Yes it is possible to get a full day trip in the park. Enquire at the tourist/entrance desk- there will be no problem. You would need transport, though- they do have bush drives. Kruger is always busy.............its a popular destination for tourists & locals.

Re: Kruger activities

by IcedT

It may be best to enquire at the accommodation that you are staying in - if they have night drives into Kruger - some outside companies do offer that.

You could say Kruger is always busy, but depending on the day and time of year and route within that you take, you can drive half a day without seeing another car. Take the smaller side roads, drive slowly and you are guaranteed to see alot more wildlife than sticking to the main roads. Of course if there is a "kill" nearby and word gets out you may notice a gathering of cars, but you could be lucky and see it first.

Never had a problem getting in, however you may want to start your day earlier as there is more game and bird activity in the earlier hours before the heat of the day sets in.

Travel Tips for Kruger National Park

GET IN CHEAPER!

by DAO

Have any South African friends? You may want to make some - quick. 2 of us (Tourists) took 2 South African friends with us. We paid less for all 4 than the price for 2! How did we do it? One of our South African friends drove to the gate and bought tickets for all 4 of us "South Africans". That's right - locals get in cheap!

I have provided the link below of the current traiffs.

KRUGER NATIONAL PARK ENTRY CHARGES

Waking Up Early and Safari Drives

by MattTB

Firstly wake up early! The park gates open at 6 am at the camps and you want to be one of the first out as many good sightings can be found at dawn.

Secondly, if you want to see as many animals as possible, you need to spend as much time as possible out on a safari drive. Luckily thanks to my guide, 'the bearded heron' I was not restriced to one drive a day, I could spend all day on a drive if I wished. I did this and as a result saw the 'big five' and many other great animals!! I think my first day was full of normal sitings.. ie Zebra, Impala.. they are everywhere! Then at about noon on the second day I got my first big cat siting and everything got better from there!! The wildness, the open space full of amazing animals!

Gas

by nichole_521

I was wondering how much gas we would use in a week and it less than I thought. We used a gas of tank, which I did not think was bad at all. Gas is available at the main rest camps and they do not take credit cards.

(There seemed to be ATMs throughout the park.)

Viewing times in the Kruger National Park

by Jenniflower

I have been to Kruger many times over the years, and am going again in January 2009!! :)

Something to remember when visiting the park in summer... when it is greener and lusher... is that the animals are harder to spot then. We have had some of our best sightings in winter, when they are easier to see.

The best place to view animals in the summer time is near the water, they congregate near the watering holes early morning and late afternoon, when it is a bit cooler. Midday is far too hot to be about, so they lie in the shade and coolness of the trees and shrub.. which makes you seeing them a near impossibility. This is a good time for you too to have a rest, swim, eat lunch etc.

In summer it also gets very hot in your car (unbearably so), and you shouldn't drive with your window open... so make sure you have air conditioning. You might very likely get rain during summer - although I doubt constant, winters are very dry in this region.

We do most of our viewing early morning and late afternoon.

The Big Five - The Buffalo

by MarioPortugal

The Buffalo
Syncerus caffer (H: 1,6 m; 750 kg; record horn 1,29 m).

Buffalo prefer the open savannah with tall, coarse grass. They live in herds of up to 500, although old, solitary bulls are often seen. These hot-tempered bulls can charge unexpectedly, and are therefore considered on of Africa's most dangerous species.

in: The Kruger Map - Kruger National Park