Arethusa Sabi Sands, Nelspruit, Mpumalanga, 1380, South Africa
Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 135% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Elephant Plains Game Lodge

Nelspuit backbacker's hostelNelspuit backbacker's hostel

Lioness in the TreesLioness in the Trees

Game trip

by SupeC

Wonder if anyone can advise? My husband and I are flying to Johannesburg in mid January and would like to go straight on to a game lodge somewhere probably in the Kruger not too expensive but comfortable, all inclusive and with good game viewing. There are so many to choose online and it would be great to have a recommendation. We like comfort, but not over the top and unnecessary luxury!

We think we will probably fly in as we will be doing a fair bit of driving later on during th holiday.

Many thanks.

by fossettes

I am researching the same for a trip in September but am too late to get into the one I wanted. Have a look at Elephant Plains in Sabi Sand Reserve. It seems to be the most affordable in SS and gets excellant ratings on tripadvisor - 80 reviews and all with the highest rating. It looks lovey. We have booked into Nottens Bush Camp and I'm very excited! Have a great time!

by GrumpyDiver

We did this quite a few years ago, and if things have not changed, look at visiting Kruger Park, rather than the private reserves - we found the game viewing there much better.

If it matters, I am comparing what we saw at Sabi Sabi against Kruger Park.

by SupeC

Thanks for that advice. Elephant Plains looks good and I will investigate further.
I have been to Nottens twice - years ago - and it was fantastic. I am still wondering whether to blow the budget and return there as we had such a fantastic experience both times.
Hav a great time.
Another question- now wondering whether to drive from Jo'burg or fly in?

by lynnehamman

I think that hiring a car at Johannesburg airport is the best idea- its about 2-3 hour comfortable drive. Having your own transport in the park gives flexibility, and you can drive around and will see many many animals.
We stayed at Ngwenya Lodge- lovely accommodation with restuarant & swimming pool, and wonderful views over the Crocodile River. Its in southernmost part of the park.
If you want more info, have a read of my Kruger Park page. I have accomodation,transport, things to do tips etc. Scroll down page for tip section.

Here is the url: (copy and paste) or look on my HOMEPAGE- there is a link.

by Gerald_D

Lynne, if you can drive to Ngwenya lodge in 2-3 hours from JHB airport, you will be breaking the speed limit - it is 430km. ;-)

by fossettes

Gerald - I was thinking the same thing! It's 480 km to Nottens, so 2 - 3 hours seemed a little quick! Although it is that from Nelspruit...

SupeC - glad to hear you liked Nottens - it'll be our first time there!

by lynnehamman

OK Gerald- so maybe its 4 .....or 5...or 6 depending on stops ans speed!

Whatever.....its not a very long way, is it?

Comments