Hornby Lodge

View of the harbour - PEView of the harbour - PE

Anne's B & BAnne's B & B

Public LibraryPublic Library

THE CRESTTHE CREST

hi hi.....i am landing in the beautiful PE soon in Sept....yummy

by vanatomic

hi hi.
I am flying over to PE from sept 18 to Oct 5 this year. Have a few questions....hope to get your assistance....
;-)

1) What is the weather during that period. Is it spring or autumn and what is the temperature like?
2) what kind of clothes shd I bring over?
3)I am very interested in the seaview nature reserve mentioned in the forum. What does it have and any specific ones near humewood cos that's where I am staying
4) Is Pier 14, Traduna Mall a shopping paradise and how far by driving to there from Humewood?
5) Those pubs such as "Blinking Hour" and "Toby Joes".....do they welcome black patrons and asian patrons? (This question is not meant to offend anyone so if any of u think that this question is rude, I say my sorries here first)
5)Any GOOD big shopping malls and flea markets cos I will be alone most of the time and I do need to occupy myself with plenty of activities but I must admit that I really love shopping in South Africa. Never has been a shoppaholic in Singapore though...haha
6) Where are the best and affordable places to purchase soverneirs for frds?
7) Any other interesting activities and things that u friendly folks can think of, I am Game!;-)
8) I know that from time to time, there might be events like a jazz festival or a outdoor concert or any other events happening in PE. How do I get hold of such info and is there any such activities during the period that I am there? Are prices expensive??... To tell u the truth, I might move to PE one day and I really want to try living the life of a local even though I know it is probably quite tough since I am there only for 18 days. But at least this is my second trip to PE since Jan 2004 and I genuinely like PE. So, I would appreciate all the help I can get.

I know my questions are a bit long-winded.....but thanks a million.......hope to hear from you soon...

Vanvan

by galy

I would also love to know, any flea market, antique bazars along the garden route?

Re: Re: hi hi.....i am landing in the beautiful PE soon in Sept....yummy

by cleocat

Sept - Oct is Spring in PE. PE tends to be windy so you will need something warm but normally during the day it can get warm. The people in PE should be able to comment on the fleamarkets but I am sure there will be. Along the gardenroute Knysna is a nice place to visit. There are a lot of artist shops at the mall with interesting typical African art and handcrafts.

Hope it helps a bit.

by Gerald_D

Galy, "The Global Village" in Plettenberg Bay (Piesang Valley Road) looks like nothing from the outside, but is amazing once you walk inside. In Knysna there are lots of these market shops, but not a single one appeals to me like the Global Village.

by Gerald_D

Maybe you don't know these links:

May I suggest that you mail your list of questions to Tourism Port Elizabeth at pepa@iafrica.com?

by vanatomic

okie dokie...thanks...I will look thru the links...

by spiderimba

Hi I am originally from PE, not been there for 7 years but try to go back every year or so. I will try and think of the answers to your questions.

I was there in September and it was not cold or windy actually it was quite warm. But the nights got a bit chilly. I think bring a bit of both a few light tops and some some jersey's and coats.

Humewood is the nice area, right near the beach and all the nightlife. You will also be near to Art in the Park which is a huge market on a sunday, in the park.

I think Pier 14 is something new - Im heard people talking about it I think it is quite close by humewood or by walmer which is quite close - depending if you are going by car as the buses in p.e are rubbish i used to wait for hours, but they might have changed.
There is another huge shopping mall called Greenaches in central p.e, this is the most popular mall when i lived there and still was when i visited.

Best sovenior shop is by the casino they have lots of soveniors there. There are a few festivals in November and December around the beach area and markets down on the humewood beach area.

Try to go to Nysna is very beutiful and blue water bay is half hour away. Also go to Jeffrey bay to get surfing clothes. If you need anymore help ask me most my friends still live there

Travel Tips for Port Elizabeth

NuKaKamma PPC Canoe Trail.

by PEE-WEE

Situated on the Sunday's River in the Eastern Cape, a mere 38 km drive from Port Elizabeth; it starts and ends in a little hamlet called Cannonville.

The flat water trail is a 14,5 paddle to the overnight camp.
There are 210 recorded bird species in the area . Wildlife can be seen on the paddle to and from the campsite.

The trail is the first and only canoe trail in South Africa to receive accreditation from the South African Trail Owners Association.

The Boardwalk

by PierreZA

The Boardwalk is a more recent development on the beach front. It has a casino, restaurants, many good shops, cinemas and a variety of entertainment for young and old.
During peak holiday season (December/January) it can get very busy.
It is especially vibrant at night.

Port Elizabeth – The Friendly City

by MikeAtSea

Port Elizabeth was started as a buffer town to prevent invading Xhosas to penetrate the Cape Colony. The city is located on a steep hill that rises from the Algoa Bay.
Today Port Elizabeth and its nearby city Uitenhage is the centre for the car manufacturing industry of South Africa. Contrasts in Port Elizabeth are vast – a pretty city centre with many colonial buildings combined with a modern centre and large middle and upper class suburbs in comparison with massive town ships that surround the city.
Port Elizabeth is considered the start of the Garden Route – the scenic route that connects the city with Mossel Bay, some of the highlights include Knysna and the Tsitsikama National Park.
Also close by to the Friendly City lies the Addo Elephant Park where one is almost guaranteed to see the mighty elephant.
The city lies in the Eastern Cape Province which is a diverse but largely underdeveloped region. Its main native population is the Xhosa tribe. The former two independent homelands the Transkei and Ciskei were north of the city.
Undoubtedly the Eastern Cape offers many highlights such as un-crowded beaches and magnificent walking trails along the coast, combined with beautiful nature and game reserves and towns such as Port Elizabeth.

Comments