Kariega Game Reserve

Close to Kenton-on-Sea, Along the Sunshine Coast, , Eastern Cape, 6191, South Africa

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 337% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• travelingLJ's Profile Photo

Peaceful and relaxing game reserve

I stayed in one of the Kareiga Lodge chalets. Although I reserved and paid for a lodge for two people, I was upgraded to a three-bedroom chalet with a private pool because there were few guests at that time! The chalet was in excellent condition and the deck and pool overlooked a beautiful ravine. The food in the restaurant was tasty and the service very professional.

Unique Quality: Much of the game reserve is located on a plateau beyond the reach of the rhinos and other dangerous animals. As a result it is possible to hike or mountain-bike in the bush to view animals like zebras, giraffes and wildebeest. This unique opportunity was the highlight of my South African experience.

The restaurant is located on the edge of a plateau, overlooking the main part of the reserve. You can watch rhinos and other animals roaming below while you have your breakfast (or lunch or dinner)!

If you have your own transport, it's possible to visit the Shamwari and Addo reserves for day trips from Kariega.

Directions: About an hour and a quarter drive from Port Elizabeth.

More about Kariega Game Reserve

Kariega Game Reserve

by sayville about private chalet

Great accommodations. I would definetly stay here again. Private chalet with 2 king size bedrooms, 2 private bathrooms and a full kitchen and sitting area. Reserve has larger and smaller chalets also. Beautifully decorated in African decor. Nice back deck that overlooked the safari reserve. Great food. Buffets with all you can eat for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was buffet and menu.

Safari

by sayville

I went to Kariega Game Reserve a small none commerical Safari park just outside of Grahamstown, South Africa. It was awesome. My daughter and I had a private chalet. We had a full kitchen, (not that we really needed it as we got 3 meals a day at the resturant on the grounds). There was a large sitting area with TV and fire place. On either side of the sitting room was a king size bedroom. Each with a private bathroom. One had a shower the other a tub. THe entire back of the chalet had either french doors or windows that overlooked the safari park. We went out on a morning and evening safari each day.

TOURS AND TRANSFERS

by BerniShand

We flew to Port Elizabeth to go and do a safari at Kariega game reserve in Kenton-on-Sea, the reserve arranged our very reasonably priced transfer for us and we were met at the airport by Cedric, one half of All Seasons Tours and Transfers

What a great guy ! After settling us into his comfortable car we set off, he gave us lots of great information about Port Elizabeth and and the route to Kariega, we had a `comfort stop` on the way [its a 90 minute journey to the game reserve] at a lovely roadhouse, we could have stopped for coffee but Cedric had a cool bag with drinks. By the time we had reached Kariega we felt we were travelling with a friend.
Our return journey after our safari was just as much fun, Cedric gave us a mini tour of the places in Port Elizabeth we hadnt seen previously and we stopped for coffee and a sandwich at a great little beach front restaurant before going to catch our flight, where with hugs and handshakes we said goodbye to our new friend

All Seasons is a relatively new business and these guys work really hard at getting the service right, I can certainly recommend them for any transport needs in this part of South Africa

Kariega Game ReserveKariega Game Reserve

Better Safari: Namibia or South Africa?

by JogaBonito

I will be traveling to Namibia in mid September followed by South Africa in late September/early October. I will be spending 4 days in Namibia and 6 days in South Africa and wanted to see which place would be ideal for a Safari.

I'm going as part of a study abroad program so they offer us some options, I wanted to see if anyone can recommend any of these places or let me know which the ideal place to go on a Safari would be.

I can also decide to do it on my own so if you have any reccomendations for tour guides/lodges please let me know..

Here are the options they offer us if I was to do a safari with the program..

Namibia:

Manyeleti Game Reserve
Makalali

Thanks in advance!

by anton64

I would certainly try to do the Etosha trip and time permitting Kruger as well. If time is an issue then a smaller park like Pilansberg is good. Unfortunately I have not personally been to the other SA parks you mention so can not give a view but I would assume they are all pretty good for a shorter visit.

by Wowmoment

I have only been to Etosha also.

It was great but as regards sighting wildlife, if that is your aim, it is absolutely huge. This is great wild open space for the animals but not so good for us animals spotters. The few days I was there I saw loads of things which were wonderful, but not a single lion and only the disappearing back end of a rhino. You will be delighted as I was with what you do see but just take the warning.

Maybe a smaller park as well would give a balance.

Enjoy

by JohanIsWeg

I would suggest your best chance of seeing the Big Five would be a smaller game reserve. Been to Etosha and the Kruger, and enjoyed both, especially the Kruger. However, the only place we've seen the lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhino - all on one safari - has been Natal's Hluhluwe-Umfolozi. It has an Unesco world heritage camp and is also the park attributed with saving the white rhino. Fantastic experience!
Stayed in bungalows in the Umfolozi section, with hyenas coming onto the verandah at night after we've retired. Would recommend without hesitation.
For your info, Botswana (in the north) also has some very good game reserves.
You'll enjoy it no matter where you go!

Comments