Pumba Game Reserve

Section of the Port Elizabeth CoastlineSection of the Port Elizabeth Coastline

PEPE

THE RARE WHITE LIONTHE RARE WHITE LION

Port Elizabeth and the Campanile TowerPort Elizabeth and the Campanile Tower

Garden Route - overnight stops?

by missesg

Hello
yes, me again :-D. Ok, so still pondering what to do when we get to PE, but have got a few weeks to figuer that one out still, but I am also struggling with our stopover locations as we drive from Cape Town to PE.
I almost know the guidebook off by heart, and I've looked on countles websites, but there are so many fab places to stop, but we can only make 3 stopovers, and one of those will definately be Hermanus/Gansbaai. So, the other two... Knysna looks lovely, but it looks a long drive from Hermanus to Knysna.
Am I right in guessing it will take between 3-4 hours to drive from Knysna to PE? And, where do you recommend we make our other stoppover?
I'm sorry for all the questions - the more I try and research it myself using the guide books, the moer confused I get.
thanks

RE: Garden Route - overnight stops?

by Gillybob

Oudtshoorn! I'd get myself an ostrich massage and go and see the big cats at Cango Wildlife Ranch again!

RE: Garden Route - overnight stops?

by Gerald_D

For honeymooners, my logical choice will be the tiny village of Nature's Valley. Google "Nature's Valley za" It is only 2.5 hours from PE and you can easily do this the morning before your flight. Suggest http://www.tranquilitylodge.co.za/.

There is only one basic pub/shop in the village (food is "okay"), so check with your guesthouse about an evening meal.

RE: RE: Garden Route - overnight stops?

by cleocat

From Hermanus I think Mossel Bay should be your next stop. Quite a long drive and not too much to see. But from there onwards everything is stunning. From Mossel Bay to Wildernis is quite a quick drive. Wildernis is a lovely area but Knysna has more to do and see. Oudshoorn is something totally different but nearly a must see with the ostriches and caves. We stayed in Wildernis once and did a comfortable day trip to Oudshoorn, visited a ostrich farm, the cheetah place, the caves and an angora rabbit farm. Maybe the next stop Nature's Valley / TSitsikama - close to each other. From there to PE is not too far. Enjoy.

Re: Garden Route - overnight stops?

by PierreZA

Hi, don't know if you have already done your trip. I'm from PE and would gladly assist you - if any questions

Travel Tips for Port Elizabeth

WATERSPORTS.

by PEE-WEE

Port Elizabeth’s greatest asset is its clean and beautiful beaches. Water temperatures vary between 18 and 21 degrees Celsius during Summer and 14 to 19 degrees Celsius during Winter. The sea conditions are generally calm in the bay, except when the South Easterly wind is blowing. All beaches are patrolled by fully-trained professional life guards. Apart from the more "mainstream" sports, a temperate climate, unspoilt beaches and the warm seawater make this city perfect for thrilling watersports opportunities.

MARKET SQUARE.

by PEE-WEE

In the heart of the old city where visitors once outspanned their ox wagons, is the footing for our city hall,Now restored,.
The city hall was partially destroyed by fire in 1977.
In front of the building is a replica of the cross planted by Bartholomew Diaz in 1488 at Kwaaihoek,the headland where he first landed

Port Elizabeth

by mvtouring

"The windy city"

Port Elizabeth is one of those places that you either love or hate. Known as the friendly city, and the windy city, I found that the latter is the only true name for it. I lived here for 5 years and hated the first 3 years. Then I decided that if I did not pull myself together, I would be miserable for a long, long time. It is a nice city to go for vacation with lots to offer the traveler.

PE is one of South Africa's best beach holiday destinations, with 40km of unspoiled coastline — mostly golden sandy beaches renowned across the world. Summer stretches from October to April, with an average temperature maximum of 25°C throughout January to March.

Algoa Bay is Africa’s water sport capital. There’s yachting and boat cruises, windsurfing, jet skiing and diving. The Bay is one of the best sailing waters in the world. Scuba diving is of world-class quality with great reefs, plenty of shipwrecks, fish and colorful coral.

You mustn’t miss the magnificent wild game viewing in malaria-free game reserves. Within less than an hour’s drive of Port Elizabeth you can see the Big Five (elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion and leopard) and many other species.

Comments