Hotel on the Park

More about Durban

The Port of Durban - EsplanadeThe Port of Durban - Esplanade

DurbanDurban

(c) www.dining-out.co.za(c) www.dining-out.co.za

Giant moth in the kitchenGiant moth in the kitchen

Flat/Self-Catering/Apartment Rental desired for 24 nights

by MollyBarrett

I am a nursing student who is spending three weeks with the Durban Planned Parenthood office (located in Pinetown). I am trying to arrange last-minute housing for the duration of my visit in Durban. I arrive on 8 June 2006 and my brother will be with me until 20 June 2006. My husband then arrives on 25 June 2006. We are in dire need of a cheap self-catering rental. We need to sleep up to 3 at a time (prefer a double bed with another sleeping option, such as a pull-out couch or twin bed or futon). We would like self-catering because of the length of the stay and do not want to eat out each meal! We located a flat rental on Gillespie Street but were told it was a bad area for crime (?). Any suggestions, contact info, etc. would be MUCH APPRECIATED! Thank you!

Addendum

by MollyBarrett

I forgot to mention that we will be departing from Durban on 1 July 2006.

RE: RE: Flat/Self-Catering/Apartment Rental desired for 24 nights

by saralucy

Try info@durban-hotel.com
Explain what you need and I am sure they will help you.

RE: Flat/Self-Catering/Apartment Rental desired for 24 nights

by Gerald_D

Read this article for a feel of the Gillespie Street area:

RE: Flat/Self-Catering/Apartment Rental desired for 24 nights

by victormumbo

Hi,
Gillespie street by UK or European standards is dangerous.
Gor SA standards it does,nt compare to the horrors of Jo'Burg.
if you are white be extra vigilant.
please be aware the average prevalence for hiv amonst young black males is about one in four.They may seem extra friendly but once in your flat they won't take no for an answer and will probably refuse to usea condom.

Travel Tips for Durban

SHAKA ZULU.

by PEE-WEE

THE STORY OF SHAKA – KING OF THE ZULU’S

Long ago, in 1789, in the rolling green hills of Zululand, a Zulu woman called Nandi gave birth to an unwanted and illegitimate child. The child’s father, Senzangakona, from the clan of Zulu, wanted nothing to do with them and the tribal elders sent a message to Nandi saying "the girl has a beetle (shaka) in her belly". Nandi was relegated to the lowly position of third wife. When Shaka was six years old he allowed a dog to kill one of Senzangakona’s sheep and from that day forth, Shaka and Nandi were cast out by the Zulu clan.

In shame, they were forced to return to the clan of Nandi’s family. Shaka hated living with his mother’s family, they were treated as outcasts and he continuously suffered the cruel, taunting of the other children who referred to him as "the fatherless one." The family were forced to move around from clan to clan until they found a degree of acceptance by the Mtetwa tribe. Shaka grew to young manhood herding sheep and cattle. He showed extraordinary bravery in protecting the animals under his care, and one day killed a leopard single handedly using two throwing spears and a club.

At the age of twenty-one, Shaka became a soldier and distinguished himself in battle under the Mtetwa chieftain Dingiswayo. Shaka proved to be an excellent military strategist and introduced changes in battle methods that were to be a great success. Dingiswayo was a good leader of his people, and under his protection, Shaka grew into a rich and important person. One day Senzangakona came to pay homage to Dingiswayo and was gratified to find that his son had become a great man. He promised Shaka the chieftainship of the Zulu clan after his death. However Senzangakona bowed to the pressure of his wives, and after his death, Shaka’s young half-brother, Sugujana became chief. When Shaka heard the news he broke into a great rage and killed the new chief in battle.

Zulu passion

by THLIN

you can feel the olden days of how Zulu people live and how their traditions you can also see their show being touched by their heavenly voice in my view they are simple person in this complicated world

Absolute Luxury

by kzngirl about The Sugar Club

The Sugar Club

This is a fabulous restaurant situated inside the Beverly Hills hotel on Umhlanga Beachfront...Definitely one for special occasions! I have been there a few times and have always been wow'ed by the service and special touches given to the dining experience.

We usually have drinks on the Pool Terrace, before heading indoors and starting our meal. I started with Carpaccio of Ostrich, with wasabi mayonnaise, vegetable sushi and tomato ginger compote. For mains, both mum and I had Chicken Tikka, with Indonesian Stir-Fry vegetables, with a mango tumeric and coconut sauce. This was accompanied by a deep fried banana with sesame seeds - divine! My dad had Lobster Broth to start, which he found amazing (if a little too filling) followed by roast rack of Karoo lamb, ratatouille and fried potato cakes, natural jus and roasted vegetables.

After all that I thought I was too full for dessert, and then I saw what was on offer and couldn't resist! I ordered the Baked Lemon Pudding, with iced lemon tequila mousse and candied orange segments.

As if one visit wasn't enough! I then took one of my best friends there for dinner on my last night in South Africa. This time, I had the African Caesar Salad (with Biltong shavings) and Spiced Chicken soup with fresh vegetables, while Kerry had the most incredible goat's cheese starter, followed by Beef Wellington.

Between courses we ordered the Strawberry Champagne Sorbet - it came served in an ostritch egg-sized carved ice bowl - one of the most incredible things I have ever had the good fortune to try! I highly recommend it (mind you it is a whopping big portion, much larger than the usual sorbet servings in between meals!)

Natal Sharks Board

by GerryFM

The Natal Sharks Board is the responsible organisation, for ensuring that our beaches are safe for bathers to swim in, and the manage the shark nets along a 320 km coast line in the province of Kwazulu Natal.

The home base, in Umhlanga Rocks, is an interesting place to visit, where you will have a fascinating insight into these mysterious and much feared creatures of the deep.

Whilst you are there you will have the opportunity to see the research team disect a shark, caught in the nets, and who knows what they might find in the bellies of these sharks.

For the more adventurous there are trips out to sea on an NSB skiboat, modified to accommodate tourists, to observe, first hand, the staff servicing the shark nets off Durban's Golden Mile. Experience and enjoy the sights of Durban as you travel through the harbour and out to sea into the rising sun. Sharks are not always found in the nets but there will be ample opportunity to see and learn about the dolphins, seabirds and fish life that abound in our coastal waters

Snorkling at UShaka Marine World

by cokes

This is something that I do recommend. I really enjoyed my 45mins in the Snorkel Lagoon. There is alot of beautiful fish in the lagoon including lots of Hound Shark.

There is 2 options when it comes to the snorkel lagoon is that you that pay R70 for 45mins or R160 for a all day pass but I definitely recommend it.

If you pay to go to the Sea World at UShaka Marine World then you can go to the Lagoon where you would pay again to Snorkel.

Comments