Royal(harbour View)

Inside the CasinoInside the Casino

...and again!...and again!

Safari Park

by MamguIz&Will

We are spending a week in the Durban area any suggestions which Safari Park is the best to visit and is it better to go on an organised safari or self drive?

by nichole_521

I have never been on a full day organized safari, so I can not speak with regards to that. I have been on a self drive 'safari' and loved it and often was very happy I was not being toted around.

I did go on one guided morning drive which was also very fun, but after four hours with a guide I was thrilled to get back in my own car. We did not see anything with the guide that we did not already see by ourselves. This of course is situatational and up to the 'wild' themselves!

Not sure this helped. Have fun and safe travels. :)

by canuck68

I absolutely agree with the first post. I have been on an organised drive and we didn't see any more game (actually less) than when we did a self drive. Of course it does depend on the animals but I thought it was much more comfortable in our own car.

by MamguIz&Will

Thank you both for your replies - thats made our mind up - we'll drive but which is the best one to visit?

by dmcourtspahr

I would suggest Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park. If my memory serves me correctly, it is about a 3 hour drive from Durban area (~282km from Durban Airport). I visited this park several times while living in the Durban.
While not as large as Kruger National Park it is quite spectular.
There is a large diversity of fauna and flora. Try this website for more info: http://www.kznwildlife.com/site/index.html

by nichole_521

I was at Kruger National Park and flew there from Cape Town. If you do decide to go to KNP check out the official website for South African National Parks:

While here we stayed at the Lower Sabie, Satara, Oliphants, Tamboti and Skukuza. Our favorite was the small tent camp of Tamboti. Our least favorite was Skukuza very crowed, busy,ect. The other camps were all great. Very easy park to drive around.

Sorry I am not familar with game parks around Durban. I hope someone else can point you in the right dirction if you decide not to travel to Kruger.

by MamguIz&Will

Thanks everyone for your contributions it has helped us sort out what we are going to do on the safari part of our trip

Travel Tips for Durban

Marine Education programs at Sea World Ed.Centre.

by Waalewiener

The Sea World Education Centre has marine education programmes that reaches
scolars,teachers,and all other sectors of the community.Kids cannot expected to meet this challenge without Education about Marine life in the Ocean.
Programs are varied and change all the time to meet the needs of the community.
Courses are a mix of theory and practical about Kwazulu-Natal's Marine Life
SAAMBRbelieves that courses should be available to those who cannot affort a ticket into the Education Centre,so a highly succesful Outreach Programme is in place to support the disadvantaged scholars.
Offered are Program for Teachers and Learners 1)Teacher led visits.
2)Educaters.
7)Marine life courses.
8)Senior school workshops.
9)Marine magic workshops.
10)Holiday workshops.
11) Conferences and Seminars.
12)Outreach programme.

Activities for Secial Adult Groups.
1)Divers workshops.
2)Technikon Nature Conversation
Students.
3)Resource users.
4)Conversation Bodies.
5)Volunteers.
6) Learned Society.

Activities for the General Public.
1)Public Lectures.
2)Public Displays.
3)Information Distribution.
4) Sea World Experience
Commentaries.
5) Discovery room.

Durban July Horse Race

by GerryFM

This is South Africa's premier horse racing event.

People from all of the country flock to Durban over the weekend of the Durban July (usually the first weekend in July), mainly to be seen at this prestigious event.

The Horse Racing aside, the event is more about networking, dressing up and generally just partying the whole day.... it is great fun.

There are various races throughout theday, where you can take a punt on the horses ..... just try not to be like me and back the donkeys all the time!!!

At the end of the day, there is a bit of clean fun in the "13th" race, which is for slightly "rubber faced" men who have been indulging in a few cold ones throughout the day, and they stage their own race down the home stretch in nothing but their "Birthday Suits" !!!!!

The fashion stakes here are also a major attraction, and you will definately find an abundance of jaw droppingingly good look people and outfits!!!! If you are a jockey, I would suggest you bring a horse along!!!!

Otherwise, dress up, bring a fat wallet and your entrance ticket!!!!

PRETORIA --- JACARANDA TREES

by LoriPori

As it was spring-time in South Africa, the vibrant violet blossoms on the JACARANDA TREES , were in full bloom. These wonderful trees line most streets in Pretoria. I was in complete awe of them, as I had never seen anything like it, except perhaps the Magnolia Trees in blossom in Biloxi, Mississippi.

Beach Front Swimming Pool

by ratherton

This is something I could still remember from my visits when I was 7 or 8 years old. Along the beach front are some freshwater swimming pools.

It was winter when I was there last time so I didn't make it to the pools so I've no idea what the rules are for paying etc.

It's a great alternative for those who don't want to venture into the sea.

Leisurely observe the bustle of Durban harbour

by CatherineReichardt

I always think that harbours are fascinating places, bustling with activity, which makes them great places to kick back and watch other people work!
Durban is South Africa's busiest port, with much of the shipping now being containerised. Having done two moves across the Indian Ocean myself, I always find it a little sobering to see the ships piled high with sea containers - they look just a little too precarious when you consider that they're heading out into the open ocean, which probably explains how I justified spending such a fortune on shipping insurance at the time!
Being south of the CBD and surrounded by warehouses, the harbour used to be a bit off the beaten track, but the development of uShaka World just to the north has reinvigorated the whole area and given it a new lease on life. Because of their proximity, it makes sense to incorporate the two into a day out, and they provide an interesting combination of experiences.
The view across the harbour entrance to The Bluff (a wooded ridge topped with a lighthouse) is one of Durban's most famous.
As with most harbours, Durban's offers a seafood restaurant from which you can watch the boats come and go - it's several years since we visited, but at the time, the food was good and reasonably priced.

Comments