Surf n Dreams Guest Lodge

Ying & YangYing & Yang

Carpaccio of Ostrich starterCarpaccio of Ostrich starter

Game reserves

by blujay

Hi, we are cruising to South Africa and one of our stops allows us to go to a game reserve for the day. The choices we have are Thula Thula game reserve and Hluhluwe-umfolozi park. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two parks or which one might be better. Thula Thula is more expensive to visit, is this because it is a private park or is it better? Any help would be appreciated.

by Gerald_D

Thula Thula is a private reserve where the staff will fully guide you for all activities. (including meals)

At Hluhluwe-Umfolozi you drive yourself and view whatever you want, when & where you want. (you can bring picnic basket or visit their restaurant)

by Gerald_D

I think I now realise what you mean by "cruising" . . . . . arrive by ship for a packaged tour. ie. You are trying to choose between two packaged options . . .

Having looked at Thula Thula's site, I see very few wild animals (plenty tame elephants, or is it the same one?) and mostly what I call "theatre". The site is about the people and the atmosphere at the lodges. It is the romantic Africa as you see it in the movies. Hluhluwe-Umfolozi park has lots of animals, but you will probably be in a big coach and won't see them so easily.

by blujay

Sorry, I did not explain myself very clearly.
Yes you are right, we are on a cruise and will be stopping in Port for just the day. I know neither are self drive (for us anyway) so I suppose I want to know which park would have the best experience. We will not be at the lodge, as far as I know we will have a guide and drive through the game parks to see animals and go back to the ship. One of the tours takes only 20 people and the other has potentially unlimited people. Which is where I was thinking, like you, that if they squash heaps of people into a jeep or whatever we may not see much at all. I have probably answered my own question purely on volume of people on each tour.
Thankyou Linda

Linda

I suspect that Thula Thula has 2 or 3 modified LandRovers (typical "safari" open canvas top) with a guide(driver) and tracker (sitting on the hood/bonnet) each, with 7 to 10 passengers per vehicle.

At Hluhluwe-Umfolozi you will probably be in luxury 50 seater coaches, restricted to certain roads only (coach-friendly), and a guide with a microphone up front.

by blujay

Thank you so very much for your time and your answers. I think we will go to Thula Thula reserve, the idea of coaches does not sound too appealing.

Thankyou again

Linda

Travel Tips for Durban

Go watch rugby & join in the...

by Strand_Man

Go watch rugby & join in the party after. Nothing but nothing comes close to the vibe at a game. Win or loose they party after - big time. Find a local pub not the tourist stuff. Have a Indian curry - not at a big name hotel. Go inland to the Valley of a 1000 hills. Visit the smaller town within 50Km. Wear Sunscreen. The great times had at the 1st Keg in Florida Rd
Rugby - Natal whiping Northerns with Naas in the team
Diving and trying to catch crays around Toti.

The Comrades Marathon

by cokes

16 June 2005,The Comrades Marathon is arguably the greatest ultra marathon in the world. Athletes come from all walks of life across the universe to combine muscle and mental strength to conquer 90 kilometres between the cities of Pietermaritzburg and Durban. The Comrades Marathon attracts thousands of runners and tens of thousands of television viewers every year. Running Shoe`s , Jogging Shorts and Top.

BIRD SANCTUARY

by LoriPori

Tuesday, September 20, 1994
After visiting the Croc Park, our brother-in-law took us to the BIRD SANCTUARY. It had numerous kinds of exotic birds, some of which I have never seen before, indiginous only to South Africa. The one pictured here was a beautiful colored bird, which I believe to be a Red-Billed Toucan.

Umhlanga Beach

by kzngirl

Just north of Durban is a small suburb called Umhlanga Rocks, (pronounced um-shlan-gah). Umhlanga is home to my favorite beach when visiting Durban.

Umhlanga means "place of reeds" in Zulu and refers to the beds of reeds growing along the Ohlanga river north of Umhlanga Rocks.

One of the best selling points of this beach is its versatility: the old and young enjoy frolicking in the rock pools at low tide; the granny's rock pool is a favorite for the older generation, the rocks forming a small reefed enclosure where you can float and roll about in the shallow water, warmed by the sun, safe from the effects of the larger waves that crash over the sandy shore a few hundred meters further along. If you prefer to swim out to the breakers and enjoy the exhilaration of heaving water and white-topped waves, then this swimming beach is the place for you...

Mum took me to Umhlanga on my first day home - she packed a cooler bag of some of my favorite SA treats: JC Le Roux sparkling wine (mini bottle - complete with straw!) and a packet of Simba Smoked Beef Chips (Crisps for those in Britain!)

A blue-flag (www.blueflag.org) beach, Umhlanga is a real treasure. Bring your brollies, your cooler bags and your towels, set up camp on the beach front and while away the day reading, sleeping, swimming and eating.

Surrounded by sub-tropical gardens and local fauna, the wonderful eco promenade running across the top of the beach, linking all the hotels, provides both a relaxing walkway or wonderful running path depending on your inclination. Take a stroll before your dinner, or a wander to walk off lunch!

The amenities are excellent and very clean - showers and toilets are provided at regular intervals along the beach. Swimming is only allowed between the two flags set up on the beach and life guards are in attendance. There are shark nets lining Umhlanga beach so swimming is safe. The sand is soft and the water warm :)

Durban City Hall

by dejavu2gb

Originally erected to be the City Hall of Durban, this lovely building was actually the second building in Durban that was built for that purpose. The first original City Hall was made into the main post office.
Another interesting fact about the City Hall is that it is an exact replica of the City Hall In Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Comments