Hluhluwe Hotels

Our Members Say

• poortrekkers profile photo poortrekkers
  • Reviews: 59

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sungulwane Hills Game Lodge: Quiet Game Lodge in Magnificent Setting

We chose this game lodge because of its small size and its close proximity to many of the parks, and were pleasantly surprised by its large offerings and idyllic setting. Sungulwane is situated in its own private game park which is loaded with buck, zebra, white rhino... we even saw a newborn giraffe! The scenery and sunsets were spectacular. The lodge is open and airy with a deck that overlooks a watering hole where animals gather in the evening. Our hosts were very helpful in organizing trips into the bigger parks (Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Reserve and St Lucia Wetland Park) and were full of recommendations for smaller excursions (Zulu Cultural Village, Emdoneni Lodge Animal Rehab Center). They also provided us with phenomenal meals... the dinners were fabulous! The only drawback of this beautiful lodge was our small, unspectacular room.

• Opinion of Price: about average

• MikeAtSea profile photo MikeAtSea
  • Reviews: 2923

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Phinda Private Game Reserve: The Return of the Wild

Phinda was created as a vision to reclaim land that had been used over the years as farm land and to bring the wild life back where it once was.
7 distinct habitats are to be found here offering mangificant game experiences. I have been to Phinda a few dozend times also at times when I did tourist guiding in South Africa. Here I saw my first wild cheetah, my first lion kill and made my first bush walk.

Phinda offers four game lodges in this reserve. All are luxury, with individual service and outstanding cuisine.
My favourite lodge is Phinda Forest lodge. Nestled in the pristine sand forests it is the lodge that brings you the closest to nature.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average