Ngweni Rd, PO Box 247, Hluhluwe, KwaZulu-Natal, 3960, South Africa
Booking.com eDreams

More about Zulu Nyala Heritage Safari Lodge

On Safari in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

by CelticSu about Zulu Nyala Game Lodge

We were in the KwaZulu-Natal area in March 2004.

We stayed at the Zulu Nyala Game Lodge and ventured out from there, visiting St. Lucia, Cape Vidal, & Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park. The Game Lodge was excellent and was situated in a private reserve, so we did some of our game drives right there.

Among other things, we saw Nyala, Warthogs, Zebra, Elephants, Fish Eagle, Hippos, Cape Buffalo, & Rhino.

Part of "I Dreamed of Africa" was filmed at Zulu Nyala and you can still visit the set. Overall, it was a good trip!

Hope this helps!
Suzi Game available for viewing right on the property. 4 star accommodations. Filming site for "I Dreamed of Africa." Knowledgeable guides.

The price is in the range of $553/night, but that includes 3 meals, room, & 2 game drives per day.

Safari Lodge

by omehes about Zulu Nyala Lodge

We loved every minute of our stay here. To wake up at 4-5am in the morning and finding myself in the middle of animal visitors, such as impalas, warthog family and curious vervet monkeys, was a breathtaking experience. The lodge's location: on the hill overlooking the reserve. Nearest Zulu town: Hluhluwe, 40 minutes by car on a dirt road or faster on the main highway.

Need some general logistic questions

by BrianGrant

I have a certificate for a 5 night or so stay at Zulu Nyala game lodge. Am tentatively planning on a 2 week or so trip in late July early August, with my son before he heads off to college. We are hoping to go to the game lodge, perhaps for 3-4 nights, visit Durban and then Cape Town. I need to plan my air travel from Seattle and am wondering about how best to get to Durban, go from Durban to Capetown and then home? Am interested in lower cost business class via consolidators and other routing/airline ideas, including perhaps going via Asia. I am generally an experienced flyer but have no clue how best to make this trip. Also does anyone have experience with the Zulu Nyala group (I bid on the trip at a charity auction)? This is the beginning of my South Africa education. I am reading the Lonely Planet guide but thought some experienced folks reading this forum might keep me from making any major errors.

by Gerald_D

Zulu Nyala is 590km from Johannesburg and 240km from Durban. (from Durban to Cape Town is 1600km - all distances by road)

For a trip of a lifetime, consider flying into Johannesburg, driving to Zulu Nyala, driving to Cape Town and then flying out. All very do-able over 2 weeks as a father/son team. With ladies present, too much time is spent on browsing shops :-)

Can't help on the air arrangements. All I can say is that Durban is about the furthest city from Seattle that you can find. Check a globe - any route/direction from Seattle is about the best :-)

by MichaelDovey

I would fly direct to Cape Town, then hire a car and drive the garden route all the way up to Durban, then fly to Johannesburg and back home.

For domestic flights you can check out www.flysaa.com

Enjoy your trip

Regards

Mike

by lynnehamman

I agree with Michael Doveys idea-the Garden Route is beautiful, with much to see along the way .Air travel within South Africa is cheap and affordable.(and may save time)

by Gerald_D

Would agree that starting a road trip in Cape Town is a nice gentle immersion into South Africa.

I think it is quicker, and cheaper, to drive from Zulu Nyala to Johannesburg, rather than driving to Durban and taking a flight to Johannesburg. You probably can't check your luggage through from Durban.

Johannesburg Zulu Natal Country Manor, One night

by drlegrand

We are booked to stay one night at this B& B and wonder if we should go out to dinner in the area, Fourways, etc? We will be traveling all day before arrival and be leaving for the airport after breakfast. Anyone have any advice?

Re: Johannesburg Zulu Natal Country Manor, One night

by Gerald_D

Think you are talking of Zulu Nyala Country Manor http://www.zulunyala.com/accomcm.htm

Try Monte Casino for browsing & dining - only 6km away

Johannesburg to KwaZulu-Natal

by Philosan

In February we're intending to visit folks in Johannesburg following which we'd like to make our way to the Battlefields and do a safari. Would be glad of any help/suggestions of best way of doing this i.e. should we fly out to Jo'burg but return from Durban? Would the tourist train from J to D be a sensible option as not really keen to drive such a distance? We could take up to 10 days for this trip so should have time to take in another 'port of call' i.e. Durban or the mountains or anywhere else we should see while in this part of the world. Would car hire and booking own accommodation be a sensible option from Durban?
Many thanks.

by faurec

Hi
The KZN part of our country is really nice and a Battlefield tour can create a number of varied emotions. I enjoy visiting in that area.
My personal opinion is the following:
Fly out to Jhb and return from Durbs. May add to airfare but save on road travel time.
Feb is outside our peak holiday season, so finding accommodation as you go should not present any problems.
10 days more than adequate to do Battlefields, and I would suggest the Drakensberg rather than Durban as that extra 'port of call'
Your only problem that I can see is travelling from Jhb to Durban. The best would be own transport.

I do not now if you have a specific Battlefield tour in mind, but I would like to suggest that you contact Nicki at nicki@campaigntrails.co.za (also look at their website). I phoned her and she has agreed that she can collect you in Jhb, and drop you in Durbs or the Drakensberg after a 2 or 3 day tour. (Absolutely no obligation in contacting her)

Hope this help, and ask if you require any other info.
Faure
Cape Town

by mikelisaanna

We did a day in Hluhluwe National Park in KwaZuluNatal, and saw a lot of animals.

We also spent a couple of days at a smaller private game lodge called Zulu Nyala, which is in the northern part of KZN, about 20-30 minutes north of Hluhluwe park. They had a nice lodge and offer 2 game drives per day on their property, which has a lot of animals, except no lions and only a few elephants and leopards.

by JohanIsWeg

Sandra, FYI, driving from Johannesburg to Durban is a 6-7 hour journey along the N3. Flying is slightly less than an hour. If you're uncomfortable driving, I'd fly. While the road between Joburg and Durbs is good, speeding on SA roads is a real problem and you'll probably not find this to your liking.

Having said that, I'd agree with a previous poster that Durban is probably no longer the destination it used to be. Lots and lots of crime. The Drakensberg Mountains would be a much better destination, and much more scenic as well!

Bergville may be a good base for you. As a matter of interest, the nearby Rangeworthy Military Cemetery contains graves of British soldiers killed in the battles of Spioenkop and Bastion Hill.

Hope this gives you some options!

Comments