40 Winks Cape Town Lodge

More about Cape Town

The lighthouse at Cape PointThe lighthouse at Cape Point

Street party at HoutbayStreet party at Houtbay

Boat at Robin IslandBoat at Robin Island

Put there by the Table Mountain Club of SA in 1922Put there by the Table Mountain Club of SA in 1922

Is there any wild game reserve near Cape Town ????

by jlanza29

Hi everyone, I have a question....I will be in Cape Town next month for a week, my girlfriend and I are really upset that due to the high cost we won't be able to go to Kruger....we choose to stay in Cape Town for a week instead. My question is .... Is there a wild game reserve within resonable driving distance to Cape Town ? Where we could take a day trip ? for a game drive ??? I know it would nothing compared to Kruger....we will have a car, and what I mean by resonable drive is 2 maybe 3 hours from Cape Town anything more is just to much for a day trip. Can anyone down there in Cape Town help me out with this, it would greatly appreciated !!!!! Thanks Jlanza29

Re: Is there any wild game reserve near Cape Town ????

by jlanza29

Wow...thanks for all the information....you were really helpful....wow...I'll look at the sites.....Thanks again !!!! Jlanza29

Re: Is there any wild game reserve near Cape Town ????

by jlanza29

Ian , thanks for your reply....the only way I was gonna do Kruger was to stay at some of these high end places like Singita, etc., I just didn't know how overly expensive they were.....I wasn't too intrested to begin with, but since we were gonna be in South Africa anyways I looked into it. Thanks for the advice that makes 2 people telling me to stay away from that place. If I do it, it would be cool, but if I didn't I won't lose any sleep either.....but thanks again for the tip.... Jimi

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Take a cable car up Table Mountain

by rachel_sun

The cable car only goes upTable Mountain when it is not windy and cloudy.Its best to go early morning or early evening to avoid queuing.You can book to go up and avoid the queuing too.Captour(Tourist Rendevous)at the lower cableway station or at the Waterfront information center.
When i go back,i will book the cable car so i dont have to que. Me after a nice meal at The Strand with Table mountain in the distance.

Hikes /Kirstenbosch ,Newlands (Cape Town)

by antonela

The walk that starts at the Constantia Nek parking lot and ends in Kirstenbosch Gardens fits the bill perfectly, bar the fact that there need to be two cars involved (one for each end of the walk) or one of you gets to jog back to fetch it, and believe me, the walk from Constantia to Kirstenbosch might be flat and easy to do, but the way back leaves Kirstenbosch at quite a slope up the mountain side. And doing the walk the other way, from Kirstenbosch to Constantia Nek, involves an entrance fee (you get into Kirstenbosch for free if you come at it from Constantia Nek).

The walk is part of a contour path that runs all the way along from Devil’s Peak to Constantia Nek. Really it serves as an access route through the numerous tree plantations and pockets of indigenous forest on Table Mountain’s eastern slopes.
The walk starts under a canopy of trees, slightly uphill until you reach the contour path. Actually the entire walk is well shaded and almost always beneath trees. The parking lot is right on the circle opposite Constantia Nek restaurant. Once you’re on the path it will fork after a bit. Almost every time we do this walk, one of us forgets that we were confused on the previous walk and we forget to the take the left fork, which heads up the hill. The uphill path is the bridle path and it offers some incredible views over False Bay.The other really fun walk is at Newlands Forest and takes around an hour and a half. The great thing about this walk is that it’s in the shade for most of the time, so perfect for those hot summer days. The idea is to walk towards the mountain from the forest station at Newlands. Take the right fork and head for the trees.

It’s an easy walk, even the inclines are not particularly steep, and any climbing is perfectly doable for little ones. Some people do this in the their lunch breaks in an attempt to invigorate tiring brains, and I can understand why, as it’s a particularly beautiful place to be and, when still enough, has an almost surreal feel to it.

Defending the cave man

by mvtouring about Informal Markets

The informal markets is a great place to visit and find something special to take home. Less expensive than buying it in a shop and the quality is exactly the same. You are just buying directly from the suppliers The zulu war shield makes a nice display on the wall.

Blue

by rcsparty about Blue

It is definately worth making it over to the Camps Bay area to eat at Blue. I received a recommendation from several VT members to try this restaurant and was not disappointed. While I made reservations, I showed up a couple hours earlier hoping to get seated, and the hostess not only accomodated us, but put us at a table overlooking the Bay. The service was quick and the seafood was very good. It is also in a great area to wander around after dinner. The view over the bay is very nice while you are eating dinner, so I would definately request a table with a view.

Ok, not overaly impressed !!!!

by jlanza29 about Biesmiellah

The place is suppose to be the most authentic Cape Malayian restaurant in the Cape Region.....the service was friendly and quick...it helped that we were the only ones there for lunch.......the food was OK, but the portions are way too small, one has to order 3 or 4 different dishes in order to get the right amount of food...the prices are cheap and the waiteress did her best to explain the dishes for us.....The atmosphere seemed more like a cafeteria than a restaurant.......If you want to try it be fowarned ..... the portions are tiny !!!!! Wouldn't do it again !!!!! Had stewed lamb with roti flat bread....ok.....nothing special.......paid 100 rand for lunch...cheap......you pay for what you GET !!!!!

Comments