African Tides Guesthouse

Mountain Road, Fish Hoek, Cape Town, 7975, South Africa

More about Cape Town

Genuine sign from the Boulders Beach car parkGenuine sign from the Boulders Beach car park

Helicopter in cape townHelicopter in cape town

Zebra getting waterZebra getting water

Cape PointCape Point

Table Mountain and Robben Island

by martyjake

I will be visiting Cape Town in November and want to pre-book trips to both Table Mountain and Robben Island. I am trying to find out if I need to do these trips on a tour or if I can just go by myself. What's the difference - in cost and in fact - on a tour vs. going alone? If I can go without a tour, can I reserve tickets from the U.S. for the date and time that I want? If so, how?

by anton64

No need (and probably impossible) to pre book these two outings. Tickets for the cable car to the top of Table Mountain available from the base station. Drive there yourself or take a taxi, it is 10 minutes out of central Cape Town. Cable cars operate between 0800 and 2200 weather permitting, you can also walk up. Cable car costs ZAR 130/person return. See www.tablemountain.net
For Robben island you buy your ticket from the office at the Waterfront, regular ferry trips over to the Island. Duration is abbout 3 hours and costs ZAR 150.00/person. Try booking in advance on ebookings@robben-island.org.za

by MikeAtSea

You don't really need to pre-book these trips. In the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront you'll find the option to purchase the tickets right there and head out at your leisure.
Once you are in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront go to the Table Mountain facing side of the complex - close to the cruise pier the boats depart to Robbin Island!
Enjoy!!

by JohnBOrlando

As far as Table Mountain, I went there first as part of a tour. We had to wait in line for an hour (in the sunshine) to get tickets and then felt very rushed up on the mountain because of getting back to the tour bus to continue the tour. I went back a few days later after Sunday lunch with a couple friends and it was great because we didn't have to wait in line at all to get tickets and then we were able to stay as long as we wanted to enjoy the views and ambience on top! I highly recommend not going with a tour, but try to plan to go when it might not be too crowded.

by njwhvp

make sure you phone the table mountain weather line on the morning you want to visit (google table mountain for number) as they stop running in high winds and you may turn up and be disappointed. So don't think of doing that trip on your last day

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Cape Town

by annieruel

Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, strategically situated at the south-western tip of Africa. When the world carried out its trade by boat, Cape Town was an important stopping off point on the spice route to and from Asia. The city lies about 60km north of Cape Point, in a natural bowl with the magnificent Table Mountain to the rear and the vast Atlantic Ocean to the front.

It has the reputation as being the most laid back city in the Southern Hemisphere with Capetonians adhering to "Africa time", which is somewhat slower than most other major cities. This relaxed atmosphere is attributed to Table Mountain which is known to be amongst the most spiritual places on earth. People are drawn towards the mountain and every visitor feels the need to climb up or take the revolving Cable Car to the top. At 1086 metres above sea level, you are privy to the most dramatic views of the whole of the Cape Peninsula.

The city is safer than most on any continent with a bustling street life of shops, cafes, market stalls and street artists.
I love this city :)

Helicopter jaunt round cape of good hope

by jmschief

Well it wasn't cheap to be fair, about £140 if I remember rightly but it was my first time in a helicopter and as I was running short on time to hire a car and travel - I thought what the hell!

You can do a quick jaunt around Cape Town or even charter the copter but we took an option in the middle and decided to go down to Cape Point.

Couple of things to remember, I'm not exactly the tallest bloke around and as a consequence I got the seat right behind the rotor. 2 of my buddies either side of me and one lucky fella in the front. Definitely the short straw I think so maybe you ought to limit a trip to 3 people rather than 4. It ultimately means it's that bit more expensive but hey, how many chances will you get.

We had cracking weather pretty much thoughout my stay in Cape Town but sods law, the day we'd booked the chopper from the V & A Waterfront, it was overcast. Still, we got a few pics in and it was quite a sporty helicopter and the pilot put it through it's paces and the adrenalin was definitely flowing!! Camera & a stern constitution if you get the mad pilot we had - I think once you've done this trip a few thousand times I guess the real fun is seeing the reaction of your passengers when you throw it into a dive!

Sante Wellness Spa - Simondium

by mvtouring

The Sante Wellness Spa is on the Simondium road between Paarl and Franschhoek and if you feel like you need spoiling for a day or more, this is the place the visit. The offer various treatments the latest being with grapes. They have a lovely big pool where you can do acquarobics or just swim at your leasure. Next to it is a jacuzzi. Then they have the wonderfull herbal showers, the sauna's etc that you can all use whilst there for the day. They offer a great lunch. So yes, take yourself there and be spoiled.

Local Train System in Cape Town

by Huntress_7499

Be VERY careful on the local trains. Robberies, assaults and similar occur on a regular basis and although the Rail service provider have done their best to provide security guards on the trains (according to them), it is not enough to deter criminal activities.

Believe me when I say that these occurances are not the exception, but the rule and I speak from experience.

In December 1999 a couple of hoods grabbed my handbag and threw me from a running train in full view of numerous other people. I suffered servere head injuries.

A few months ago a young man was killed for his cell phone. They did not ask him for it first. They killed him with a knife and then just took it, according to eyewitnesses.

TIPS FOR TRAVELLERS:

1. Wear any jewelery inside your clothers if you must wear any at all.
2. Keep your bag close to your body and zipped tight.
3. NEVER TRAVEL ALONE
4. NEVER TRAVEL AT NIGHT
5. Position yourself so you can see all entrances to your compartment / coach.
6. Be watchful of any unusual behaviour - like people standing at the door when there are enough seats available, or wearing long sleeves on a hot day.
7. Keep parcels to a minimum as it will enhance your chance of running away in case of trouble.
8. Do not fight to keep a grabbed bag / jewelry - it is not worth your loosing your life over!
9. Never display expensive equipment openly. I.e. keep your phone, camera, mp3 player, palmtop etc. hidden from view.
10. If you have to travel on the trains, travel during peak hours when there is lots of people around or be smart and hire an accredited taxi.

Fish Hoek's Bistro on the beach

by Jenniflower about The Beachcomber Bistro

We visit the Bistro practically every day when holidaying in Cape Town. It is located on Fish Hoek Beach, so location is superb!

We take a walk along the beach and/or the catwalk, and then pop here for a light snack, or if later in the day, a main meal.

The restaurant is very plain in décor, service is abysmal at the best of times, but the food is good. Nothing fancy, but fine, and a good price.

There is a kiddies play area next to it, so mum and dad can sip on some wine whilst the kids are playing there. Plus of course there is the beach, which is family-friendly and a big playground in its own right!

We love this beach. Our no.1 dish here is the Captain’s Basket, literally a basket of crispy calamari rings with some hot chips/fries.

This usually accompanies a glass of white wine! :)

Their Dom Pedros are also very good!

This, together with the gorgeous view of Fish Hoek Beach, is what a holiday is all about. When we lived here we did this often too, trying not to take it for granted!

Comments