Commodore Hotel Cape Town

Portswood Rd, Cape Town, Western Cape, 8001, South Africa

The Commodore
Agoda.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• Family

We stayed for a few nights with our 2 year old. We were allowed to check in early, but it did take a number of calls to get our cot delivery to our room. Otherwise the service was extremely friendly and I felt very comfortable walking around with our toddler, despite being primarily a business hotel. Excellent breakfast. Very good guest relations service.

Unique Quality: Great location for V&A waterfront. Tasteful nautical theme.

Directions: V&A Waterfront

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Lovely hotel near the V&A Waterfront

This 5-star hotel is located near the Victoria & Albert Waterfront, only 3-5 minutes walk to the V & A Waterfront. The staffs were friendly and helpful. Their airport transfer was great - they waited and picked up my friend from the airport at 5.00 am.

Unique Quality: Large clean and lovely bedroom with small balcony facing its sister hotel, Portswood Hotel, and with a view of the Table Mountain and part of the Waterfront whaft. Good firm mattress and pillows. Free coffee & tea facilities. Closet for clothes and room safe.

Good restaurant with excellent & large choices of breakfast buffet. Beautiful and comfortable lobby to relax and enjoy the after-sight seeing day; has a warm fireplace, and a bar that served excellent drinks and cocktails.

Best of all, free one-hour internet access per day. This is really good for me as I want to keep updated with all my personal e-mails.

More about Commodore Hotel Cape Town

Very nice hotel, perfect location

by TripAdvisor Member radar0976

We stayed at the Commodore Hotel for 6 nights in August 2006. While the hotel touts itself as a 5* hotel I would not say it is quite at that level. However it is certainly at the very top end of 4* hotels and is a very nice hotel. The staff are fantastic and very welcoming and friendly. In particular the travel desk in the foyer makes organising tours / excursions and activities absolutley simple. The ambiance in the bar area is really nice and relaxed. The terrace and pool just off that are lovely as well, although we didn't really use them seeing as we were there in Winter.

The whole hotel is spotlessly clean. Our room was lovely and we had a balcony with a beautiful view of Cape Town and Table Mountain. The room had everything you would want from a good hotel room. I would have no complaints at all about the hotel and if. It is very comfortable, homely and clean but is not quite total 5* luxury but is certainly 4 and a half star. The location of the hotel could not be better as it is literally 2 minutes walk from the heart of the V&A Waterfront.. Even at night it is perfectly safe to walk to and from the hotel to the waterfront.

Overall a great hotel with a lovely homely atmophere, great location and great value for money. You won't do better than the Commodore for a lovely hotel for your holiday without breaking the bank.

Fantastic place to stay in Cape Town

by TripAdvisor Member Ilovemypets

This proved to be a fantastic place to start our holiday in South Africa. The hotel is just as it appears on the website (----). It has a nautical theme throughout and is kept extremely clean.
All of the staff are efficient, friendly, polite, helpful and keen to tell you about where to go and what to do.
We arrived at 9am; having flown overnight from Heathrow. We were hoping to drop off our bags and check in later, so we were amazed when they apologised for only having one of our rooms ready and gave us free drinks whilst the other room was prepared!
Our room was spacious, comfortable, spotlessly clean and had all mod cons (hairdryer, tv, minibar, etc…). The bathroom had lots of workspace for toiletries and a generous bath and shower. Although we hadn’t booked it the room had a view of Table Mountain which was an added bonus.
There is a comfy lounge off the lobby and the buffet breakfast was superb.
It is close to the Waterfront – even I could make it in a few minutes on crutches!
The best thing I can say is that we would stay there again and will recommend it to others.

First class

by TripAdvisor Member Baggie32

Seven flawless nights at the Commodore, featuring the friendliest staff of any hotel I've stayed in. Sumptuous breakfasts with a muesli mix to die for, wonderful locatation just 100 yards from the Waterfront, and a superbly efficient housekeeping staff.

Room perhaps a little on the small side - but overall highly recommended and tremendous value for money.

Overall, a great hotel

I stayed here for work in February 2006.
Overall I was very happy with this hotel and I certainly would stay here again. The staff were very very friendly, and Michael, the concierge was just the best - nothing was ever too much trouble for him, and he always greeted us with a warm welcome each morning.
The location is just the best - 5 minutes walk to the Waterfront, but far enough away for it to be peaceful and quite.
Breakfast was great - a huge range of food to choose from.

Just a couple of negatives though. Firstly, the airconditioning in the room was very tempremental. It seemed very difficult to get the perfect temperature, and if it was very hot, and you turned the airconditioning up, it became very noisy. After a couple of days, I really thought I had got the room sorted at the correct temperature, but when I came back, I found that the cleaners had moved the dial, and so was back to square one again.

Secondly, the service could be very slow. You could go down to the terrace for a drink and still be waiting 10 minutes later for someone to serve you.

overall though, I had a great time here and would definately recomend it.

Housekeeping practices...questionable!

by TripAdvisor Member pwebber

I recently stayed at the Commodore in Cape Town 6/22-6/26. I read the reviews on this web site and felt impressed that it would be a great stay, and it would have been if they had better housekeeping practices. I booked on the internet and got a fabulous room, not only overlooking the waterfront, but I also had a great view of Table Mountain.. breathless! The check-in was great and the hospitality was alluring. On day two I realized that my bed did not have a mattress pad and there was a black stain on my linen, perhaps from the washing machine roller. I used the tea service in my room the first night and on the second night went to get another cup of tea and noticed a tea stain around the rim of the cup, which led me to believe the cup was not washed from the previous night. I marked the bottom of the cup with a pen and turned it over hoping that houskeeping would replace the cup with a clean one and also change the linens. I returned that evening and... fat chance, same dirty linen and same dirty cup. The only obvious thing that was clean (I hope) were the towels. The tub still had a dirt stain as well. I phoned for housekeeping and was unable to get serviced that evening. In the morning, I left a note on the bed asking them to change the linens. When I returned, the linens were changes, there was a bed pad on the bed, but the pillow cases were not changed, and the dirty cup was still in the room. I walked down to the restaurant and asked for a clean cup. When I checked out of the hotel, I wrote on the evaluation sheet that they need to invest in plastic cups for hot drinks, this way they can be disposed of, I also noted the dirty linen.

Wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member pippywee

The commodore is just a few minutes' walk from the waterfront, and is a welcoming, friendly, excellent hotel. Michael the concierge will do anything to help, the chef personally came out and offered to make our lactose-intolerant daughter some special pancakes, and the food is divine. Highly recommended!

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Oggo

We stayed at the Commodore for 5 nights, at the beginning of our honeymoon and were extremely impressed by this hotel. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite, and given use of a day room while we waited for the room to be prepared.
The reception staff, travel desk and concierge were all incredibly helpful. The breakfast was by far and away the best hotel breakfast we'd ever experienced and it was altogether an excellent start to our honeymoon.

The old usual Accommodation problem....!

by kuzuK

Coming out at Christmas and can't decide best location to stay....
we do like nice clean pref sort of "modern" rooms...not sure whether to go Waterfront or Camps Bay...or is it round "Kloof street??"..
Looking to spend around £150ish a night....
We like to go out to bars/restaurants....but not too "stuffy"...
also quite like hotels with good facilities and a little pampering...I'm not sure about smaller hotels as we are not "big" on quiet/intimate hotels but everyone seems to rave about the boutique style ones...
We intend to have a car and go out for some days but also like a bit of relax round the pool.....have looked at Westin/Commodore out of the "bigger" ones.....
any help would be brill......(or just someone to make my mind up for me!!)

by kilop1

Dear Suzuk
I didn't very understand to which country you are planning to go,but if you are in Prague I recommend you can try very different hotels in Prague (http://www.prague-hotels.org.uk) They offer different options from luxury one to budget.

by kuzuK

Ooops sorry - thought I'd posted in the Cape Town Forum.....!

by carteki

Why don't you take a look to see which hotels interest you and then we can give you some advice on whether or not they fit the bill. The Westin probably is your best bet at the moment - since you want BIG. It is very central - but just check if they have hotel parking.

by mandybee

Hi christmas time here in Ct is amazing and very vibey!!!!

I live in between waterfront and campsa bay - and I would reccommed staying this side as oppossed to kloof street, MAN+INLY because you will litera;;y watch the sun go down into the see every evening- if tou stay on the atlantic seaboard side-
hotels that I would like personnaly are:

1. The Bay Hotel - camps bay- awesome and great position
2. President hotel (bantry bay) its a "protea" so look under protea hotles
hotels

3 the radisson - near the waterfront - also great

all have awesome pools and good scenery-
the president hotel may ne quite busy with families though.
Let me know if you need more info

mandy

by mandybee

sorry about all my spelling errors - i was rushed and di not re read my post.

westin and commodore are ok- but they are not SUMMER vibey hotels!!!

by bradonthego

Hi all,

I went in south Africa last march. I advice Commodore hotel, a very good hotel

Enjoy you next Christmas !!

Brad (from France!)