20 Theresa Ave, Camps Bay, Western Cape, 8005, South Africa

Table Mountain VegetationTable Mountain Vegetation

South African Diamonds

by ldalton

Hi

My boyfriend and I are going from Dublin to Cape Town in a couple of weeks. We've been talking about getting engaged and I've choosen the type of ring I'd like however I'm reluctant to go ahead and buy one here in Ireland as I've heard that diamonds are more reasonably priced in Cape Town.

Has anyone bought diamonds in Cape Town and if so how do they compare to prices in Ireland and the UK? Is the quality of South African diamonds better since they're mined there?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

by carteki

I don't know how much of a price difference you'll get given that 90% of the diamonds for sale in the world are controlled by De Beers. From my friends experience the cheapest diamonds are to be found in the US! You will however gain as a result of not paying VAT on the purchase (actually you need to claim the refund at the airport when you leave). You will pay VAT in your own country.
Happy hunting.
Kim

by TRimer

I did end buying 3 diamonds in South Africa- but they were black diamonds that I have rarely seen in the US. I was referred to a diamond dealer/jeweler in Greenpoint from the jeweler at Tracey's diamonds in Franschhoek. It is always better to go to the source. Let me know if you are interested and I can look for his card.

by endabob1

My wife is south african and we got engaged in Cape Town a few (just counted and it's 6!!) years ago. Before travelling we priced diamonds in Hatton Garden in London and from my experience Cape Town was a good 20% cheaper plus as mentioned elsewhere you can claim the VAT back on the ring when you depart SA.

The other thing to consider is the exchange rate, the Euro is strong at the moment so you should be making a gain on that front too.

Qualitywise it's much of a muchness really, I would advise you (if you haven't already)do some homework on the 4 C's Clarity (imperfections), Colour (whiteness), Carat (Size) & Cut. there are loads of places to research this but below is an example.

Really you pay for what you get in terms of quality, but most jewellers will be ale to show you single diamonds for you to look at and after looking at a few you get a picture of what differences there are and more importantly what is more important to you. For example a half carat grade D or E Diamond with Very Very Small Imperfections may be the same price as a full Carat grade G Diamond with Slight Imperfections

One last thing, there is a big Diamond Factory in Cape Town which is quite good but you may be better off trying Jewellers around the city (I would avoid the waterfront as it is likely to be marked up considerably for the tourist market), we used a place in Sea Point who hand made the ring to fit my wifes requirements and the stone she had picked.

Hope this all helps

by TRimer

Mark Solomon was the jeweler I purchased the diamonds from too!

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Big City

by LarsLous

Well, the city is rather european, you really notice the colonial influence. After all, an english - dutch flair waves around the city. The archtecture and everything might be very british. I really had not the feeling beeing in Africa. But it is true, the city is beatiful. Maybe the beauty is fading when you see the slums, and when you feel the tensions between black and white, between poor and rich. But was I really surprised about that ? I do not think so. We were lucky, nothing really bad happened to us, and I like to remember this trip. An adventure, yes. My best memories are on the national parc of cape of good hope It truly feels great to be on the most southwestern point of Africa. Quite a special experience. Also the prison of Robben Island left unforgettable memories, although of a completely different kind. Maybe we all should rethink our attitudes. We should work together to stop those things. Let's work together for a better world, for more understanding and more tolerance. Look at Cape town. It is far from beeing perfect down here, but the first step of solving the problems was taken. Let's do the second together.

Yoga

by mvtouring

If you are looking for a place to do yoga, I can recommend going to The Spinnery. Suzi is a spiritual master and doing yoga with her is the best. She has been doing and teaching yoga for more than 20 years.

If you do not have a mat with you, she will rent you one. So all you really need is your yoga clothing.

Shop until you drop!

by Travelchili about Victoria & Alfred Waterfront

One of the best places to show in Cape Town is definitely in the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront. You can find a whole variety of stores there, starting from designer boutiques and finishing with gift and souvenir shops.

Cheaper than Malaysian- Qatar

by matt10gonzalez

There was a cheaper airline than Malaysian from Manila all the way to Cape Town. And it was:

QATAR AIRLINES

COST: $1050 Roundtrip from Manila to Cape Town with tax included.

Qatar airlines was cheaper, but its flight is much longer. Imagine it's already 14 hours from Manila to Cape Town via KL. It'll probably be 24 hours from Manila to Cape Town via Doha! And don't forget the stop overs, they can be killers. (Our stop over in Doha was supposed to be around 11 hours!)

Still, it can be cheaper than Malaysian so here's a tip:

TIP: Canvas around. Look for other airlines and compare which was is the cheapest!

SO WHY DIDN'T WE TAKE QATAR?

It's a long story but to make it short:

Oh! It was because of the stupid travel agency! You see, we THOUGHT we had the tickets already. (We had the e-ticket papers.) We were even already excited to ride Qatar but suddenly, just out of the blues, could you believe it? That travel agency merged and the employee, the one we book our tickets with, just LEFT WITHOUT even booking our tickets! (Take note: Without us knowing it!)
In short, we were about to go to the airport jumping up and down and telling the counter girl excitedly:
"Here's our tickets to Cape Town!"
But then, without us knowing it, the counter girl would have told us:
"I'm sorry, but your tickets are invalid."
Wow!
I would have felt like killing myself!
Could you imagine that?
And the worst part is,
We could have lost $4000+ dollars right away!
That's our 5 years savings!
Mom would have really gone berserk if that happened! (Which would actually be fun to video)

SOLUTION:

When this happened, we went crazy. We didn't know what to do.
But eventually, we calmed down a bit and called Qatar. And it turns out,
Our worst fears came true:
We really had no ticket.
The employee who left, really didn't book our tickets.
We wanted to kill the travel agency!
But that'll just land us in jail so,
We just had to get along well with the new employees in the travel agency and in the end, thank god!
They replaced our invalid Qatar ticket with a valid Malaysian ticket.
We just had to add 100 dollars.

Actually, in the end, it was quite a blessing. Because if we took Qatar, our flight would have been much longer and we wouldn't even have gotten a stopover there. But with Malaysian, our flight was much shorter and we even had a 3 day stopover there at the end of the trip!

So, I'm glad this happened.

Meet us at the.........Bell

by lynnehamman about The Brass Bell

Ah...............The Bell. This pub/music venue/cafe/meeting place and watering hole is one of Cape Towns oldest favourites. I have been visiting the Brass Bell since my youth- and it continues to be a favourite even now. Its noisy and casual. It sits almost upon the rocks, with the sea crashing up against the windows on rough days. It has indoor and outdoor seating.It is always crowded, day or night.But what a fun place. Its difficult sometimes to hear oneself speak above the music and noise, but thats part of the Bells atmosphere. After a few beers, no one minds.
The food is good- especially the good old staple -fish and chips.There is, however, a wide variety of fish, and it comes any way you choose-deep-fried, grilled or steamed-ALWAYS FRESH. With salads.
Chips are crispy and plentiful.
Meat dishes are also available.
Beer is on tap,and fine Cape wines are plentiful and reasonably priced.
Easy to reach, the Brass bell is right next to Kalk Bay station,which is on the Cape Town-Simonstown Rail line. Grilled Snoek, Chips and Salad

Comments