Hollow On The Square Hotel

9 Ryk Tulbagh Square, Hans Strijdom Ave, Cape Town, Western Cape, 8001, South Africa
Hollow On The Square Cape Town City Hotel
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 38% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Cape Town

Not an aloe, but a plant that Frank showed us!Not an aloe, but a plant that Frank showed us!

Robben island and the world of soccerRobben island and the world of soccer

Cape Town, South AfricaCape Town, South Africa

HermanusHermanus

working and living in western cape

by majid1

hellooo everyone,

my questions are directed to everyone esp. the locals.

I am a medical doctor from Dubai and I have been accepted to Join stellenbosch university to continue my postgrad education and I will be working mostly at tygerberg & groote schuur hospitals as a part of the training program .I just got married and my wife is so scared to go through with this and we have zero experience regarding crimes apart what we see in the movies . what we read about crimes rate in cape is really scary . we are asking whether these places are consider among the dangerous places ( parow ,bellville,goodwood, maitland ) or not ? what is the best area to rent a flat close to both hospitals? are these hospital an excellent place for training? please everyone i could use any inform. i appreciate your help & kindest regards .

by canuck68

I don't live in South Africa but I think you are in for an amazing experience.
Careful research should allay your fears. I do know that Groote Schuur is well known throughout the world as an excellent teaching hospital. It is situated in a beautiful location.
The South Africans can give you good advice. I have visited three times and never been the least bit afraid. Good luck. Our little town in Canada has many South African doctors and I think every one trained at Groote Schuur.

by lynnehamman

Hi

I now live in Sydney, but am a Capetonion born & bred.We had to leave this beautiful city -my husband set up a business in Sydney.
The hospitals, like Canuck says, are considered (especially Groote Schuur) to be amongst the finest in the world. I worked at Groote Schuur, and can testify to that.
Regarding the crime rate. Please do not believe everything that you read in newspapers, or see on TV. Yes- there is crime. Like in any large city, you would have to use usual precautions. But really- its not as bad as many would like to make it out to be.
Belville and Parow would be fine. Maitland.....not too sure about that. Its long since I was in that area.
You could easily travel the freeways to the hospitals. Roads are excellent.
This is a marvellous opportunity for you- don't pass it by.
I have made a page about Cape Town. The link is on my homepage. (click on my name for that)

by JohanIsWeg

Mate, congratulations first of all on your acceptance to further your studies at Stellenbosch Uni. Unfortunately, crime is a significant problem in South Africa and you would be well advised to brush up on crime prevention strategies. There are many such on the Internet - easy to research. Basically, be well versed in strategies that would minimize your profile of becoming a victim.

Do some research on Durbanville as a possible base. It is about 30km by road from Groote Schuur and Tygerberg is closer.

Good luck!

by Gerald_D

Hi Majid, welcome to Cape Town and VT.

You have to choose your suburb carefully if you want to avoid the crime. For Parow, Bellville and Goodwood, you definitely want to be about half a kilometer north of Voortrekker Road (R102). (Tygerberg Hospital is about half a km south of Voortrekker). Maitland generally is a bad choice. If you can afford it, the new development of Century City / Canal Walk is an excellent place to stay.

You may want to live in a Muslim community, but I personally have little experience there and could ask around if you want me to.

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Attractions outside of Cape Town: Tour Companies

by Airpunk

Many of Cape Town’s attractions are found outside of the city, especially when it comes to wildlife. Since public transport to this places is almost non-existant you’ll need to rent a car or rely on a tour company. Popular tour destinations are Franshoek and its wine goods, the cape peninsula with the national wildlife reserve, Hout Bay/Seal island, the penguin colony at Boulder’s beach, Kirstenbosch gardens or Hermanus with its unique places for land-based whale watching. Ask your hotel for tours and they will help you to find the right tour company for your needs. If you want to book on your own, the two largest tour companies are African Eagle and Hylton Ross. After I didn’t find any reliable data for African Eagle, I opted for Hylton Ross. Indeed, both times we went out with them, we had a lot of fun. We were always a group of six tourists in total, driving around the countryside and having fun. The guides and also the passengers were very friendly and open-minded. So, on the second tour we even started singing songs from each others country. I hope you are as lucky as me with the guides as I was. If you want to try it out, check their website and pick one of their tours. For further info, check my comments about the tours and the single attractions in my “Things to do” section.

Supermarkets in Cape Town practices

by jo104

I think a charge was introduced as a result of Cape Town trying to reduce roadside rubbish at first but of course it is also very enviromentally friendly.

There is a nominal charge per thin plastic bag added to your grocery bill. Or alternatively you can purchase a green bag which is a strong fabric bag for life currently Pick n Pay charge R5 per bag with a percentage going to enviromental projects.

The main supermarkets in Cape Town are Pick n Pay & Checkers (Shoprite) which equate to Sainsburys / Tesco (UK). Woolworths in SA is effectively a Marks & Spencer store.

In Centuary City where you pay for parking the supermarkets will stamp your parking card giving you an hour free when you purchase just one thing.

Shopping at the supermarket for picnic items & wine can save you an enormous amount on lunches out. We often take a picnic when we visit Kirstenbosch botanical gardens. They sell ready made salads & pies as well. You may also find wine is cheaper to buy at a supermarket then even on the wine farms & certainly cheaper then at the airport.

Visit Guguletu or a similar...

by mrsibf

Visit Guguletu or a similar development project. Tours can be arranged through hotels. Probably not a good idea to venture out into these squatter communities on your own, but we felt perfectly safe in the hands of our local guide.

Ragga dance

by tgirl007 about Uhuru

Great place to meet rastas and people of the type...a great environment to dance to reggae and ragga till the early hours of the morning.I love this place, here everyone is very friendly. No smoking cigarettes on the premises and drinking alcohol in excess is frowned upon, but it is sold....Dress how you please...

Gaylords

by morne about Gaylords

Gaylords Indian Cuisine is one of the best Indian Restuarants in the peninsula. It is a nondescript little restaurant, off the very busy Main Road in Muizenburg. The exterior is bright yellow so it's hard to miss. Parking can be a problem. If you decide to visit the restaurant, be sure to make a booking as they are usually fully booked.

Comments