Mountview Spa and Guest House

Mountview Spa and Guest House
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Cape Town

Rondebosch Guest CottagesRondebosch Guest Cottages

pod at cape town heli padspod at cape town heli pads

Elephant sitting rasing his trunkElephant sitting rasing his trunk

City lightsCity lights

Driving in Cape Town

by jeffa79

My girlfriend and I are considering a trip to Cape Town in October, followed by going on Safari and onto Port Elizabeth.

Neither of us drive, or at least would drive abroad, can we still do stuff without being ripped off in getting about?

Also, is Cape Town safe? We've been to places like Thailand, Morocco and San Francisco, so are used to hustle and bustle and a bit of crime, but none of them had 'no go areas'.

by anton64

Jeff, if you drive in London then CT will be a breeze. With the distances we have in SA you will limit your experience and chase up your costs enormously if you do not drive yourself. Public transport is well under UK standards.

Safety is an issue but if you follow some simple rules (as anywhere else in the world) you will be fine. There are no go zones in CT but check with the locals where you are staying, generally serious violent crime in CT is in isolated areas where you are unlikely to be anyway. When driving long distances try to avoid driving at night etc. CT remains our prime holiday destination so safety clearly is not that great a factor to worry about.

by johnaalex

Also in South Africa they drive on the left side of the road. When I went to Port Elizabeth I found it disappointing when compared with other towns along the route such as Kysna and Plettenberg. I would avoid PE if you can.

Driving in SA should not be a problem, but keep an eye on your speed as they are quite keen on using cameras to catch those going over the limit.

Regards

John

by JohanIsWeg

Mate, when in South Africa in 2004, I probably felt the safest in Cape Town, as compared to Pretoria, Johannesburg and Durban.
Aside from the crime "thing", which Anton addressed, something else to keep in mind when making travel decisions is traffic safety.
South Africa has an unfortunate road safety record, with a needlessly high number of fatalities (when compared to Australia, for example).
I drove myself in Cape Town, and witnessed a significant number of drivers who ignored basic road rules such as speed, seat belts, lane changes etc.
Hopefully things have improved in the last few years.

by tranjsfui

There are some 'no go aeras' in CT, so don't trust the GPS.
Take a look at this website. http://www.travel-cape-town.com/
They offer a car with a driver for a day for 100 euros. We had no problem with them, car was nice, and the drivers were good, so we had a nice time
Regards

by dan55

so i should make it out of CT without getting car jacked/robbed etc then? :D

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Stellenbosch vineyards

by Luchonda

Unique landscapes - wine tasting - mountains - nice people - black or white! Different generations ! Democracy is the objective - they will get their target !!
What are you looking for !!
This is SA ! Cape Town has so lot to offer - and it was my first contact with this country - but not the last.
First impression is different - but contact with the locals - inviting !!

Rugby in the sand!

by Jenniflower

South Africa is a nation of rugby players. And if you dont partake in it, you watch :)

The beaches are lovely areas where people get together to play various sports, beach rugby being one of them. You might not even know the other people playing, people just often join in. Its all very friendly and fun :)

Tulbach - Paddagang wines

by mvtouring

approx two hours drive from Cape Town you will find the town of Tulbach with its well known Paddagang Winery. All the wines are named after local frogs and have drawings of frogs on their labels. The restaurant at Paddagang is excellent and should not be missed. The village of Tulbach has a lot to offer so put aside a full day to do this region

South African Airways

by bpwillet

South African Airways is the national carrier for South Africa. While they do offer great service for connections around the world, their service on their aircraft is not the greatest. I was sat in one of the upper rows of their 747 jet, right next to the toilet. Not the greatest of seats to have. Also there is so little space for any hand luggage up there that I had to take my bags to business class and store them there--apparently this is a common practice. Even though I was on the aisle and had the potential to get bumped or accidentally stepped on--it happened with such frequency that I began to ignore it, which is a big deal on a 12 hour flight. The food was airline food but they did ask what type of wine I would like--it was a given with the meal. Their entertainment selection was quite good as well and it gave the passenger any option they wanted if they wanted to watch a movie, listen to music, or a tv program they could stop and restart at any time.

I would use them again but I think I would go for the upgrade. I was lucky enough to get an exit row on the way back from Cape Town because the ticket agent realized that being my height (6'4") I could be more comfortable there. Bless her!! One thing to keep in mind is that the non-stop London-Cape Town flight is usually very full both ways.

If you are hanging around the Cape Town International airport and think you forgot a gift for that special someone--not to worry. There are some shops that incorporate all your last minute needs from biltong, wine, souveniers to those "someone from Cape Town loves me" t-shirts. There are also a few restaurants to visit also.

HIGH-END food, HIGH-END crowd

by jlanza29 about The Showroom

I must say this is one of the coolest restaurant setting I have ever been to. Connected to the Ferrari and Lamborgihinni showroom room in Cape Town. This place doesn't disappoint when it comes to ambience. And it's considered the hottest restaurant in Cape Town right now. Chef Bruce Robertson formerly from the Cape Grace signature resturant has ventured on his own to open this place up. And the food doesn't disappoint. But the service did...it took us more than 10 minutes to get the menu's, after that our waiter seemed to forget everything we asked him for. We inform one of the manager's and within 2 minutes the Chef himself apologized and were treated great as everyone passed by to inform us that the waiter would be repremanded for such horrible service. At one point during our dinner he poured me the wrong wine...It was a total mess. Now the food it is very intresting the way the meal's are prepared. There is 6 different types of sauce one can combine with evey plate on the menu )I figured that out on my own) if we would have had a better waiter we would have tried some different combinations, but we were left to fend for our selves. The prices are very high for the local population. But a bargain for the US traveler. Price range from R30 to R50 ($4 to $7 US) to starter's, then R70 to R700 ($10 to $100 US) yes R700. For the main that cost R700 it is for a seafood platter with every type of seafood in it scallops, shrimp, lobster, fish, etc., at total platter of fine seafood. Food was perfect, price's were excellent, service horrible !!!!! beacuse of the service and because it was so obviously bad I give this place of 7 out of 10. I will recommed it, hopefully one can get better service that we did that night. Had vension steak on baked potatoe...excellent. Wine price's run for R70 to R300.....excellent selection....dessert were from R40 to R70....again excellent.

Comments