Dock Road, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa

Agoda.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• scaleguy's Profile Photo

Finest resort on the V&A Waterfront

The hotel is great. It became a game to play with the invisible housekeeping staff. The staff is the best I have ever seen. Every single employee I visited with was friendly, personable and helpful. I stayed in the main hotel and not on the island. I had the best view of Table Mountain which you do not get on the island. An incredibly large breakfast buffet will get you going in the morning.
    There are international power outlets available next to the desk in the room and a single 120VAC outlet in the bathroom. I had no problem with my PC and cell phone. South African power adapters were readily found online if you can handle the 220VAC power.

Unique Quality: Great view of Table Mountain.
    The concierge will set you up with anything you want to do.
    Easy walking distance from the main V&A Waterfront. Good bars and food available there.
    Next door to the Two Oceans Aquarium and wild seals sun on all of the docks and piers.

Directions: V&A Waterfront district

More about Cape Town

Isn't that a great view to have at breakfast?Isn't that a great view to have at breakfast?

Prison gemPrison gem

Cape Town, South AfricaCape Town, South Africa

Evil Baboons!Evil Baboons!

B&B in Cape Town

by Marion2000

Our daughter studies at the UCT and we will visit her after Christmas at the end of December. Can anybody recommend a B&B in or nearby Cape Town (for a week approx.). We will hire a car, so the distance should not be a problem.

And of course for any tourists sites besides the main ones, I would be grateful, too. We plan to travel via the Garden Route to Joburg for the 2nd week, too.

Thank you all!
Marion

Re: B&B in Cape Town

by CatherineReichardt

It isn't a B&B per se, but the self-catering Rondebosch Guest cottages (our Cape Town 'home from home') are only a couple of kms from UCT, and close to lots of restaurant - the accommodation is excellently equipped and extremely affordable with secure offroad parking, and might be a good and cost-effective option, especially if you're staying for a week. (See my Cape Town travel tips for more details). Otherwise the Nine Flowers in Gardens comes highly recommended (although I have not personally stayed there) - the only downside is that parking is at a premium in that area.
Obviously this will be peak season in Cape Town, so book yesterday!

Re: B&B in Cape Town

by EmmaN68

We stayed in Port View House http://www.portviewhouse.co.za/ last year it is about 5 mins from the Waterfront and the staff were lovely and it had the most comfortable beds!

A week is quite a short time to drive to Jo'burg and see as much as you would like. I'd suggest driving down as far as Knysna or Port Elizabeth at a push breaking the journey up perhaps in the Hermanus area. Then fly to Durban and drive up via the Drakensburgs staying a few nights there as well. We stayed at
http://www.cathedralpeak.co.za/ although it is a big hotel it is worth it for the views and walks. You can walk to see San Rock Art paintings which are well worth it.

Or if history is more your thing ie Zulu or Boer wars head towards Isandlwana we stayed at Islandlwana Lodge http://www.isandlwana.co.za/lodge.html and toured Isandlwana and Rourkes Drift with their guides (I thought I would be bored to tears it was my husbands thing but I loved it, and the Lodge is stunning!).

Re: B&B in Cape Town/ along Garden Route

by Fionasally

You mentioned that you wanted to stay along the Garden route en route to Johannesburg and I thought I'd mention to you that a delightful little place called Tide Cottage on the Belvidere Estate in Knysna would more than likely be available - amazingly enough for that time of year! It is a 4-sleeper, self catering little Garden cottage and the owners Pixie and Mick Roberts are most delightful and helpful. They can be contacted at pixmick@mweb.co.za or on the phone 0443871319. We have had to cancel a reservation and so I am trying to give them a bit of a punt and I know they have availability from 28 December to 4 January 2011. Enjoy your break! Best wishes - Fiona

Travel Tips for Cape Town

Tablecloth

by tim07

A visit to Cape Town isn't complete without a trip up Table Mountain. If you arrive there & the weather is good, I'd advise you to go up there as soon as possible.

The mountain is famous for its tablecloth - a thin white cloud formation that covers the top during certain weather conditions. Don't do as I did and leave your visit to your last day. Once up there you may find out that the tablecloth has arrived & you can't see a thing. It was actually clear when I set off.

Smily Face

by Jasoninlondon

In the townships of Cape Town a delicacy is a cooked sheeps head called a smily face. As the head is cooked the skin stretches leaving the face looking like it is smiling, hence the name. This delight will often be the meal for a whole family at night.

The ladies who cook this feast on the street start early as it takes over four hours to cook it properly.

Bon Appetite!

Lion's head

by Gard

Lion's head is about 600 meters if I'm not mistaken so it is a bit taller than Signal Hill and a bit small than Table Mountain. But you can drive to Signal Hill and you can take the Cable car to Table Mountain....BUT you have to walk to get to the top of Lion's head :-) And it was a great walk :-)..The day we walked up there was a nice and sunny day. The trail takes you around the Lion's head so you get a 360 degree view of the city and the surrouning area. I can't remember how long we walked but I think it took us about 1 hour to get to the top.

latest opening at the v and a

by jmschief about Mitchells

We stumbled across this place because like most English people I've come across overseas - we were looking for a late drink!

Everything shuts relatively early at the V & A but this place was open till about 2 I think. All the staff from surrounding restaraunts and bars actually came here for drinks after their shifts and it was really buzzing when we were there.

we spent most of the time upstairs which has it's own bar/toilets etc. and it's comfortable, relaxed atmosphere means you can just chill with a beer and relax None

OUR FAVOURITE RESTAURANT

by BerniShand about THE DOCKS RESTAURANT

We ate here almost every day, its in a great spot on the V&A Waterfront just next the the Gateway to Robben Island. The staff were really great, always cheerful friendly and helpful

The restaurant has seating outside along the harbour wall and inside down a short flight of steps
we usually sat outside in the sunshine as its a great place for people watching, and also for watching the resident seals swimming in the harbour we thought the food was excellent, we would start our days with the Docks breakfast which included some of the best sausages I have ever had,
my favourite dish was the seafood platter consisting of huge prawns, mussels, calamari, hake and crayfish [when available] if there is no crayfish you are given extra prawns and mussels, with vegetables, rice, fries and sauces, but you have to be really hungry to eat it all or choose the Seafood Combo, which omits the rice and the crayfish

I also enjoyed the chicken breast with feta and olive sauce, an unusual combination but really tasty

Comments